• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Printer] BookLogix / Apex Book Manufacturing

MiguelT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.PracticalCoralFarming.com
Unfortunately, I'm aware that with only one post my credibility might be somewhat limited, but I needed to post this to make sure that no one else gets scammed by this company. I guess my nonexistent post count is what I get for lurking and not posting on here for some time, but so it is...

I had done a printing with Apex Book Manufacturing before for 100 books. I had quickly sold out, so I wanted to get another 100 printed with some revisions, therefore it was to be printed as a new printing and not a reprint.

The sales rep for Apex Book Manufacturing, Ms Nichole Johnson, emailed me a contract, which after some back and forth emails that I'll go over below I signed and faxed. I received the tracking information for the books, and two days later received an email from the Ms Johnson asking me to call her. She stated that they were having the shipment canceled and shipped back to them. When I asked why this was the case said that her boss, Ahmad Meradji, had said that I needed to pay for the reprinted copies.

Reprinted copies? It turns out that before she had sent me the contract via email, she was still confused regarding the reprint, and had told her printing department to reprint the old version. This was before I had signed anything, they had taken it upon themselves to reprint the old version with no contract and no authorization. They were claiming that I needed to pay for the reprinted version as well if they were to deliver my books. Naturally, I refused to pay for their error, so she threatened that they'd just going to refund and I won't get anything, which ended up being the outcome.

Here are some quotes from emails with Ms Johnson before any contract was signed stating that they were aware of the changes:
“I am sorry I do remember seeing that but then you asked why the set up fee I thought you were staying with the same files. We charge a partial setup if you are sending over a new whole different file. I will see if I can wave this. When it is a reprint with no set up it goes straight to the printers. Sorry for the confusion.”
“There is no need for the updated quote. We are going to stay the way we are. I will have Omid look at the file and salvage what we can of the printed text.”
“Have all pages changed or is it just a couple throughout the book? I am sorry for the misunderstanding again.”

Due to their breach of contract I lost nearly $1500, and my credibility suffered immensely with customers who were waiting on copies. I'm still regaining my credibility with wholesalers who were waiting on initial copies, so my advice would be to avoid Apex Book Manufacturing at all costs.

Rosemeade

Registered
Reaction score
Apex Manufacturing

Having been in the publishing business in many different ways and having gone down many avenues in which we needed a printer, we have found Apex Book Manufacturing to be one of the best companies in the nation. Not only have they delivered us books quickly as possible, but they have continuously taken our book files and perfected them without insulting us which is more than I can say for many many printers out there. We have done business with Apex for a couple of years now and have found that ALL of the employees at Apex are friendly yet professional. The integrity level is high at this company and they have done everything they can to show us that if and when they make a slight deviation from our orders, the issues have resolved almost instantly. I would recommend this company to anyone needing a book printed, as we have now printed as many as 7 titles or more with them. We would be glad to speak to anyone wanting a recommendation with this firm. Rosemeade at Entry Way Publishing.

Last edited:

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
Any chance someone's had any recent dealings with these guys?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Apex relaunched own site Fall '15 (http://www.apexbm.com/#!main/vyk8s).

ETA: Aha! Insight into the relationship (from here):

President & CEO, BookLogix

Ahmad Meradji has over twenty-five years of experience in publishing and on-demand printing. He was involved in setting up the first digital book publishing and on-demand printing models at Xerox, later serving as a consultant in the publishing industry. In 2007, Ahmad co-founded Apex Book Manufacturing. As Apex grew, Ahmad and his business partner, Akash Mangru, saw a growing need for a resource for authors who wanted to independently publish their books, and launched BookLogix.

Ahmad is passionate about helping authors publish their work, and sharing his extensive knowledge of publishing and on-demand printing. He is a frequent public speaker on the topic of publishing, sharing his insights at a number of universities, conferences, and community events.

Last edited: