Good luck, sissy! :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

And have fun, swachski! Ride a wooden coaster for me - they're my fave. :D

Glad it's the freaking weekend, Ruth! :yessmiley

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're off camping this weekend with my BIL and 3 nephews. Lucky for them i am too nice to send anyone off on a snipe hunt at night...

We'll be in SLO this weekend so i hope to find a nice lunchbox :D I do like the Doctor Who TARDIS lunchbox, but it's not on sale yet :( or perhaps i can find a tshirt that says SLO Runner because O the hilarity!

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
I finally got things together and sent off another PB ms. and two chapters of a YA novel to the agent who asked for them. I'm so nervous and worried she won't like them.

So please, if you have a minute, wish me luck, or say a prayer, or cross your (insert various body parts), or whatever you do to help me win her over.

I'm soooo nervous my weekend is going to be wrecked!

Anyway, thanks so much to all of you. And don't forget to get those contest entries in! You can't win if you don't play.

Good luck Sissy!!! I'm crossing various things for you. :) :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
*typ[nn4g funn8y caus88e my fingger0s r crosse867d for siisy*

Well, I survived the first week, and only lost two kids. One I put on the wrong bus and one I lost on the way to the bus lines. Oh, well. Not too bad, considering I have 27 kids total.

My poor 12-year-old didn't have so good of a first day. The bus never showed up, and no one else was there waiting with him, and then when he did finally get to school (Nana gave him a ride) he found out he only has 1 friend in one class... After 7 years of going to school with Mom, it was the most alone he's ever been in his life. By Day Two, he was so stressed he thought he was going to barf. But Nana came to the rescue (again) and fed him ginger ale and got him to school. He tracked down his friends at lunch time, and everything started to feel more manageable. Then our dogs found new friends at the dog park and ran in circles all over the grass, so now everything is fine.

*whew*

Plus our Home and School Club threw a TGIF for the teachers today. A little wine, some cheese and crackers and spinach dip and brownies and snickerdoodles...

We're all going to be fine.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awwww. Poor little guy. Middle school is rough.

And thank goodness for Nanas.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, MsJudy, I feel for your son. It's so hard being a kid.

but you made me laugh out loud with the comment about only losing two kids. It brought back days of military life in Germany.

Our oldest was four, and in a handicapped preschool. She was non-verbal at that time - almost didn't speak, period.

One day my sitter showed up at my work and said my daughter did not get off the school bus. I frantically went to the school, where I was told they put her on the bus. Then I went to the sitter's, and she wasn't there. I panicked! Went back to the school, and they directed me to the military office in charge of the contract with the German bus company that transported the kids. They told me they'd figure it out, and that I should call my husband. I shouted at them that THEY would call my husband and tell him they'd lost his child. The bus driver, German, said he took her to a certain apartment (gave the address) and said she TOLD him to let her off there. Yeah, right! They took me there, and I kept saying, "I don't know anyone on this street. She'd never want to come here."

Then we passed a dumpster, and the jerk actually glanced inside of it. I almost hit him! But the lady at the door said she hadn't seen any kids. So we headed back toward his office. On the way, we drove down our street, and I saw my upstairs neighbor at her window. For some reason I told him to stop, and I yelled up at her, asking if she'd seen our daughter. She said, "Yeah, she's in here taking a nap."

The driver had stopped the bus, dumped her on the sidewalk, and driven off.

When they gave the contract to the same bus company the next year, we withdrew our daughter from the program. It was the worst day of my life at that time, but now we can sort of laugh about it.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Last day to enter the back-to-school-kid-lit contest... anybody going to submit something?

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Judy - glad your little guy is okay. Nothing stabs me as sharply as seeing one of my kids in pain. I went through something similar last year, when my youngest started at a new school and didn't know anybody. So hard.

Sissy, how terrifying. Every mother's nightmare, right there. Thank goodness she was safe (no thanks to that driver!)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, that's awful! That's one bus driver who ought to be smacked upside the head several times. Our drivers don't let pre-K or K kids off the bus unless someone is there to meet them. So nobody gets too lost...

We did have one first grader miss the bus a few years ago. He decided he should walk to school... Headed the wrong way down a long road... Fortunately a local sheriff passed by, and the kid was able to tell him what school he attended, so he made it there eventually.

Another year, a mom who'd recently arrived from rural Mexico heard from the neighbors that school was starting. So she put her 4-year-old on the bus. Never came in to register him... and the kid had a speech delay, couldn't say his own name (called himself "Lula" cause "Raul" was too hard) and didn't know his parents as anything but Mami and Papi. So I got to walk him from classroom to classroom until we found some big kids who recognized him. Then the principal got to drive him home and track down mom...

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, remember the deadline. No entries will be accepted after the deadilne.

Also, remember that everyone who entered MUST vote. You can't win if you don't vote.

And I hope those of you decided not to enter will still read and vote. I've read all the entries, and several of them are really, really good.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

You guys still have time to write an entry for the contest! To prove it, I spent a few hours this morning writing one. I posted it in the contest thread as an example.

So, get to work! Now!

:D

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Sissy...I got a little freaked out just reading about your daughter! It's such a terrifying place to be, not knowing where your child is. I would have withdrawn my child as well!!

Judy, I'm so sorry your son had a cruddy first day, and am happy to hear that things are picking up. But hurray for nanas! My son is 13 and having his own experiences with buses. Since I work until 7pm twice a week, for the first time he's taking the city bus from school to his grammie's workplace those days. His second time, the driver was a newbie and suddenly began driving on the wrong route. My mom got on the phone with the bus company and reamed them a new one!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I just found this and I had to post it here :D

mini-graphics-aliens-and-space-809692.gif

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, parump! One of my kinders is a little munchkin named Bee who wears her hair in two twisted ponytail knobs on the top of her head. I swear, she just stepped out of your chorus line!

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! Where do you get all these cute smileys? Do you have to pay for them, or download them, or what? The only ones I can figure out are the regulars: :) :D ;) . BTW, good luck on your submissions, sissybaby!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of them are AW smileys. I only use those. :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

(They're in the tool bar when you hit "Post Reply". They aren't in the tool bar if you just do a "Post Quick Reply". Eventually, you'll memorize the codes. :TheWave:)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I get them 2 places and both are free,
smiley-bounce020.gif

http://www.freesmileys.org/

http://www.picgifs.com/mini-graphics/

:D

I just upload them to photobucket and then when you go to post them on AW, make sure to click the little icon up above that has the mountain and square on it.

Paste the address of the smilies from your photobucket acount and press 'okay', then submit the reply ;)

Took me a while to figure it all out. :)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I'm glad.

It took me forever to figure all this stuff out. :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hallooo! We had a fun weekend. It was like "Joey Pigza Goes Camping". If you know what I mean. Between three adults and two teenagers, we just barely managed to keep tabs on eight-year-old nephew. He had a really lovely time though--for his first time swimming in the ocean, we took him boogie boarding. He kept asking me what was floating way out in the water, was it a dog? And it is a testament to his being generally on a different wavelength from everyone else, and my growing need to wear glasses, that I told him it was nothing. But actually it was...a pack of five seals! Swimming right next to us in the ocean at Avila Beach! It was very cool.

He also got to see the Milky Way for the first time ever (oh, city kids). And he caught his first fish. And then he was so excited that he fell into the lake. Slipped right off the log, dropped his fishing pole, and got drenched from head to toe in green mucky water. Dressed in the only jeans, sweatshirt, and sneakers he had brought with him.

We felt bad were horribly amused felt a little bad but were mostly amused. Once we put him in dry clothes and gave him s'mores he was in a better mood.