Writing As an Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had anything I wanted to escape, and really no need for an outlet. Writing is simply a very enjoyable way of making money.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I just like telling stories. It makes me happy. It's the only thing I do that I can get completely absorbed and lost in. It's the only thing I'll work really hard on. I live in fantasy land anyway, I might as well get a book written out of it. I don't really know how else to define it.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you all. I use it as an escape or a way for me to wind down from a busy day right before I go to bed.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I think we all have times where we'd like to escape something; while writing can lend itself very well to that cause, I just enjoy writing. I do it because I like to do it (and might even make money from it).

Julie Ambrose

Reader, I married him...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julieambrose.com
I seem to agree with everyone at once. It has escapist moments, is a need rather than a want, has the promise of income, and is work.

But mostly I just enjoy doing it. :)

Julie

GregThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dystopian-novels.blogspot.com
Writing to me is the exact opposite of escaping, if it's anything, it's about engaging more with the circumstances of my life and working out what the hell is going on.

I like my stories to explore social themes and issues and to simplify some of the more complex patterns of existence. So yeah, its the exact opposite.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I have a fairly mundane job without much intellectual stimulation. Writing more than makes up for this, but I don't see it as an escape. It's an essential part of my life.

But I do hope it will help me escape from my mundane job...

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Real life is boring. Writing gets me away from real life. That's why I write fantasy. It is an escape. So is reading fantasy novels. That real world stuff just doesn't interest me, though I should probably get working on that at some point.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's definitely an escape for me. I can be/do whatever I want, and concentrate on someone else's life and their problems instead of my own. They can do things in their life that I cannot do in mine.

I used to think it was an outlet, but not so much anymore...

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
It definitely is an escape for me. It's not that I imagine myself in my stories—I go out of my way to not put anyone like me or anyone I'm close to IRL in my stories. I write to get away from everything, including myself.

And writing is so all-absorbing that it's impossible to think about anything other than the project at hand when I'm doing it. It's also a way to do something that actually matters, even if it only matters to another world.

Oddly, my stories aren't "wish-fulfillment" at all. They're seriously dark and fucked up. But that's what makes them so addictive and interesting. Or something. Lol, I have no idea really why I write what I do.

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see it as an escape at this point. It's work, work that I enjoy, but work nonetheless. When I wasn't pushing myself so much to finish my WIP, it was more relaxing.

Mykall

Registered
Reaction score
It is absolutely an escape for me. Nearer the end of the day, I am already looking forward to building my world, one word at a time! I forget all my problems, and even the pressing ones all seem insignificant somehow. After all, if I lost everything and somehow ended up in a jail cell with nothing but my mind, I can still write! And my mind would be free.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
I just like telling stories. It makes me happy. It's the only thing I do that I can get completely absorbed and lost in. It's the only thing I'll work really hard on. I live in fantasy land anyway, I might as well get a book written out of it. I don't really know how else to define it.
Ha, pretty much this for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.