Hello... I'm Gretchen {Hi Gretchen} and I'm married to a writer... starting a publishing company!

Reaction score
Although I'm not a writer per se -- I hope to learn a lot from this forum! I do love to read and my husband is a writer. I just might have a few ideas mulling around in my head and who knows... maybe I'll be brave enough to put pen to paper one day, but mostly I see myself as the logical, practical, non-creative one!

I'm a computer nerd by trade and Hubby's day job is as a Secondary school principal. We are both lucky enough to work at the same school and love it! When he isn't busy "principal-ing" he writes YA/Teen Fiction.

We are starting our own publishing company so I can handle the business end of his stuff. It's VERY overwhelming but I think it will be worth it! He has some published works by a small independent publisher and we are dropping that publisher (on good terms) and re-publishing under our own "house" so I will wait until all that is in place before I talk about his work! I honestly think I can do as good or better than his current guy. And maybe it's the control freak in me - but I want to see more detailed sales reporting and be in control of when we run promotions etc. We'll see how it goes I guess!!

Anyway -- for not being a writer - I can be pretty wordy I guess! :D I am looking forward to getting to know you guys!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

DangerOLeary

Type A Personality
Registered
Reaction score
Website
daneoleary.com
What an excellent idea, a husband-wife writer-publisher duo. You guys could be unstoppable. Good luck with everything.

I'm Dane, also new. Look forward to getting to know you and hearing about your progress.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I'm hoping that I can learn and focus on the business end - and let him focus on writing and creating content!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
congrats 'n much good luck w. your publishing co. Sounds very interesting. It's great here!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Hi Gretchen, my wife and I were in the publishing field for 22 years, and loved it. Good for you and your husband. After a stroke, I had to get out of it, so we ceased ten years ago. We published a lot of new writers and artists, and miss it now. We still publish some of my books, but most are with publishers. Hey, visit my Blog sometimes.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome.:welcome:

Wishing you every luck in your new venture.

wotcherH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! That's so awesome. I can only imagine all of the work that goes into publishing novels, and the fact that you two are starting a new company is pretty darn cool. I hope things go smoothly for you guys! And welcome! :)

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm new, too!
That sounds amazing, starting a publishing company. Do you know yet what you will specialize in publishing (if anything)?

:)