The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be gone the first through the eighth... No one can watch my dogs so I had to break down and ask my family... So I will be driving to oklahoma now to get my dogs watched still cheaper then boarding... Now trying to locate a ride. Not looking good thus far. Will probably end up taking the bus or cab to the airport.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Hey Purgies, does anyone have a tip for regaining writing focus for me?

It's kind of pathetic, but I have to admit I'm really shit at this lately. It's like, there's this story I want to write and it would be lots of fun, but my stupid tiny brain keeps getting bogged down by all this other stuff that I need to get done. Portfolios that need to be finished. Lesson planning that needs to be started. And I need to write a resume and...yeah, stuff.

Yes, this is me trying to take it easy for a day. Instead I'm here completely blocked because of stupid stuff that stresses me. Which in turn makes writing, or rather, the non-writing a thing that really stresses me.

Anyway, I know many of you juggle ALL THE THINGS constantly and you're brilliant, so if you have any tips or suggestions on how to better compartmentalize, let me know?

Thanks, dears. :heart:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Itemized to-do lists can help. Then, at least, you don't have to feel like you need to be thinking about All The Things at the same time so you don't forget them.

When super busy, I find it best to allot myself short periods in which to write. I work best in 45 minute increments, so I'll designate 1-2 increments a day in which to write. I'll close the door, silence my phone and use the Freedom app so that I'm not tempted to putter around online when I ought to be producing. Sometimes those concentrated writing blocks are more productive than hours of casual writing.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Dys, this is how I work it on a day off:
--I make breakfast and goof around on the Net or with the TV.
--Then I do a chore that makes me feel all virtuous (laundry, clean the kitchen, vacuum).
--Then I gather what hardcopy I have: Scribbled notes, outlies, anything.
--Then I set a time limit for more goofing off on the Net: usu. 30 minutes. Because, you know, suddenly writing looks like work. :tongue
--Then I grit my teeth and open the WIP. First, I transcribe anything handwritten. Then I open my outline and continue it OR if I'm into the actual book, I open that and reread back a few pages to get myself back into the zone. Music is involved in this, whatever the WIP wants to be written to.
--I try to set a time for this too--write 15 or 30 minutes, then get up, refill the tea, put the wash in the dryer. Then go back and write 15-30 minutes. Then I'm allowed another 10 minutes to goof off.
--This usually works for me. It's like tricking my brain into writing (the fun part) and doing the chores (the not-fun but necessary part).

:heart:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Dys, I find the best way to write, in a short period of time, is to sprint with a friend. For some reason, a sprint really forces me to focus and doing it with someone else brings out the competitive spirit just a little. I did three 30 minute sprints today and ended up with 2k words.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon Purgies!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Ours went well - we spent the morning opening gifts, then went over to BIL's for the family get-together / dinner.

Miserable weather today - it's been sleeting all day. I had to run out to activate the Kiddo's phones and transfer contacts. We finally bit the bullet. We've been T-Mobile customers and I've been waiting patiently for them to get the iPhone. Well, they still don't have it (mind is boggled), and I needed to buy a cell phone since I'll be turning in my Gov"t Blackberry soon. I'm an Apple fanatic (I grew up on the Dark Side before I saw the light), and T-Mobile has run out of grace period so we switched over to AT&T. Kiddo #2 is thrilled, because the only carrier with decent coverage in college town is AT&T, and she's been complaining about no signal and dropped calls. Oh - this is probably too late, but if you're interested in getting iPhones for the young kiddos but don't want to shell out big bucks, you can get the iPhone 4 from AT&T (maybe other carriers too) for $1 and free from the Apple Store.

Dys - I can't help you since I have trouble focusing too. (Right now I'm in the middle of a 2-month goof-off period.)

Who lives in the DC/Baltimore area & would be interested in meeting up? I miss having writer friends nearby.
There's 7 of us here, including you. I've got everyone's email address except Mike's. I'll try to track him down and I'll send an email out to everyone here.

For all the traveling Purgies - I hope you aren't inconvenienced by the storms.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
It was a good evening, except for my step-grandmother talking about parting out her stuff before she dies like her death is imminently soon. She's already talking about taking the diamonds out of her wedding set and making a pendant for her grandchild (not me). I get trying to be practical and leave minimal burden for your descendants, but geeze Louise....ya keep focusing on death, you're gonna put yourself there. She's still going. No immediate threats of fatal illness or the like. She's just old. There are still things to live for, like seeing my sister get married or my cousins graduate high school. Everyone still wants her around.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Thanks for the tips, Hilary, Lily, Fire (and Rick, too, because! ;)). I like a mix of competitiveness (well, writing with friends, really) and to-do lists/setting myself time limits. I shall have to try this, because it seems like in the last couple of months or so I've been constantly busy, busy, busy with all the things that absolutely had to be done and it's been really hard to stop stressing about well, everything. So now that I'm trying to eke out some writing time, the "but all these other things also need to get done" and "anyway, you really kind of suck at this whole writing gig, so why not work on something more...useful" has come to really bite me in my hyperdrive ass.

So okay. Time limits. Lists. Let's do this.

Thanks, my loves. You all are brilliant as always (and I just spent the last hour reading with a sleeping kitty on me, which ended up being rather therapeutic). Now to make food and take another stab at the writings. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best-laid plans, huh?

At noon we took The Girlfriend to the airport so she could fly on to Chicago for a party celebrating her parents' anniversary. It's now almost eight hours later and we've got her back. Her flight was delayed, delayed, delayed some more, until they finally rescheduled for early tomorrow morning. I have my doubts.

The Kid, who has a flight scheduled for tomorrow which goes through LaGuardia on her way to her destination, is now weighing the costs of canceling the trip altogether. It's highly likely one or both legs of the trip will be canceled. She had no interviews lined up, and it's quite possible search committees won't be able to reach the convention, either.

The bad aspect is that we'll have to make the judgment call between one and four in the morning.

Maryn, yawning in advance

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My husband wrangled some grandma-time today so we could see the Hobbit - I was prepared to be bored, but was quite surprised instead. Really, really loved it and at the end of three hours still wanted more. It was magical.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I should've brought fat pants.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
So, I have YA edits that MUST BE DONE. What am I doing?

1. Starting a new knitting project.
2. Revamping the beginning of an unfinished horror novel to sub as a standalone novella.

:crazy:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've shoveled twice already. I'd say we've got maybe seven or eight inches. It's still coming down.

Luckily, I kind of like shoveling--sick, I know! Just don't expect me to enjoy mowing in summer.

Maryn, strong like bull

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
I really wish it would snow here -- I'd like everyone just to stay home and inside. But I don't think we'll get much.

For those purgies with kids, has anyone used an app to restrict web access? I'm curious as to how it worked for you. I'm big on communication and education as a first defense, but some things, once viewed, cannot be brain-bleached from a developing mind...

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Spent the day at my folks' house, came home just now to find these on my doorstep.

cGJFY.jpg

Merry Christmas to meeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Merry Christmas to Dawn with her new agent, to Dys with her new glasses, to Lily with her new hat, and to all the other Purgs with your lovely everything. :Hug2:

Stealing due to blergy-ness. I have hardly been sick since I stopped working in Corporate Land. The exceptions: one nasty respiratory infection from a China trip in '09, annnddd...this stoopid one from THIS year's China trip, which I keep thinking is gone and then I do something like go to a party, stay up too late and drive several hours the next day (yesterday) and as a consequence spend something like 15 hours in bed. I feel okay right now but yeah, no marathons in the next few days for me.

Hope everyone's travels are as smooth as possible over the next few days! And that Clovia gets a breakfast burrito...

I hardly had a thing to eat today. Except pie. Because it was there.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I totally got a breakfast burrito :D At about noon.

Hope you feel better soon, OL.

Hugs and Yay where needed, since I know I'm missing a lot on this phone.

Only one more day of sink baths, then I can take a long, hot, scrub-my-own-skin-off shower at hoooommme!

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
After two kinda scary attempts to land at JFK (one if which involved veering off at the last possible second) we are now on the ground... In Philly. Apparently we are refueling before we make another attempt to land at JFK. Joy.

At least we're safe and together. JL and I are treating this like an adventure!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, Maryn. With all that snow to shovel, I don't know whether to hug ya or Yay! you.

(((Lisa))) Get some rest.

Lily - get crackin!

Phoenix - we used some sort of Granny-web browser blocker 10 or so years ago with Kiddo #2 (it seemed to work), but with Kiddo #3 we just use the Parental Controls panel in System Preferences (Apple computer). You'll have to do the same with any iPads or smartphones you have, since they can get everywhere with those too.

I got a hold of Mike and he's up for a D.C. Purgy get-together. We'll probably have to wait for everyone to return from holiday travels (which may take a while based on the weather), and for Clovia to take a shower.

ETA: Blond - glad you and JL are safe. I hope you have a less exciting trip to JFK.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
For those purgies with kids, has anyone used an app to restrict web access? I'm curious as to how it worked for you. I'm big on communication and education as a first defense, but some things, once viewed, cannot be brain-bleached from a developing mind...

You mean for phone or computer? My guy kept getting into youtube and random internet sites on my phone, so I downloaded an app that requires me to input a couple of numbers before you can access the web. It's worked well. I imagine your kid is older and smarter... Our basic plan is to not allow private computer access (ie, all of our household computers are in the same room, with screens visible). I would love to hear other people's recommendations as well, though!

Only one more day of sink baths, then I can take a long, hot, scrub-my-own-skin-off shower at hoooommme!

Good God. Where ARE you, Antartica? I don't go anywhere without showers. :)

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good God. Where ARE you, Antartica? I don't go anywhere without showers. :)

Ha! No. There are still small towns in the US where it isn't safe to drink the water
even if you boil it, and for four days, I can handle spits baths over vaguely yellow water and the occasional drain backing up over my feet.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
That's good blond. I would treat it like an adventure :) I hope your safely asleep in a NY hotel.

Good morning all!i see y'all had a good Christmas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.