randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
+1

Seriously, why? Write what you want.

Like lorna, my stuff is light and fluffy. That's who I am, what I write. Why change that just because someone else thinks I should write Serious Literature?

+2!

Write what's in your heart. Forcing things will only come across as, well, forced.

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
It seems like there has to be some minimum amount of silliness in any fiction I write, otherwise I won't care about it at all. This has been frustrating lately; I want to write some Serious Fiction with my post-spring-2012 level of writing ability, but every attempt triggers apathy at best and revulsion at worst. And I'm aware that even the most dark and tragic stories can be told with a few silly elements here and there, but I'd like to write some stories without any.

Any similar experiences? Advice?

roof roof :(

No advice (other than what others have said about DON'T DO IT), but a question: have you read any Serious Fiction that doesn't have any humor at all? If so, how did you feel about it? Now, do you really want to push more of that onto the world? :) I suppose Serious Fiction has a place, but I just don't enjoy reading it. Honestly, if you hate what you're writing, chances are the reader's going to hate it, too (although not necessarily, I guess; I once got into it with William Styron at a speech was giving at our college about how much he hated writing -- but apparently there are people out there who love his work).

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
No advice (other than what others have said about DON'T DO IT)

I found the solution. (It doesn't involve "NOT DOING IT" ;).) I should update the thread title. I don't plan to start any long-form silliness-less projects, though, but I'll try some short-form silliness-less stuff. Most of all, I'm just glad I've found a way to not hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.