Status
Not open for further replies.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, looks great!

Maryn, yay for transportable kids!

Um, I thought the male gift gene was the one that made them say: "So what did you get my parents this year? What are you getting my brothers? Did you buy anything for my sister yet?" And so on. The male gene = leave shopping to the women. No one would get gifts around here if I didn't do it.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, you look terrific.

Maryn, so glad the car problem has been sorted out. Home made soup and a grilled cheese sandwich is my idea of a lovely dinner. And hooray on the anthology!

Glad you're having a lovely time, Blond.

Amarie, I think I may have to try those cookies. Can I use lemon juice (from a lemon) rather than extract/oil?

Picked up our meat for Christmas dinner from the butchers. I am attempting to make Beef Wellington. Also scored a bargain on a leg of pork from the village shop. Enough meat to keep us going for days.
It has rained all day, non stop. Wish it was snow! Young FD is getting over a cold so his Christmas break started a bit earlier than anticipated.
Tomorrow I make truffles and get chocolate all over myself and the kitchen.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:e2grouphu Thanks for all the hair compliments, everyone.

Maryn, glad your progeny is mobile again.

Blond, that sounds like a fun day to us Northeasterners. :D

Mr. Lily has the "What did you get for my side of the family" gene as well. :tongue

My house is clean, laundry is laundrying, I don't have to start supper for awhile, and I just mailed one final package. Time for some horror!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Fire, you'd probably have to add in some grated lemon peel as well to get a strong enough taste, but you could try adding the lemon after you cream the butter and the sugar to see if you've got the taste where you want it.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Lily, looking fabulous!

Maryn, yay for car problems getting worked out!

Ink, I have my own little male shopping gene gripe.

Firedrake, I make a killer beef Wellington. If you have any questions, ping me. :) I went crazy at the butcher last week, but I don't have to buy meat until after the New Year now.

We are in full Christmas mode in Casa de la Bromley. FIL flew in Florida today. He hates the cold, so he comes just long enough to get some Christmas cheer before disappearing to the "tropics" once again. MIL hangs around longer because she is just plain awesome. Really, the only super petty gripes I have are my husband leaving all his Christmas shopping to sometime between December 22nd & December 24th and my carpal tunnel flaring up so that I was late mailing my Christmas cards. But mostly, I'm in chill mode, which means revising a little and then taking a hot bubble bath with a glass of wine close at hand.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Tummy wasn't happy this morning, so it was after 3 before I tried food. Don't think we're doing our plans today.

D.'s an anomaly with gift-giving - he actually took the initiative of getting his family on the same page with all the lists so no one gets duplicates, and asks them to start saying what they want in November. He loves giving presents.

What I don't like him to do is improvise for me....he tends to get me things I can't use in this house or don't have room for. He's never so far off that I'd turn them down under different circumstances, but yeah. Just stick to what I ask for.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Amarie, I think I may have to try those cookies. Can I use lemon juice (from a lemon) rather than extract/oil?

Fire, do you have any sugar cubes? If you rub the rind with a sugar cube, (a la Crepes Suzette) you should be able to get enough lemon oil for what the recipe calls for :)

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, I am so sorry I forgot the appropriate yaying and flinging of confetti at the news of your progeny getting into RIT!! That is awesome! :e2cheer: (I couldn't find the confetti flinging smilie but you get the sentiment) And love the photo of your new hair. You look sort of impish.

Amarie, that recipe sounds really yummy, but I have a thing about crisp cookies (I like them). Is it crisp or soft?

MrsB, sounds like things are coming together in your household.

Maryn, not so sure about you yet...too many balls in the air. :D

For anyone who hasn't connected with Rick on Linked!n you should go check out his killer skills and expertise. I want those on my resume. :)

And for anyone who hasn't read GJB's book South of Burnt Rocks, West of the Moon, run don't walk to the nearest book outlet. It is unputdownable.

Bluestone

Registered
Reaction score
Um, I thought the male gift gene was the one that made them say: "So what did you get my parents this year? What are you getting my brothers? Did you buy anything for my sister yet?" And so on. The male gene = leave shopping to the women. No one would get gifts around here if I didn't do it.
Absolutely the same in my house too, only he wouldn't dream of asking about it; he just assumes I'll do it. He's as surprised as they are when they open their gifts.

I also buy Mother's Day cards from him to his mother, and birthday cards from the boys to him. If I didn't, no one would get anything here either.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
We surrrrrrvived!!! Twenty+ adults and 10 children in our little house was, ah, quite the production! We did cookie painting and had pin-the-tail-on-the-pony planned, but never quite made it to that game because the kids got into a giant "balloon fight." The food I ordered was tons more than I had anticipated, so we all ate and caked and everyone had a wonderful time. No major meltdowns, nobody hurt. Most importantly, Sharkbite the people-person was in heaven. I took a video of him spinning in ecstatic circles whilst eating his chocolate cupcake.

All this after I hadn't even planned to throw him a party. :)

...And now I am thinking off ricotta cheese cookies...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Jo, glad the party went well.

I just finished watching a movie that was supposed to be horror but turned out to be horrifically depressing. I'm going to watch an MST3K to detox.

Also finished the scarf I had originally planned to knit for CB's GF. I'm pleased enough to want to make it again. Clever pattern that;s easy and looks good when finished.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Jo, parties are always tricky at that age because it's such an embarrassment if your kid has a meltdown.

Blue, the cookies are soft. Sorry!

I think we are in good shape for our open house tomorrow night. We'll be busy tomorrow getting ready but not crazy busy. I love the fact that older kiddo finally dusted his room. I stopped cleaning his room a long time ago, and about every six months he notices how dusty it is, cleans it and swears he's never going to let it get bad again. then another six months goes by.....:rolleyes: I'm determined when he's finally out on his own, he'll at least be capable of dealing with his living environment, even if he chooses not to!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in here before I totally disappear for the week to wish everyone a very happy holiday season.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, so we can come home to a neat, nice-smelling house.

Looks like we'll be flying into Texas just in time to drive into a blizzard. :rolleyes:

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Evening everyone!

Not caught up, but your hair looks great Lily!

[at this point I got interrupted by visitors so I'm even more behind now]

If I didn't do it before, THANK YOU!!! Everyone who voted for W!d3 Op3n in the cover battle. Made it to the semifinals (which start tomorrow, I think). I don't expect to get farther, but it's been fun and I appreciate all the votes. :)

Bluestone

Registered
Reaction score
Happy holidays, mayqueen!

Jo, that was one ambitious party, and having just survived my own extravapalooza I can empathize. Although with kids involved, I think you might have won on the stress quotient.

Yay on cover love, Billie.

Nite all.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
If I didn't do it before, THANK YOU!!! Everyone who voted for W!d3 Op3n in the cover battle. Made it to the semifinals (which start tomorrow, I think). I don't expect to get farther, but it's been fun and I appreciate all the votes. :)

Oooh, did you win against that one cover you were up against? I forget the book title, but the one with the girl's face. Anyway, that was a toughie. But your cover is soooo gorgeous. :)

Jo, that was one ambitious party, and having just survived my own extravapalooza I can empathize. Although with kids involved, I think you might have won on the stress quotient.

You know, it actually wasn't bad at all! Now that I've hosted big mom-and-kid get-togethers a few times, I've learned how to minimize the damage and the hassle. :) This was actually pretty light on the cleanup, especially since my mom came and helped. I also packed away all the really messy toys ahead of time, and left stuff out like a big cardboard box, a bunch of balloons, etc. Those were a big hit. Then I just ordered a big "catered" lunch from a local fast-food Mexican place and let everyone get their own.

I'm totally an introvert, but my son is an extrovert - and doing things to please him has really been teaching me that I am really a lover of people. And if I can do things right, I really do enjoy these things. Never thought I'd say that. :)

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor old sleepy thread.

*pulls thread's covers up over its neck so the vampires can't get it*

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Morning purgies.:)

I have left absolutely all Christmas prep until the last possible second, surprise surprise, LOL, so I will be scarce. If I don't get back around here, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!:D

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Lily- like the other have said, your hair looks fab.

The agenda today: more nutroll and peanut butter fudge.

So, since I have a little time, I am going to dive into the WIP. LG has promised to pull out the spatula to get me going. I'm fiddle-farting around too much with this one. I need to be proactive and at least get through the first four sections.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my phone, so this is brief, but I'm mightily impresses with the entertainment and holiday prep in here! Good luck, Jenn! Have fun, Amarie!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
sammy, I thought only my family said "fiddle-farting" ! :) I always thought it was the perfect expression.

The men are attending a mandatory soccer meeting and then refereeing soccer all afternoon. I am in horror movie heaven! I might throw in Alastair Sim's A Christmas Carol to keep in the seasonal mood. Got two loads of laundry to do. Already cleaned the bathrooms and blocked the last scarf. Just have to wrap it when it dries.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our kids were shy since toddlerhood (I remain convinced there's a genetic element, since I took great pains to socialize them several times a week.) The few birthday parties we ever threw were odd and at times uncomfortable. I don't know if it was the time or the place, but parents did not stay, so it was me and a whole lot of little kids, some of whom were intent on chasing the cat or investigating the cactus.

Anybody who can pull off a children's party is a hero, in my book. So glad it went well.

The industry of Purgatory must have rubbed off on me. I got up earlier than I wanted to--one of those mornings when your eyes fly open and you know right away that's it for sleep. We used up the bread last night, and rather than attempting to back my car out around Kid Two's or begging Mr. Maryn to go buy a loaf before lunchtime, I've got home-made bread rising and have cleaned the kitchen, including hand-wash items. (Who, me?)

I still have much wrapping to do, but I'm feeling more in control than I have been. Whew!

Maryn, who needs to get cleaned up at some point

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Lily- one saying we have in our family that I've never heard anyone else say is: "Slower than Ikey Forcus." My grandfather always said it, but I've never heard anyone else use it. All we could figure is that he knew some kid in school named Ikey Forcus who was extremely slow.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
When something is in danger of falling off a table, my mother's family says: "That [glass] has a headache." I've never heard that anywhere else.

Does anyone else's family use the expression, "Slower than molasses in January"?

Status
Not open for further replies.