Sorcery

Vision of a Crow

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I joined this forum in order to gain the necessary tools with which i can corner some publishing company to get my book in print.

I can only say that i am very disappointed to join a writing community, log into the other category, and....... nothing.

Now i have finished my first book, called Identity Crisis, which revolves around the topic of sorcery, and now i am thinking..... is the lack of interest here good for me or bad for me.

That is not what disappoints me however. In my own, quasi-religious, anarchist life, i have come to the conclusion that exploring awareness and developing ones own relationship with spirituality is beneficial. I invite anyone to take their own journey.

My book is loosely based on the theory of sorcery presented by Carlos Castaneda. His work has been questioned and discredited, but so has every other belief, so i am not disheartened.

If anybody wants to discuss topics like this, be their own personal explorations or my own methodology, you are very welcome to comment.

Vision

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Welcome,
I'm afraid it's not so much your choice of subject as the particular subforum you chose to post in.
If you use the forum search tool, you'll see that Castaneda has been discussed in many threads over the years.
I can't guarantee how many members are interested in him. I'm not particularly, although I do have a very broad interest in religion.
Also, while many people come here for advice, the community is here both to learn from and to comtriibute to.
While we each have particular needs and interests, we also try to have much to give beyond the specifcs of our own interests.

Nimyth

Registered
Reaction score
Castaneda

I joined this forum in order to gain the necessary tools with which i can corner some publishing company to get my book in print.

I can only say that i am very disappointed to join a writing community, log into the other category, and....... nothing.

Now i have finished my first book, called Identity Crisis, which revolves around the topic of sorcery, and now i am thinking..... is the lack of interest here good for me or bad for me.

That is not what disappoints me however. In my own, quasi-religious, anarchist life, i have come to the conclusion that exploring awareness and developing ones own relationship with spirituality is beneficial. I invite anyone to take their own journey.

My book is loosely based on the theory of sorcery presented by Carlos Castaneda. His work has been questioned and discredited, but so has every other belief, so i am not disheartened.

If anybody wants to discuss topics like this, be their own personal explorations or my own methodology, you are very welcome to comment.

Vision
I do not like his works at all I feel he was very disrespectful to the indigenous cultures whose traditions he so greatly misrepresented.
I do not like his philosophy or world view either. Anything resembling his works,ideals, or philosophy is a a complete turn off for me. It is a personal pet peeve of mine.

Now as to the topic of Sorcery, Shamanism, and or Pantheism....I enjoy a good debate/discussion of those topics anytime.

Last edited:

ECathers

Amuck! Amuck! Amuck!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionrhod.com
You'll probably want to come over to the dark side...errr <cough> ...the Pagan area, as we will probably tend to discuss various things about sorcery and magick. We also have at least one person there writing magical realism.

Plus we have cookies.

Another place to discuss this might be the Science Fiction/Fantasy area.

Wilde_at_heart

&#965;&#960;&#949;&#943;&#954;&#969;phobe
Registered
Reaction score
With an entire 31 posts it's completely unsurprising to me that you aren't finding much.

I find plenty, but then again, I'm nearing 2000. Sorcery revolving around 'creating coincidences' and so on is a subtle component of how magic actually 'works' in a WIP I'm still tweaking and have an online acquaintance on another forum who claims to be a real-life practitioner.

My recommendation is to participate more - at less than a 100 posts you're basically a lurker and probably most others on here have barely noticed you. If something interests you, make some threads.

Last edited:

Nimyth

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone has the right

To follow their own path, especially when writing their own world. The ultimate freedom to 'create' the world as you choose. However, just a heads up on Castañeda- his books were boycotted by several Amer-Indian, Pan-AmerIndian, organizations and several Panthiest, Humanist and a whole list of other organizations that I know of.. You may end up 'turning' off several potential readers without just cause, due to the numerous negative associations with his works/ideals.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
For myself I am quite happy to discuss the occult and metaphysics in all of its facets... person to person. I do not like discussing it online.

Vision of a Crow

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I have been away from the site for awhile and just read my thread starter for this post. My apologies. Negativity is not the best way to start a conversation.

I am simply fascinated that in a world that offers freedom of choice and expression that more people do not take advantage of that truth.

I agree with you though elinor, i suppose some things are simply best talked about in person.