I come in peace

shrieke

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there, my name is Jonathan (hello Jonathan), and I'm addicted to writing.

This is my first time here, so I'll tell you all a bit about myself. I'm currently in college, but I started writing a long time ago. One of my teachers in middle school actually got me into writing, and it's all gone slowly downhill from there. I kind of wrote once in a while before then, but my teacher set the course for the next 10 years of my life. I really started writing hard after a kind of falling out with a close longtime friend. Writing was a release, something to take my mind off everything. Some nights, I'd write until 2:00 in the morning and wake up at 12:00 on the same day. I recently realized that I really need help, I just don't want to live like this anymore.

Jokes aside, honestly, the main reason I'm here is to see if anyone would be willing to beta read the story I'm working on. I've been writing in a vacuum, and now that I've finished the first draft of my story, I would like feedback from people who know what they're talking about (I love quantified criticism). I've gotten some great friends to read my story and provide some great feedback, but they're all rather busy. I'm by no means a poor writer, but I'm certainly not great, and I would like to improve. I really love writing, and look forward to getting to know you whose love I share. I'm off to the beta readers thread!

shrieke

Registered
Reaction score
Hellooo! I have recently finished my first short story, which I can only call fiction/suspense/crime? I'm really not great at the genre-figuring out. If you'd like to take a peek though, by all means, I would be glad to share it!

tiffanywynne23

All Things Freelance Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fiverr.com
Hello Jonathan! I would love to read your beta! Feel free to send it my way if you would like.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

shrieke

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, do you. DO YOU REALLY!?

Okay you got me, I'm here to secretly cause trouble and subvert the smooth operation of this otherwise great website. Cripes, I didn't think anyone would figure it out....

Hello Jonathan! I would love to read your beta! Feel free to send it my way if you would like.

Awesome, thanks! I'll PM you a link and a few more details right away :)

hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Thanks for the info, I've read all of the newbie resources and taken under advisement all guidelines etc... there wasn't a post limit to request a beta reader in the beta readers forum, was there? I didn't see one, so I went ahead and posted a request there. Thanks!

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Jonathan,

Welcome to AW! Good luck with your effort. I'm not a good choice as a beta, I'm too technically oriented. I find it hard to enjoy most published works! 'Myth Busters' drives me nuts!

shrieke

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome! It's quite alright, as much as I love reading, there are certainly genres I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I'm curious, though, what you enjoy reading.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, though, what you enjoy reading.

My tastes are rather varied. I used to enjoy Tom Clancy until I read ‘Executive Orders’. I haven’t read him since. I have read all of Stephen Hawking’s books and he introduced me to Leonard Mlodinow, who I enjoy thoroughly. I currently am reading the ‘Leather Stocking’ series of books by Cooper. The old style of writing is tough to read but he describes life and settings so carefully, it’s interesting to get such a flavor of how things were in the early 1800, both in attitude as well as scene, before people changed it all.

wotcherH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jonathan! Welcome. If you came looking for beta readers then you came to the right place. I hope you find lots of beta readers for your book, and good luck! :)