Writing As an Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

scribbledoutname

Nobody said I couldn't.
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading through some older threads and noticed that a lot of people say that they write as an escape.

It's a bit surprising. I mean, I enjoy writing, but is it an escape? I don't know. I can't imagine "escaping" into my work unless I were to craft some kind of Mary Sue (made of my desires) and lead them through a set of experiences where all of my own personal desires are met. I get little moments of that in my writing, but only here and there.

I think it would be awesome to be able to see my writing as an escape. I wonder, is it the type of story you're telling? Or the world? Is it the pre-writing (where your imagination can run free) that's an "escape" for you? Where does escaping come into it?

PS: I don't think escape is a bad thing at all, so I don't mean it in a running-away-from-life way. We all need a bit of it to avoid going nuts ;) I'd like to do it myself, haha. Maybe then I wouldn't get distracted so often.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's that when I'm really absorbed in the work, time stops and the work is all there is.

M.Macabre

The Walrus.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not entirely escapism, at least for me, but more of an outlet. It's alone time, therapy, self-speculation, studying, and fun all rolled into one. I've also always been a ''creative'' person, coming up with stories ever since I was seven, but without putting them on paper I'll just daydream endlessly.

Yet when i was younger I would say it was an escape. Do I want to murder a bunch of college students vacationing on an island off the coast of France, or be marooned in space? Of course not, that's horrible. But I love B-horror movies, and SF, so that's what I've written. And in those moments that I'm creating, I don't have to focus on the other stuff in my life.

luxisufeili

Aspiring to be non-rejected
Registered
Reaction score
For me, time speeds up. Like, I start writing for one minute, and I look at the clock and three hours have passed.

I get what you mean, though. Most good books are a reflection of our world. But it counts as an "escape" because the characters are the ones dealing with the world, and the author's sort of like the torturer/"god" looking over it. Some authors do make themselves characters in their books, but it's still not the "real" themselves in the world they created.

Also, writing lets you feel free. No censorship, unless you decide to show your work to someone else or publish.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
It is kind of an escape, for me, but not in the typical sense. I write fantasy, and my world-building literally takes me away for a while. A free mini vacation, if you will. :) I'm not writing wish fulfillment or anything, but the world is so real to me that when I plan/research/write everything tends to fade away for a bit.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing because I had too much time on my hands, my mind doesn't stop working, I was heavily inspired and then, I wanted to keep these stories I created longer.

Now, it's like reading. Some people read to escape, I write to escape.

Between college, professors, side jobs, cleaning, cats, eating, drinking, pissing, defecating, mother, the chaotic world outside; I'd like some time to just F@#$ off and dwell into something that I'm partially living, learning from and experiencing.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
It is an escape for me. Writing takes my mind off the hopelessness I feel about my life. It has nothing to do with what I'm actually writing as long as I'm absorbed in it.

There is some wish fulfilment in my writing. When you feel completely hopeless, it doesn't take much for something to be wish fulfilment. It's kind of like...writing is the only way for me to experience things, even fairly mundane everyday things, that don't seem to be possible in real life; it's the only way I can experience what life would be like if I wasn't severely depressed. The only way I can dream. Because I can't dream for myself.

Pinkclaw

Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of it this way and I wonder if it count because I already leave on my own world part of the time. I love to create and stories are my favorite subject. When I'm working on a story I'm completely there and there's no outside world, but running of the outside world is not my objective just a consequence. I write because I have too many ideas and if I don't work them out my mind feel to full. Make sense?

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
It's not entirely escapism, at least for me, but more of an outlet. It's alone time, therapy, self-speculation, studying, and fun all rolled into one. I've also always been a ''creative'' person, coming up with stories ever since I was seven, but without putting them on paper I'll just daydream endlessly.

I agree with Macabre.

As somebody who has struggled with clinical depression for years, writing has definitely served as a healthy outlet for me. It can be really cathartic at times, and as Macabre said, it is absolutely helpful in terms of self-exploration and writing does have, without question, a therapeutic aspect to it.

I'll also echo the other posters who have said that getting lost in one's work while writing is part of the magic of the craft. Whenever I need to get outside my own head and into one of the characters' (well, not whenever, but many times), all I need to do is pick up a pen and write.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think of it as an escape, except in the sense that I get to say "I need to work and you (hubby and child) are distracting me, so I'm going to go sit in Starbucks" sometimes and literally use my job to escape the house. Ha! Probably not what most people mean by it. :)

I don't actually particularly love the process of writing (although I do not dislike it), but I love having written and I really love selling things, so I certainly have motivation to do it.

Sometimes I do write escapist stories, I guess, but not terribly often. I am pretty damn happy, and have little reason to want to 'escape'.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
For me, reading is an escape. Writing is an outlet. These ideas and characters running around in my head and keeping me awake at night must get poured out.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing works as a coping mechanism for me.
Like I just found out my latest rag-tag vehicle has some major issues, such as the transmission going out.
My cousin has agreed to fixing it for pennies.
However I'm so broke I can't afford a pot to -- as Will put it.

So instead of fretting over what I can't control I get into the realm of what I can. So, writing helps me. Keeps me sane too.

Apart form that writing has enriched my life in a number of ways. Its granted me insight and the ability to pick things, even people apart and view them from different angles than what they present immediately. Its taken me places I've never been before, it has lead me to challenge taboos, expand my boundaries, meet new people, broaden my horizons, invest time in learning about things that are of no interest to me and increased my intelligence as a result.

Writing has even gotten me a german kitten to fawn all over.

I know some people view it as a means to get away and all that good stuff. But I'm one of those people to whom writing is a way of life, not a means of escaping it.

However fruitless that may be in terms of money...

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think when writers see it as an 'escape' it wrong to see it as a mark of Mary-Sueism. For me, it's when I can forget the preesures of work, bills and the world in general, and focus wholly on the work.

It's nice when the whole world falls away, and there is just you and the act of creation. :)

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I don't write as an escape. I have a little vodka for that.

But I can understand how it is an escape for some or even many writers. You're in a diff. world for a while - sometimes a long time - and it gives you a break from your personal life. (If said personal life needs an escape from it.)

My personal life is stressful, but I don't feel I need to escape it. It is what it is. I deal and move on. Even when I had a fairly peaceful personal life, I still wanted and needed to write.

For me it's more of a 'need' than an escape.

KYcactus

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write as an escape. I have a little vodka for that.

Ditto that. I was thinking the same thing. Escape is bourbon. Writing is a production and creative outlet.

Think of life like exercise. You can ride a bike for cardio. You can lift weights for muscles. You can attend yoga class to improve balance and tone and de-stress. Ultimately they improve health. Not just one, but a mix of them all.

I have many creative outlets: photography, guitar, writing professionally and personally. I don't pursue those to escape. I pursue those because without multiple outlets that serve my moods, I would probably just suffer.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
When I write, I'm not running away from something but running toward it.

scribbledoutname

Nobody said I couldn't.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay :) I think I was really looking at this "escaping" thing in the wrong way. I guess if it's in a going-away-from-the-world briefly sense, I also escape into my writing already. I'm still wondering whether it's an outlet or not. Occasionally. When I write about things that reflect stuff that's on my mind. But not usually -- I tend to focus on things that I (and people who read my genre) might enjoy.

So I guess that most of the time it's simply entertainment for me. Not the same kind of entertainment as watching a movie or reading a book, but a sort of you-get-little-bits-of-it-up-front-and-reap-the-full-rewards-when-you're-done sort of entertainment. Writing has its ups and downs but the joy peaks when someone else reads it -- if they enjoy it. Which they usually do.

Thanks, everyone :) I know this was a slightly odd question to ask but I'm glad you all answered :)

Darkwing

When I was younger, before I stopped writing fanfiction and learned craft, it really was a kind of escape for me, like reading. In a sense, I miss that feeling. I haven't been able to really escape into a mansucript for a while now. Too many worries about whether I'm showing enough, or whether my sentence is clunky, or whether the story's just not good enough. The difference is that I'm writing with an aim to be published now, where before I was just writing for my own pleasure.

So, no, I don't really see my writing as a source of escape anymore. I kinda wish I could. :/

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I have used it TO escape, sure. Bad relationship, bad fight, I turn to the writing and get lost in my world for a bit. It's not that I prefer to "live" in my world, but the act of writing can soothe me and take my mind off life's scariness.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
For me it's a chore. I love having the ideas, but it's so hard for me to come up with the words that it's just a big chore. I want to be done with my WIP already so I can revise and then query and start something new.

To some degree that world I create and solving the problems I raise with the story is a sort of nice fantasy place to visit for a while but writing is just work.

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
I call my preferred sort of writing 'escapism', because I like stories that take place somewhere very different from my reality. If I want realism, I walk outside. (Of course, a dose of believability is expected, but believability in SFF is essentially high-quality and well-executed B.S.) I read SFF because I enjoy sinking myself into a world with different rules, and I write SFF because I enjoy making up worlds and rules of my own.

That's not to say I feel that I need to escape my real life. It's not all shiny, but it's alright. However, it's a lot less exciting than the lives of my characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.