• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TriadaUS Literary Agency

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
Professional what, exactly?

---Professional writer. As in, I earn my living---a good living, mind you---exclusively by writing. (As a staffer and freelancer for publications and research institutions at present; hopefully for books at a future time.)

your refusal to listen to what you're being told.

---Okay, so now this is a matter of me not listening to direct orders being given to me by you? Sorry, I don't recall being at your beck and call, Three Seven. Now who's high and mighty?

You also called someone an idiot by _deliberately_ misquoting me as having called someone an idiot in your above post, and also by _deliberately_ misquoting me as someone who has called someone petty names. The fact that you now acknowledge you were wrong in both instances further illustrates my point.

My mother told me once when I was five that "whenever you point your finger at someone, there are three fingers pointing back at you". I think that is an appropriate observation to make here.

That said, you are certainly welcome to disagree with me on my opinions on TriadaUS. And any writer has the choice to query/not query any agent that they want, or if representation is offered, to sign/not sign with that agent based on their experiences during the submission process. That's fine and dandy. Not every agent is right for every author, and the agent/client relationship is a highly personal one that should be the right "fit" between the two----and as in every kind of relationship out there, not everyone is going to "fit" together perfectly. I just don't think it's appropriate to disparage an agent whose only offense in the whole scheme of things is rejecting someone, or having different opinions on a writer's work from the writer's own opinion about him/her self, or perhaps not being the right "fit" for that author. None of these things merit an agency being "bad". It's not like TriadaUS is a scam agency bilking poor suckers out of money or running a sham vanity press or something. They are a legitimate agency running a legitimate business, and they do have documented sales to royalty-paying publishers within about a year of opening their agency---and therefore are on track to becoming a solid agency in years to come. I challenge anyone to opin otherwise, regardless of whether they would choose to work with this agency themselves.

saraht

Registered
Reaction score
Today, 10:47 AM #48
Sakamonda said:
I stand by my comments. I just have a hard time sympathizing with people who whine about rejections, when rejections are a daily occurrence in any serious writer's life. There just isn't much in most of the posters' comments to make me think it's more than that---whining. If they want to post more information to the contrary, it's their prerogative to do so---or not. But as it stands now, that's my opinion. Anyone is free to disagree with me, but it's still my opinion that it's sour grapes for being rejected.

I SAY:

You sound as if you know all there is to know about every one here when actually you don’t know jack.

I’ve read your posts and have only one question for you. Why are you so angry?

Another thing, why should it matter to you who signs with what agent and what agent don’t or won’t sign a writer? Does any of this effect you? Why aren’t you happy that you have signed with Uwe? Better yet, how many books has he gotten published for those writers he has signed? From what I have read he has not been successful in getting anything published. Does this make him a bad agent? No, in my opinion it does not, just not a very successful one.

So, in closing my one and only comment on this thread, if you don’t like what you’re reading on this thread, then stop reading it and go to another thread. And for goodness sakes, get happy!

Violet

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
I am happy

For the record, Violet, I am very happy with my representation. Why do you think I defend him so ravenously? He has been doing a bang-up job getting my book in front of top editors, and he is a professional and a gentleman to boot.

What I am unhappy about are some of the unreasonable attacks made by disgruntled (read: oft-rejected) authors on my agent simply because he is a newer one.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Kasey Mackenzie said:
Maybe you all could move the irrelevant bits to PM's or Take it Outside...This really seems to be degenerating from its original purpose.

Ditto :flag: !

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sakamonda said:
Okay, so now this is a matter of me not listening to direct orders being given to me by you? Sorry, I don't recall being at your beck and call, Three Seven. Now who's high and mighty?
For the love of Christ, NO. You're not listening to what your other members have said about their experiences with this agency. You're refusing to acknowledge that others may have had bad experiences with them, choosing rather to attribute their discontent to a mere rejection. Will you STOP twisting my words to suit your own agenda.

You also called someone an idiot by _deliberately_ misquoting me as having called someone an idiot in your above post, and also by _deliberately_ misquoting me as someone who has called someone petty names. The fact that you now acknowledge you were wrong in both instances further illustrates my point.
I neither quoted you nor deliberately misquoted you. Everything I said about this in my last post was accurate. AGAIN, you're responding without reading.

That said, you are certainly welcome to disagree with me on my opinions on TriadaUS.
And there you go AGAIN. I have not expressed an opinion about this agency. The ONLY opinion I've expressed is the opinion that you're being deliberately difficult and inflammatory. You can tell me you're right until you're blue in the face, but it won't change the fact that you're disrespecting everybody here. This is helping neither your credibility nor your welcome.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I said I was done. I guess I lied. Sakamonda, I cannot fathom how you could still assert that I was merely whining about having been rejected. Just as I cannot prove that my motivation is other, you have no proof that your experience with TriadaUS has been beneficial and wonderful for you. I am taking you at your word and have congratulated you on it.

It is insulting that you would insist that my word is not of the same value. My experience with TriadaUS was simply different from yours. This is the forum to share that. I cannot state any more plainly that the ultimate rejection was not a problem. My experience ended up being an overly dramatic saga, which Uwe and I discussed and resolved. In fairness and appreciation for the positive aspects of my dealings with Uwe and TriadaUS, my comments were meant only to caution PurpleLady to keep grounded. Submissions, particularly early on before rejection callouses form, can be nerve-wracking. This is what inspired my original post. If you refuse to acknowledge that, then yes, you are attacking me.

I think we have gotten your point that you are overwhelmingly impressed with your agent. That is wonderful and you have every right, even somewhat of an obligation, to sing his praises here. A few of us had episodes with that same agent that gave us pause of not such an enthusiastic sort. So, net score for Uwe and TriadaUS seems about what one might expect for a new agent and agency.

Last edited:

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
So, net score for Uwe and TriadaUS seems about what one might expect for a new agent and agency.

As an impartial observer, that's what I get out of this exchange when you distill out the emotion.

It's best not to make assumptions beyond what is stated in posts and then make replies based only on those assumptions. We don't know what exactly occurred between this agency and the authors who weren't satisified, and it's out of line to refer to them as "disgruntled (read oft-rejected)" when we know no such thing.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Sakamonda said:
I am still waiting for my novel to sell, but he has been able to get my novel manuscript in front of editors at numerous big imprints----Broadway, St. Martins, Pocket, Llewyllen, Atria, Red Dress Ink, and Kensington, to name a few.
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of novel would be a suitable fit for Llewellyn, St. Martin's, and Red Dress Ink.

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
Sakamonda said:
Victoria, while I think all the work that Writer Beware does is TERRIFIC, I am surprised that you would take issue with the fact that any agency uses associates to evaluate manuscripts, when virtually all agencies of any size do this; whether to process the large volumes of slush or to manage certain genres. I know in my agent search, 90% of the agencies I queried used associates for the first couple levels of the selection process (queries, partials, even the first reads on fulls). If it's Writer Beware's policy to question the use of associate agents, then most literary agencies would be considered bad, wouldn't they?

Sakamonda - I don't think this is the issue here. The issue is qualified associate. In the case of an earlier post, the author was told to inflate his manuscript and the associate questioned the overuse (3 times) of a certain word. If someone had read the complete manuscript, with a true editor's eye, they would make more useful comments than those.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of novel would be a suitable fit for Llewellyn, St. Martin's, and Red Dress Ink.

If I'm correct about Sakamonda's identity and literary credits, her WIP is heavily cross-genre and would have elements that would appeal to each of those markets, though it probably does not solidly fit into any one of them. Although I have not read her WIP, based upon the descriptions I have found of it online, the genre that claims it will largely be a marketing decision.

For the rest, I think everyone needs to take a step back and a deep breath before responding further on this thread.

Thanks.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:

I can't speak to the needs of Llewellyn or Red Dress Ink, but St. Martin's is highly diversified. Genres range from Robert Ludlum's bestselling techno-thriller,Ambler Warning, to mainstream heart-tuggers like The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere.

The also have the Thomas Dunne imprint that publishes dark fantasy, supernatural, and horror themes.

Nice folks at St. Martin's.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Another deal closed. . .

TriadaUS has sold another book since this thread was closed. Dr. Stender seems well on his way.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Sakamonda: Title? Author? Publisher?

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
Sakamonda said:
TriadaUS has sold another book since this thread was closed. Dr. Stender seems well on his way.
How many books has he found publishers for so far?

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. . .

That is correct, Dragonjax. He's also recently landed a few minor celebrities as clients.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Here I go, jumping in.

It doesn't seem anyone is against TriadaUS or the agent Uwe. What it seems is that there is a problem with his associate. The associate is the one who seems to respond to mss. non-professionally, with comments that aren't along the lines of what the submitted mss. is all about.

Now I leave....:gone:

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I think we've discussed the associate thing quite thoroughly enough already...Unless someone is able to contribute new information, I'd like to see this issue rest for the moment. Thanks, all.

- Victoria

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, from what I can contribute I will say that Uwe responed to my hard copy query via email with a very personal touch and quite a sense of humor. He also called me long distance, but got hold of the message on the phone and decided not to record a message. I found him one of the more accomodating and courteous agents, and he indicates that he's trying very hard to place good material with all of the majors, and seems to be attending every conference and event in the industry to push his roster. The guy's worn his legs out trying to establish himself in an industry that is already in serious glut with agents and new writers.

He's now made three sales, and is gaining legs--hitting his stride. Granted, they are non-fiction titles, and he has yet to make a fiction sale, although I think he might need to update his website once again.

He requested my "manuscript" without any particulars, and I don't know what to think of this--whether it was for the synop and a partial, or for the full. I'll have to get back with him and get this clarified. I'll let you know.

As far as an associate or reader for an agency, I think I own the hell ribbon for having three of my books lanquish in Richard Curtis's basement for a period of 1 1/2 years with NO responses, updates, call-backs, or encouragement. So it can certainly go both ways in this business--and Curtis is no small hitter in the sf and fantasy field.

I'd personally like to go with a newer agent who's hungry like the wolf, and will pull out all stops to get me reviewed somewhere--anywhere for gawd's sakes.

Just my humble.

Tri

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Associate

My original post on this got erased in the server rollover, but I just wanted to post that it seems Uwe uses several different associates to assist in reading manuscripts. Although I have not dealt directly with her, he is using an associate to copyedit my latest ms. (contemporary romance) who has proven she is more than savvy when it comes to catching inconsistencies and typos that had passed me and my entire beta-reader team (all professional writer/editors) by.

Uwe has indeed gotten my first novel in front of editors at several of the major pubs. We haven't made the sale of that book yet (it is cross-genre and proving difficult to move in this difficult fiction market) but my second novel will likely be easier since it is straightforward category romance. The guy just busts his butt constantly. He is definitely starting to hit his stride as he makes more sales.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Thanks for your input Sakomonda. Uwe just emailed me this morning and verified that he would like the whole manuscript. Now that's pretty heavy initiative when you consider that I only sent him a QUERY. Said he was intrigued by the query, so why not send the full. Again, he was humorous and conversational and so swift with replies it blew my doors off. I was immediately struck by liking this agent as a person first--and that's exactly what this business is--a person to person relationship that involves business.

So, I for one, would be grateful to jump on his roster and go along for the ride. If it doesn't work out, I'll certainly remember him as the most fearless and congenial agent I've known, and I wouldn't have any problems recommending him to a paranoid or skittish writer. He has a calming effect right from the gate.

Tri