Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I stumbled upon/remembered this AW advice yesterday in a backward manner. I thought of something happening to my MC and thought, "Oh my gawd, that would be awful... so it's perfect!" I was actually embarrassed for him!! This will help me come to a plot point too. :)

Has anyone else used this/really asked this question to themselves? Did it work?

M.Macabre

The Walrus.
Registered
Reaction score
See, whenever I think of ''torture your character,'' I think literally torture your character, and it just becomes grotesque and no one wants to read it :/

BUT I think of this in a modified manner when plotting. When I plot, I always start with the ending, then concoct a beginning, and work chronologically from both sides. Depending on how long the work is, I create of series of tension points. But instead of asking myself ''what's the worst,'' I ask, ''What can I do that will make it seem impossible for the MC to achieve his/her goal, but can still work without jumping the shark or making people run in fear.''

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't actually ask that question. What I did is specifically put my MC into a situation (he's being questioned by the police) where he makes a stupid, embarrassing joke when it's way out of place - one of those things where you wince along with everybody else.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't actually consciously think 'what is the worst that could happen,' or 'how can I torture my character.' For me, it just happens on a subconscious level. If the MC is betrayed, or has his dreams smashed, or heart crushed, I don't ever pre-plan, just think up an idea and think 'ooh! what a great plot point.'

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been embarrassed for their MC.* :D I've done this to him several times, usually when he's being obstinate and not doing as told. I've even started a brainstorming session with "How can I make his life suck more?" ;) (I don't mean to say I just dump on the suck. Suckage is dumped as needed.)

*A couple of times I've wanted to facepalm and go "Dude! WTF? That is what you're going to say?"

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
To me, there's two types of this scenario.

The first is at the core of a character. Is there something he or she is ultimately striving for, that may or may not be achieved? Is there something that's a constant and consistent struggle to overcome?

The second are the obstacles encountered along the way, and are much more plot-driven. If your character overcomes a certain obstruction along the way to their ultimate goal, what now stands in the way? What unforeseen occurrence replaces the previous obstacle?

Both are great at propelling the story forward, and both can help show a greater understanding of who your character is, and is important to him or her.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
See, whenever I think of ''torture your character,'' I think literally torture your character, and it just becomes grotesque and no one wants to read it :/

BUT I think of this in a modified manner when plotting. When I plot, I always start with the ending, then concoct a beginning, and work chronologically from both sides. Depending on how long the work is, I create of series of tension points. But instead of asking myself ''what's the worst,'' I ask, ''What can I do that will make it seem impossible for the MC to achieve his/her goal, but can still work without jumping the shark or making people run in fear.''

I guess you wouldn't want to read one of my books then. The MC is literally tortured during the climax.

Status
Not open for further replies.