zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I read the lovely description, saw the amazing cover art and said, "why yes, I'd like to be a part of that."

Pretty much exactly the same here. The cover art was what initially turned me off to submitting to the Memory Eater anthology, and the no-pay was the final deal-killer.

It was just one of those gut feelings...I dunno.

I'm totally not trying to persuade you otherwise -- if you've got a gut feeling, totally stick with it. It's why I won't submit to a particularly large and prestigious quarterly SF contest, despite the benefit it's reaped many friends and good writers I know (and I think I'm no longer eligible now anyway.)

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much exactly the same here. The cover art was what initially turned me off to submitting to the Memory Eater anthology,

You too? I ended up with what I thought was a fairly decent idea, but I kept going back to the cover, and decided against it. It's even still open after all this time, and I've thought about it more than once. But.

Shelley

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I disregard the royalty promises and view Fish as a 1c/word market. However, that's not the main reason I submit to them (and will likely submit to every anthology they publish as long as I come up with an appropriate story). I really like Dagan Books and what Carrie Cuinn (who is the sole owner/operator of Dagan) stands for.

They treat authors very well - promoting their work, publishing interviews with each author on their web site, pre-paying for accepted work way ahead of publication, etc. I got to work with them by having a story accepted into the "In Situ" anthology that hasn't been released yet, but i was paid months ago, have had a fair share of publicity (both for me and for the antho) out of it, and really felt as being a part of the team, rather just making a single transaction. Sure, they can't afford to pay very much, but I *enjoy* being published by them which is worth more than cash to me.

There is only a remote chance that I'll earn some royalties from In Situ or Fish (if I get accepted for Fish), but I'm confident that Dagan will pay any such royalties diligently if they make a profit and really am not at all in doubt of their legitimacy.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
You too? I ended up with what I thought was a fairly decent idea, but I kept going back to the cover, and decided against it. It's even still open after all this time, and I've thought about it more than once. But.

Yeah. I don't think even pro pay rates would overcome that cover for me.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
I...wow. Just looked at the cover for the first time, and yeah.

Despite that, I'll probably wind up submitting to it anyway. I'm looking forward to September...gonna try and write/submit two stories this month (The Memory Eater story, and one other). I have a lot of ideas running around in my head right now, so that should actually be doable.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I...wow. Just looked at the cover for the first time, and yeah.

Despite that, I'll probably wind up submitting to it anyway.

Best of luck, and certainly don't let my grousing about the cover stop you -- I have been cursed with an Art Degree (self-inflicted), which makes me insanely picky about such things sometimes.

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
I did actually end up writing a short fish story and submitting it. I'm really, really pleased about it, too.

I think it's the first pure fantasy story of that type I've ever written, revised and completely finished. I probably like it far too much in the rush of creativity that comes when you complete something, but whether it's accepted or not I think I have a nice little story to work with. I'm glad I did it just to have written such a story, good or not. I managed to get it under 1,200 words too, instead of going epic. :)

And now I get to commiserate. I'm included! :hooray:

I'm so weird.

Strangely, the story I wrote last week also has to do with fish, in a different way.

Shelley

Last edited:

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! I ended up socializing instead of writing/editing and found out too late they meant 11:59 EST and not PST. I'd actually given up on the fish anthology yesterday but things started to flow today and I actually stopped just to stick to an engagement I'd scheduled the day before. Silly me.

It's 10:44pm here for me but already too late to submit. :(

Anyway, congrats and good luck Shelley and the rest of you lot who got to finish and submit! :D

I'll finish this story soon and submit elsewhere I guess.

Last edited:

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Gah! I ended up socializing instead of writing/editing and found out too late they meant 11:59 EST and not PST.

It's 10:44pm here for me but already too late to submit. :(

Heh, rats. I just looked at my submission and it was 11:10 here, which is 12:10 Eastern. The submissions page was still up, and I got a confirmation, so maybe they'll consider it. It might be rejected outright if they're strict, though. I don't remember seeing Eastern time anywhere. :(

I'll have only have a month to wait to find out, either way, so that's not too bad.

Shelley

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Mergh.

Still waiting to hear something back on... well, anything. Leodegraunce promised to get back to everyone by today about the "Desire" issue so I'm hoping for good news there. But only a little. :p

I was hoping to hear back from DSF or Pedestal by today. An R from either would give me a story I could sub to the AW antho, but nothing so far. (I know, I should be pleased by the lack of instant rejections, but I'm antsy.)

Oh, well. I need to cobble together a short bio and an artist's statement for the script excerpt I sent off earlier in the week.

Somehow I think "A.G. Carpenter writes short stories because making movies is too expensive" won't cut it. ;)

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished my first September W1S1 story I guess--started about 4 days ago, abandoned, worked on a lot yesterday and now, a very rough first draft done at 2100 words. Might have to wait for another fish-themed antho though because this story's quite 'fishy.'

Good luck AllieKat!
And I'm sure you're fine Shelley! :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Just made three submissions already! Well, two were rejects and the other I was tired of looking at.

Now to actually write something. :tongue

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Sent my novel "Peaches In Winter" to Muse It Up. :D

Go you! Good luck!

Just finished my first September W1S1 story I guess--started about 4 days ago, abandoned, worked on a lot yesterday and now, a very rough first draft done at 2100 words. Might have to wait for another fish-themed antho though because this story's quite 'fishy.'

Congrats! I've got a story under my belt already this month, too, thanks to the Flash Blast I'm participating in.:)

Shelley

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! Oooh- Flash Blast sounds cool.
I want to try that when I grow up--still struggling with the fortnight version. :D

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shelley: Glad you had the last minute inspiration to submit to Fish. I'm sure they aren't going to be SUPER strict on the deadline, if you submitted reasonably close to it. I actually finished my story and subbed to "In Situ" at 11:45pm, because I was worried. Didn't get to do a second draft or anything, but it worked out :)

Now on to the Shock Totem contest and this month's crazy prompt. I already have some inklings of an idea for it, but I'll make sure not to send a beta to Shelley this time since she's in on the fun too.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Now on to the Shock Totem contest and this month's crazy prompt. I already have some inklings of an idea for it, but I'll make sure not to send a beta to Shelley this time since she's in on the fun too.

Actually, I looked at the prompt photos, and I won't be writing anything. I'm pretty sure no idea I'll get for them will be worth trying to write--I get nothing--so I'll have to wait for the next one.

Good luck with it! :D

Shelley

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read about a thing for a story, 1000 words or less.

And I got inspired and wrote nearly 2000, lol!

So now I've got to hack it right down.
I enjoy doing that, but I've never had to cut so much!

Wish me luck with it :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, at last!

The last couple of months I just haven't been able to write. Nice to be doing it again.

Down to 1600, I can do this, there's lots of flab.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rather like doing this. I like having a strict word count and having to keep to it. It stops me running off at the mouth.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm finally starting to feel ready to go tackle my current novel-WIP again. If I do that, do y'all mind if I keep hanging out here?

-Suzanne