Using same idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
So I have this idea of a scene to put in my book pictures hanging on the wall with moving pictures. It's a sci-fi book. But I don't want people to think I'm ripping off HP scene. Should I just make the scene my own?

I hope this is the right form,

Thanks

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's sci fi, right? So these aren't magical pictures that move, they're frames that play looped video. Or am I missing something?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if it's sci-fi then they would be special 3D holographic moving pictures, rather than magical fantasy movie pictures as seen in HP. Very big difference there, me thinks. :)

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yea, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure.
thanks

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Hasn't the moving pictures in picture frames been done by other writers? Why do I think I read a story with this happening in it? (Pre JK, I mean.)

I shall rack my brain and try to remember.

Edit add: Yeah, other people say the same thing when I google it - that the idea of moving portraits in literature is not something JK invented, but I still can't recall or find any books with it. Maybe I am imagining I read a story like this when I was a child. (I was a child in the 1950's-early 60's.)

Last edited:

sciencewarrior

It's alive!
Registered
Reaction score
If this is sci-fi, then those are simply monitors on the walls. You can connect them to the network or, as WildScribe said, let them loop through a video. Some go a step further and make the whole wall a single monitor.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I remember a scene in Stephen King's It that used a moving photo long before HP did.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Similar to this is the holographic images on the tombstones at the end of the movie Serenity. And I'm sure there are other books/movies I just can't think of atm.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
My goodness, this has been done in Back to the Future Part II and Minority Report. It would be crazy not to!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was done in Box of Delights (1950s).

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, these exist in real life . . . they're digital picture frames, and you can loop short videos to make them just like the pictures in Harry Potter.

They'd be practically antique in an SF story, lol.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
exactly

No point in putting in old technology. One the dot.com rich kids has huge digital picture frames hung though out his house, and changes the images depending on his guests preferences.

No point is mentioning technology if it's common place.

Uh, these exist in real life . . . they're digital picture frames, and you can loop short videos to make them just like the pictures in Harry Potter.

They'd be practically antique in an SF story, lol.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score

Some dislike certain formats, and I can't get some of my images to display fully (there's a border around one picture), so they are less amusing than I thought they would be... The tinny, echoey speakers are useless as well.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
So I have this idea of a scene to put in my book pictures hanging on the wall with moving pictures. It's a sci-fi book. But I don't want people to think I'm ripping off HP scene. Should I just make the scene my own?

I hope this is the right form,

Thanks

Harry wasn't ripping off Total Recall, where they had the whole-wall moving mural, which wasn't ripping off Bradbury's The Veldt, where the kids had an interactive Africa Room.....folks MAY identify it with HP, and if you have a few other similarities that may help to cement that in their minds, but in and of itself, "moving pictures" is not a new idea at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.