• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carolyn Jenks Agency

sascoggin

Hard to put a name on
Registered
Reaction score
Raleigh Dugal, Acquisitions Editor, just responded to my query with a request for the first 50 pages. I'll let you know the tone of any response I get.

No one else? They claim to have been around since 1979.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Well, in looking over the website, aside from Ms. Jenks, whose previous experience appears to be mostly in publishing, based on the numerous staff bios, I didn't notice any real mention of relevant agent experience. Lots of warm-hearted personal info, but no mentions of any sales or previous agent work. And some of them look like they're barely out of high school (not that that matters, really).

Mr. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Good day all, I sent out hundreds of query letters earlier this summer and as you might of have guessed I received dozens of form letter rejections. The other responses were from "editing" agencies and vanity publishers. Then I received a response from a young man that says he works for the Carolyn Jenks agency. I went to their website and they look legit but something didn't feel quit right. I “google'd” the mess out of the agency but couldn't find any information good or bad. Does anyone out there no anything about this agency?

thephoenix

Registered
Reaction score
they look extremely legit, and i think they are. alas, i don't know how to properly search for background information. i mean, a lot of their interns are from harvard and wellesley.

thephoenix

Registered
Reaction score
just found out via the interwebs, not sure if this is accurate, but she sold Anita Diamant's 'The Red Tent' which is PRETTY big

Source

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I looked them up on predators and editors and an update in 2004 said they "no longer charges upfront fees"

Which sounds like they were sketchy, but aren't anymore? I don't know

Madame Butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
They requested a partial from me end of October. Haven't heard anything yet (?). Im thinking of following up maybe in a month or two. I thought they might be good since they sold 'The Red Tent', which is indeed pretty big.

Madame Butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, good point. Thanks for making me aware of this, Victoria. I do wonder though what it means that they represent the "estate" of Anita Diamant.. i thought it was just a fancy way of putting things but now I'm not too sure.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
When an agency represents "the estate of" a writer, it means the writer is dead but the agency continues to look after the works of that writer--by ensuring royalties are paid by publishers where required, that if new deals are struck they're the best that can be made, and so on.

It doesn't guarantee that the agency or agent concerned represented that writer when the writer was alive, though.

Madame Butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's strange, because as far as I know, Anita Diamant is still alive and kicking. Hmmm.

Madame Butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Oops... re the estate, I got it mixed up. I checked the website, and this is what I've gleaned:

"Anita Diamant's fiction career was launched with the publication of her bestseller, The Red Tent, by St. Martin's Press and Picador, which has sold close to 3 million copies to date and been published in fourteen countries. This property is actively represented by Carolyn Jenks Agency."
What do they mean by that (re the last sentence)?

I also saw that Anita Diamant was listed in the "backlist" of clients. Does that mean she's no longer a client?

Sorry, I know I'm really clueless here.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
My guess--I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong--is that the agency sold that particular book, and then the two parted ways, but that due to the agency agreement the agency still handles that particular book, or something along those lines. I could be wrong, though.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
My guess--I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong--is that the agency sold that particular book, and then the two parted ways, but that due to the agency agreement the agency still handles that particular book, or something along those lines. I could be wrong, though.

You are correct. Diamant is now repped by Amanda Urban.

The history of how The Red Tent became a success is actually quite interesting. Carolyn Jenks sold it to St. Martin's Press for a modest advance; it languished in hardcover, but its phenomenal success in paperback was largely due to Diamant's tireless and inventive self-promotion--in an era before author self-promo was the norm.

- Victoria

Madame Butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, i see. Thanks for enlightening me, everyone.

I actually heard about Carolyn Jenks because in 'The Red Tent', Ms Diamant acknowledged her as her agent. So I thought she might be good. But well... Anyway, i haven't heard back from them on my partial, and seeing as the feedback I've been receiving on them has not been too positive, i guess i shall cross the off.

Thanks again. :)

Snafu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ijsarfeh.com
I'm new to Absolute Write, but I saw the mixed reviews of the Carolyn Jenks Agency. She recently offered me representation for my most new novel, so I asked the advice of a respected, New York based editor. Here's what she emailed - verbatim: "This is wonderful news! I am delighted for you. Carolyn Jenks has a wonderful reputation and deals with only the smartest, most literary authors. She has a terrific track record with theater and visual art as well and I do think she would provide a perfect home for your beautiful novel. I am so happy to hear this and am sending my heartfelt congratulations."

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Well done Snafu! Congratulations :))) So happy for you! You said "most new novel" so does that mean you have a few already published? Did you have an agent for those? If so, any reason you swtiched?

Snafu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ijsarfeh.com
Thanks, Purple Rose. Yes, I've published 6 other novels, but they were unagented and with minor e publishers. I had one horrible experience with an agent before, which almost soured me on looking for another. But then, the multitude of rejections changed my mind.