Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's a sense of entitlement, of ownership even, that some people perceive in regards to their environment. They don't consider themselves part of the whole but rather as masters of the entire structure that can manipulate life however they please. In their minds, they're not doing anything wrong and are merely exerting their dominance over other creatures.

That is so true. I've never been able to understand this mindset. It makes me angry and upset... I hope they catch the culprit who killed the bird.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
That is so sad that some moron killed that bird. Senseless killing. They probably felt pretty proud of themselves after having done such.

Thank you all for the compliments. I would post more of my flowers on there, but I don't really get that much traffic on DA because I'm not really that active on there myself. I have them on Facebook and Photobucket, I think that's enough places. lol.

Tonight I started on another art project, and it's turning out pretty well so far. Another drawing of one of my other characters. I've come to notice that any people I draw from my memory have a tendency to all look very similar. I can draw from photos of different real life peeps and have them come out looking like them, but my imaginary peeps all looked cloned. Haha! I'm trying not to do that. The background on this new project is going to be a pain trying to get it started, but afterward the shading should be easy. I may post a picture of it after I get the outlines done so y'all can see the difference between the beginning of the drawing and then the finished project. If you'd like. Back to the drawing bed. I have no drawing table. I draw in bed. lol

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's a sense of entitlement, of ownership even, that some people perceive in regards to their environment. They don't consider themselves part of the whole but rather as masters of the entire structure that can manipulate life however they please. In their minds, they're not doing anything wrong and are merely exerting their dominance over other creatures.

More and more, though, I find those types regretting their actions eventually. They might have thought that a fine and a slap on the wrist would make up for the loss of life, but they were sadly mistaken.

And that's all I have to say about that, except I'm not alone in that belief, at least in this area.

This, a million times this. I realize that not everyone here comes from the same angle as I do, but I view this through a religious prism. We're to take care of this beautiful earth, to nurture it, not to wreak havoc for our own selfish pleasure. One of the reasons I'm vegan.

::works hard not to rant::

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of flowers, here's a couple more I took while trespassing visiting the front yards of random homes: I took pictures of them anyway and beat a hasty retreat while they dialed 911...

Silver King, if you go sneaking and prowling around yards, always pay attention to the size of the dog crap.

12_kleiner_koeter.jpg

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
While searching for info today on Snagov Monastery, I was sidetracked for like an hour on this website that has gorgeous pictures of Romania. I had to stop because I was wasting too much time, but bookmarked it to go back later. A lot of it is landscapes and city scapes, and wanted to share because it is too beautiful not to. I sure do wish I had the money to go there. Sucks being poor.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Hello all! I have missed you, and if only I had a camera, I might have something add to this thread.

I've moved to my new apt, and it's incredible. I have a patio and it opens up onto a manmade creek/stream complete with pond and weeping willow growing out of the bank! There's a family of mallards that paddle around! There's an amazing tree (over in the common area) with these large almost peony-looking flowers growing all over it, and a large bush outside my front door growing very large red blooms - they are frilly and sort of fluted. Down the way, there is another bush that grows what looks like irises.

I love this place. When it rained, the creek got all bubbly. And I loved the rain dripping off all the greenery. If I can't write here, I think I should stop. It's very... I don't know. Magical.

I have to get a camera.

Here are some of the pictures from the apts website. I think these are from the opposite end of the creek - not on my side at all. That might be a willow, but it's not my willow. Mine is a little larger, sits on a bit of a bank and it actually leans out over the water more.

S_650_650_BL010164.jpg

S_650_650_FOUNTAINS_2.jpg

just a shot of another walkway - nowhere near my apartment, but you can see the trees and such

S_650_650_EXTERIOR_BENCH.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Silver King, if you go sneaking and prowling around yards, always pay attention to the size of the dog crap.

12_kleiner_koeter.jpg
Damn! That's one small horse. :D
While searching for info today on Snagov Monastery, I was sidetracked for like an hour on this website that has gorgeous pictures of Romania...
Wow, some of those pictures are breathtaking. Thanks for sharing the link with us.

Oh, bettie, it's beautiful! Congratulations on your new home!
If her neighbors are as tranquil as those scenes, she might have found a nice place to pursue her writing goals in a peaceful setting.

If anyone is interested in viewing live ospreys in real time, there's a camera set up near this nest. Originally there were two chicks, but one of them died. The female has since laid another egg as recently as this evening, perhaps in the last hour or so, and it's visible in the nest at this very moment.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Bettielee, that is the most awesome apartment complex set up I have ever seen. I love the stream and pond. I lived at an apartment complex once in Farmington Hills, Michigan, that was surrounded by a golf course. It had ponds and ducks and such, but the tenants weren't allowed on the course unless you were out there to play. I was afraid to go outside onto my teeny tiny patio for fear of getting hit with a golf ball. They had come close a few times.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
the only drawback is the bugs. Lots of midges... I can see a veritable tornado of bugs out there... but I can get one of them candles... it is very peaceful and so far, the people are pretty quiet.... all the better to enjoy the supersonic whine of the BART trains.... it's part of the ambience.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I told my boyfriend I wanted a hammock, but he won't let me have one. Said I wouldn't use it. I said, yes I would, I love hammocks. He said, you wouldn't stay out there long with all those mosquitoes in the yard. Sadly, he's right. Stupid mosquitoes.

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread! I definitely need to grab my camera and head out this weekend! Until then, however, I wonder if anyone could help me identify this fellow? I found him online once but forgot to label the picture :( I call him a "feather-foot duck" but he's not a duck, he's an American something-or-other, I believe, despite the fact I took his photo in Annecy, France :D

Europe494.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, bettielee, what a beautiful setting! It's like living in a park. I could see myself unwinding on the patio overlooking the water...glass of wine in hand after a long day of work...Enjoy!

Sorry, Yasaibatake, I have no clue what that bird is, but those are some funky feet!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I call him a "feather-foot duck" but he's not a duck, he's an American something-or-other, I believe, despite the fact I took his photo in Annecy, France :D
It's an American coot, I think.

Do you have any other images you can share? I'm almost sure but not quite positive about its identity...

Yasaibatake

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I think you might be right, SK! That name sounds familiar, at least. Unfortunately my photos are all a little bit out of focus (these were taken a few years ago, when I was just starting to get into photography) but they're fun nevertheless:

The same guy, a few seconds later:
Europe495.jpg

I think he knew I was fascinated by his feet and was showing off:
Europe496.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought coots were old...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like it's doing the Parisian coot walk.

Yasaibatake

Registered
Reaction score
^ :ROFL:

Thanks for figuring that out! That was much faster than I would have come up with anything by myself. My mom's going to be so excited when I tell her what he's really called!

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
thanks, Swach! I'm very excited - can't wait to get a bug repellent candle and some outdoor furniture.

It's an American coot. What it's doing in France, however, I can't say for sure. ;)

clearly, he's on vacation! Showin' off them fancy footworks! Those are the most amazing bird feet.