• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The LA Literary Agency (formerly Maureen Lasher Agency)

allion

If anyone is familiar with Biba's cookbooks, here is a story about what her agent has allegedly done to her:

sacramento.bizjournals.co...tory2.html

Almost a half-million owed to Biba for books she never knew she was to write - :ssh

Who thought there would be that much money in cookbooks? Mind you, I think we have a few of these on our bookshelf at home.

Anyone heard anything through the rumour mill about this agent and any other alleged nefarious deeds?

What strikes me most about this story is that Biba has worked with this agent for over a decade. You would think that after that period of time trust would be assured between the two parties.

Guess not.

aka eraser

Re: From the "better no agent than a bad agent" fi

Ouch. Poor Biba.

Thanks for this allion. I'm going to (try to) copy this over to the B & BC board too. Some folks there will be interested.

Greenwolf103

Yup, cookbooks are hot selling items.

This article is scary. I really can't help but think of how/why this agent to some pretty big names suddenly started acting unethically.

Stlight

I'm new to this board and have been reading the posts. Now I have a question from this thread. How was this possible? Didn't the publisher expect a signed contract from the author before sending the advance? I have little to base my thoughts on how agents work, but I did suppose that the publisher would want the author's signature before releasing a large sum of money. Please, tell me how this works.

Stlight

aka eraser

Hopefully Victoria or one of our more experienced authors will respond to this too but I have a guess. It may that an agent of longstanding, as Biba's was, can make a deal for his/her author. It's also possible that the signature was forged. I suspect the details will trickle out as the case unfolds.

vstrauss

>>It may that an agent of longstanding, as Biba's was, can make a deal for his/her author.<<

Yes, you can empower your agent to sign contracts for you. Much as I trust my agent, I would never do this, though I suppose this can be convenient for busy authors, or if your agent is at an overseas book fair and wants to do a subrights deal for you on the spot. If the allegations are true, it may be that this agent took advantage of that--or maybe, as Frank says, might have forged the signature.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Biba, the cookbook, and the agent

More proof, if you needed it, that the author/agent relationship is based on trust.

So far as I know this case still hasn't been resolved.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I have never signed anything before money is collected. Everything goes through my agent, and for all I know they could be withholding royalties!... they aren't, though; I do get the royalty statements and although they are gobbledegook to me it all seems to tally. I never even consdered signing before money is sent to them.

MeeMee2000

Registered
Reaction score
LA Literary Agency

Has anyone had any experiences or have info on the LA Literary Agency (Los Angeles)? Per Writer's Market, Ann Cashman and Eric Lasher are the agents. It doesn't list a website though.

Marisa

Registered
Reaction score
Current Status of Eric Lasher and Maureen Lasher?

Does anybody know what the current status is of this case?
It ends where Eric Lasher and Maureen Lasher of the Maureen Lasher Agency just disappeared. How can that happen?
Eric Lasher and Maureen Lasher now have another agency called LA Literary Agency.
I looked for Ann Cashman and there are no photos anywhere. Has anybody actually met Ann Cashman or is that an alias for Maureen?
I found another legal lawsuit against Eric Lasher where he kept advances for writing a book years ago. It was years ago but still...

J. B. LIPPINCOTT COMPANY, Plaintiff, v. Eric LASHER, Defendant.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19771423430FSupp993_11256.xml/J. B. LIPPINCOTT CO. v. LASHER

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website recently revamped, including addition to submission page:
Our sister company, LA Book Doctor, provides professional editorial services to authors. A Book Doctor is a professional editor who works with you to improve your book proposal, nonfiction manuscript or novel. This includes reorganizing, polishing, improving content and basic structure.
The URL in the contact email (labookdoctor.com) is currently a holding page.

ETA: up and running. Refresh URL for agency page: https://www.laliteraryagency.com/

Last edited: