Happily stuck in the 1920s, for now

RoadTripDog

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreadssucks.com
Good morning fellow newbies, old hands and joyriders from outer space-

Just looking around this morning, measuring for carpet and drapes and figuring out what pictures to put on the walls.

After years and years of writing boring business books, business proposals, consultant reports, training manuals and software designs, I got this strange idea that I could write a novel that might sell more than 500 copies. So I started talking about it. I must have talked about it for too long because one day The Love of My Life told me "Stop talking about writing the damn book and start writing it!" I managed to realize that was good advice. Still, it took another 10 years of starting and stopping six potential books about all kinds of stuff before I finally had a vision. I've been writing this vision for almost a year and have begun to believe that it will actually be finished in my lifetime.

Since I don't know what I don't know I began to look around to see what others have gone through. Doesn't mean I'll learn anything from it, but at least when I fall into a pit I can say that I was warned.

Anyway, I managed to bring my first ever website to life and it tells more about the project: http://theroaringroad.com

So a tip of my old fedora to all of you, and if you'll bring the donuts I'll make some really great fresh coffee and maybe we can laugh over our trials and tribulations in writing.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're really from Wyoming, so was my dad. I'm from Montana, the setting for my mystery novels.

Even if you're not from the mountain west, :welcome:!

Your website's twenty-three skidoo. :D

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Yeah, I love to write about the Twenties, Thirties, and Forties - and maybe some Fifties. Great periods in our past. Very colorful people, places, and time. Visit my Blog sometime.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I like to write about the Thirties. Historical fiction is fascinating, and you've come to a great place to learn about writing in general, and HF in particular.

:welcome:

Dances With Words

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! That's my favorite time period as well. I decorate my house with old telephones, typewriters, electric fans, all the trappings of the earlier Industrial Age. I'm not really steampunk, I just like the old stuff. I actually started writing my novel on an old Underwood typewriter, but quickly gave that up in favor of my computer. :) Best of luck in your writing!

RoadTripDog

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreadssucks.com
Thank you to Allessandra Kelley, Chase, Tom Johnson, regdog, Chris P, CathleenT, EllaM, and Dances With Words! I appreciate the welcomes and the encouragement.

I will gladly take a look at everything each of you recommended in your responses. When I began writing I didn't realize I would be spending 1/3 to 1/2 my time reading for research, general learning about the writing process, getting published - well, you know all the things I'm talking about. Like when I wrote about Danny walking into Lorraine's house and she had a vacuum cleaner running and didn't hear him - then I realized I'd better find out if vacuum cleaners existed in 1924 and yes they did!

Anyway, hope to see all of you again out there - RTD