The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Random check-in:
Still in the doldrums somewhat, but with a bit of light on the horizon...that being specifically Enchanted Conversation's submission window (just closed), & a couple of pieces I had pre-written for their theme. So nothing new written for May (& I don't think for April?), but one just subbed and a couple others before that (already Rs). And still sporadically working on the one long-ish story that's been haunting me. And hoping I get whatever-it-is figured out soon...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I may end up subbing more than one this month. I discovered a bunch of flash stuff and micro-fiction when I was going through files today and I feel like getting it out there. Also considering one for reprint. We'll see. :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Random check-in:
Still in the doldrums somewhat, but with a bit of light on the horizon...that being specifically Enchanted Conversation's submission window (just closed), & a couple of pieces I had pre-written for their theme. So nothing new written for May (& I don't think for April?), but one just subbed and a couple others before that (already Rs). And still sporadically working on the one long-ish story that's been haunting me. And hoping I get whatever-it-is figured out soon...
Thanks for checking in, Annie. It's nice to know what you've been up to :) Sounds like you still have some forward motion, so that's good.

I may end up subbing more than one this month. I discovered a bunch of flash stuff and micro-fiction when I was going through files today and I feel like getting it out there. Also considering one for reprint. We'll see. :D
Yay! Go, soapy! Sub, sub, sub! *cheesy grin*

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I just realized the flash I did puts me all the way back on track. And subbed several (ok, 2, but both of them more than once and that counts, right?). Whee! :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what to work on next. I have a couple of things that are close to finished, a few that need more serious revision, and then the pile of partially finished roughs. Egh.

I did finally figure out why I've had a headache for the past two weeks. My jaw had slipped out of place. Been working on getting it back into alignment and I am feeling better. Hopefully a night of rest will put the rest back into place.

Think I'm going to look over the work I have close to finished and make some notes about what needs fixing, then call it a night.

We're into week #20 now. I need to catch up. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I didn't get really any writing at all done this past week, but it's also true I wasn't trying. Instead I was scrambling to put together an entry for the BBC's "Where's the TARDIS?" contest. The deadline was tonight, and I just managed to squeak it in on time.

If anyone cares, my entry is here: http://www.wheresthetardis.com/entry/100248

Now that that's done, back to writing (-:

-Suzanne

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So cool!
I love "warmer on the inside..." :D
I want to snuggle up under your Tardis quilt.

There's a garage near here that has a Tardis outside of it. I see it from the bus. I don't know if it's a genuine police box or just a faked Tardis replica, but I look at it every time I go by.
I'd get off and have a proper look, except it's two hours till the next bus.

Lol. Someone's took a photo and put it on flikr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/welshknight/2706389383/

Last edited:

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Too cool, Suzanne! I would have a hard time putting that out. I'd want it in my house :)

*lol* Lillie. That's awesome fun.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Trying to figure out what to work on next. I have a couple of things that are close to finished, a few that need more serious revision, and then the pile of partially finished roughs. Egh.

I did finally figure out why I've had a headache for the past two weeks. My jaw had slipped out of place. Been working on getting it back into alignment and I am feeling better. Hopefully a night of rest will put the rest back into place.

Think I'm going to look over the work I have close to finished and make some notes about what needs fixing, then call it a night.

We're into week #20 now. I need to catch up. :)
Yay for finding out why you had a headache! Rest up :)

Well, I didn't get really any writing at all done this past week, but it's also true I wasn't trying. Instead I was scrambling to put together an entry for the BBC's "Where's the TARDIS?" contest. The deadline was tonight, and I just managed to squeak it in on time.

If anyone cares, my entry is here: http://www.wheresthetardis.com/entry/100248

Now that that's done, back to writing (-:

-Suzanne
Awesome!

Tonight i did some quickfire editing on a story that'd been rejected this morning, shaving off 200 words in the process, and sent it back out. (tbh, i reckon it still needs work, but i didn't really feel like doing a complete overhaul. Naughty Izz! :D)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Made a few tweaks to The Collections Agent and sent it off to BCS moments ago.

Still crickets on everything else. A couple more stories need editing still before they return to circulation. Probably do one a day until I get them all done.

In the meantime, on to new material. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
There's a garage near here that has a Tardis outside of it. I see it from the bus. I don't know if it's a genuine police box or just a faked Tardis replica, but I look at it every time I go by.
I'd get off and have a proper look, except it's two hours till the next bus.

And no bookstores nearby? (-;

Too cool, Suzanne! I would have a hard time putting that out. I'd want it in my house

It only had to be out long enough to get a photo. Though it was absolutely pouring buckets, so me and the quilt both got completely soaked. It's been hanging up to dry ever since.

Made a few tweaks to The Collections Agent and sent it off to BCS moments ago.

Best of luck to it!

Crickets here as well. Hopefully will get the last revisions of my current story nailed down tonight.

-Suzanne

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And no bookstores nearby? (-;

In Trimsaran?

Tiny supermarket, off licence and chemist, I think. I don't think there's even a library.

That's so the inhabitants can eat, drink and be merry but don't have to think.

Our village does have a library (for now). It's open for a couple of hours on a Tuesday and a Friday.

Rural villages... Got to love them if you don't have to live in them...

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Tragedy's struck*: my laptop charger died a sudden, beeping, and ignominious death last night. I ordered a new one from amazon with all the fast shipping they could stick on it, but that still won't be here for two or three days at the earliest. Until then, I'm resigned to this old, quasi-destroyed desktop. To give you an idea of the state this thing is in, I get roughly half a paragraph ahead of it when typing. The only upside is that, while the word program's annoying, it's far less annoying than trying to slap this thing through the rigors of the internet. So I'll either A. get a bunch of writing done, or B. just get annoyed and waste time in an even less efficient manner.

*Alright, alright, it's kind of minor for a tragedy. Still annoying, though.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I'm officially in the oblivious-to-rejection stage. Just got the 25th. I'm getting lazy about doing cover letters, so I'm considering sim subbing.

Is this oblivious stage a good thing? Only time will tell.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tragedy's struck*: my laptop charger died a sudden, beeping, and ignominious death last night. I ordered a new one from amazon with all the fast shipping they could stick on it, but that still won't be here for two or three days at the earliest. Until then, I'm resigned to this old, quasi-destroyed desktop. To give you an idea of the state this thing is in, I get roughly half a paragraph ahead of it when typing. The only upside is that, while the word program's annoying, it's far less annoying than trying to slap this thing through the rigors of the internet. So I'll either A. get a bunch of writing done, or B. just get annoyed and waste time in an even less efficient manner.

*Alright, alright, it's kind of minor for a tragedy. Still annoying, though.

Poor laptop. :(

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I hammered out a scene between a couple of characters in a shelved novel. Supposed to be working on something else, but when the inspiration clobbers... what else are ya gonna do?

And 800 words in thirty minutes isn't a bad investment.

Now. Back to our regularly scheduled writing. :)

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Eep, I consider broken computer's a major tragedy myself. *comforts laptop and Nathaniel* And as my major time wasters are solitaire-like things, nothing helps. If there's no computer, I'll lay out the cards.

I decided to send Transparency Issues to Abyss & Apex as they're open right now and it's my best story to date (according to my husband and his opinion is the important one). I hope they hold onto it for at least a week though.

Still waiting to hear from IGMS. And doing this flash fiction thing, I'm really going to increase my output. And I might even tighten up some. I hope :) 2 new stories now. Only sort of complete though. (One only about half and the other needs tons of editing).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I've been using Duotrope for over a year and only today discovered the 'View Recent Responses' link. As if I weren't spending enough time on that site already.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using Duotrope for over a year and only today discovered the 'View Recent Responses' link. As if I weren't spending enough time on that site already.

Yeah. I set up an RSS feed of the response reporting. I have mine set so it only shows the responses coming out of markets I'm currently subbed to. It adds a whole new level to my cricketomancy. :p

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, W1S1ers, one of my stories may have blossomed into a series when I wasn't looking.

I realized the ending was too open. Because I don't kill one of the main characters off, like I usually do, I realized that she'd go on to...do more. And I kinda fell for these characters hard and *want* them to go on to do more. :D Only I don't know what the *more* is yet.

So...yeah. That's my report for today.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Well, W1S1ers, one of my stories may have blossomed into a series when I wasn't looking.

I realized the ending was too open. Because I don't kill one of the main characters off, like I usually do, I realized that she'd go on to...do more. And I kinda fell for these characters hard and *want* them to go on to do more. :D Only I don't know what the *more* is yet.

So...yeah. That's my report for today.

That's great. I have a novel (in-progress) that's basically a series of long short stories. Gotta love it when the characters make it obvious that you aren't finished.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Keep on keeping on, peeps! (i'd say something more specific and stuff, but my brain feels like swiss cheese, without the cheese)