• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I did the same thing as Electra. She was happy to take it as long as I gave her "ample time" to respond. I have since recieved my rejection.:)
Good Luck!

Maprilynne

Brenda Hill

Diva in Training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendahill.com
Don't feel so alone, Maprilynne. I did as Orion suggested, found the agent in the Naggar agency who accepted work in my genre, wrote an email query and this morning received a rejection.

At least she was quick. Sorta reminds me of 'The Quick and the Dead.'

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Molly Glick

Hi!
I'm in a quandry, as a friend of mine told me. I've been asked by Molly Glick (Jean Naggar Agency) to send a partial (3 Chapters). She ended the e-mail with something like 'she requires an exclusive' during her term of consideration. She was, however, very encouraging, saying she'd get it quick back to me if she wanted to read a full. Problem: I have already sent partials to two additional agents who I've researched and believe to be top notch. Molly, I believe to be top notch too. HELP! Please advise re: Ms. Glick, my situation, etc.etc.etc.! I don't want to screw up here. Any experience re: Ms.Glick would be greatly appreciated.
Appy

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know sweetie, I hear she is good though...Me?

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
First: congrats! Second: I'd write back something like:

Dear Ms. Glick,

As much as I'd love to grant you an exclusive, I'm afraid I've already sent partials to two other agents. May I still send you the chapters, or would you prefer if I wait until the others have responded?

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Jenna's advice is right on . . . I had the same request from Mollie and informed her that I coudn't grant an exclusive because I had partials/fulls out but would be glad to keep her apprised of any developments should there be a status change with the MS. She responded that this would be fine and instructed me to snail mail the partial.

Don't worry about the exclusive--trust me, she won't tie you up long if she doesn't like it. I got my email form rejection less than a day after the MS arrived in NY. Hope you have better luck!

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Guys!
Thanks loads for your advice. I'll follow it first thing in the morning. Now I'm sweating, having heart palpatations, and my foot itches. Keep your fingers crossed for me. And if any of you pray; put me on your list!
Appy

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
The great thing about Ms. Glick seems to be her speed. She responded via email (with a rejection, alas) a mere three days after receiving my snail partial. With some agents, I've waited 12 weeks!

Good luck to you!

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I hope I get an equally quick answer. Even a "No" is better than an extended wait and the sweats. I haven't check sales, yet; I just know she has them, and that the agency is reccommended on P&E. And thanks for the good wishes, kimmi.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Kimmi,

kimmi 57 said:
Hi Jenna, when you have requests out do you wait til all are back before granting an exclusive?

Truth is that I try never to grant an exclusive. But if I do, then it's for a limited period of time (I would offer a month), and no, I wouldn't wait until everyone has answered-- because that could be never. Lots of agents never bother responding at all if they're not interested. I've found that it's best to play things by ear and deal with whatever comes up.

So let's say you do grant the exclusive, but you set that month time limit. If you get another request during that month from queries you had sent out earlier, all you have to do is wait it out for a few weeks before sending the manuscript. Depending on how close the timing is (if it's two weeks or less until the exclusive runs out, I wouldn't say anything at all, but if it's more than that), you can tell the other agent the situation. ("I just granted an exclusive read to another agent, but I very much appreciate your interest and will send it to you next if we decide not to work together," or something like that.)

Or say if two agents request your ms without exclusives...what do you do?

Then you're fine. Agents expect that you're sending to more than one person at a time. Most of the ones I've dealt with haven't asked for exclusives at all; those who've asked haven't turned me away if I said I was unable to grant the exclusive.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Most of the ones I've dealt with haven't asked for exclusives at all; those who've asked haven't turned me away if I said I was unable to grant the exclusive.

Ditto. I've only had three agents ever ask for exclusives, and in all three cases they understood when I told them others were already reading.

In this situation, however, it is not unusual for the agent asking for the exclusive to ask you 1) not to send to any additional agents until they have had time to respond, which makes it sort of a 'semi-exclusive', and/or 2) not to make any commitments for representation with those already reading before contacting the agent.

I have to say I've never been asked for an exclusive on a partial, though...that's pretty hardcore.

Good luck!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
UrsusMinor said:
Ditto. I've only had three agents ever ask for exclusives, and in all three cases they understood when I told them others were already reading.

I ran into the same problem when I queried an agent at ICM. She wanted an exclusive on my full. I shot her back an email politely explaining that I was unable to grant her an exclusive, and she emailed back and said she wanted to read it anyway, as long as the other agents weren't with the same agency. You won't find much adversity so long as you're honest and upfront.

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Guys!
Thank you so much for your advice. I snapped an e-mail to Mollie Glick last night and, almost verbatim, sent the e-mail that Jenna advised. Ms. Glick was kind enough to waive the exclusive as long as I agreed not to accept any other offer until we (she and I) had a chance to discuss my work. Thanks again for helping me avoid what could possibly have been a terrible mistake. HURRAH! Fingers crossed!
Appy

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh Big Thanks Jenna and aa!

Good luck to you Applachia!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck you Appalachian Writer. I've heard lots of really great things about Mollie Glick. I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

(hurry back and give us some good news :))

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Agents expect that you're sending to more than one person at a time. Most of the ones I've dealt with haven't asked for exclusives at all; those who've asked haven't turned me away if I said I was unable to grant the exclusive.

An agent requested an exclusive on my NF proposal. I didn't know what the etiquette was (I hadn't found AW yet!) so I wrote and told him it was already in the hands of several agents and asked if he wanted it.

I got a scathing reply that he wasn't going to waste his time on a writer who didn't know the rule (multiple queries -- OK, multiple proposals -- not OK). I've posted about this elsewhere and the general consensus was that these were only his rules, and not set in stone. It sure scared the heck out of this newbie!

PS: Sorry if this is OT about Jean Naggar!

Last edited:

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
Noddy--Sounds like that agent had issues that had nothing to do with you. With a temperment like that, I'll bet the editors are lining up to do lunch with him.

If an agent gets bent out of shape about an "infraction" like that, he must not be getting much mail--cuz most successful agents are up to their eyeballs in boneheaded newbie stuff. If they took the time to smack the knuckles of each offender, they'd have no time for actual agenting.
The good news is, he'd likely not have been so testy if he didn't think your book had merit and that he just lost out on a juicy find.

Keep a copy of the letter for when your book is sold. Send it to him along with the clip from Publisher's Weekly announcing the "significant deal" you landed. Wish him a nice day.

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, KCH. I thought my writing career was over before it had even started. There's hope for me yet!

And Uncle Jim -- I agree, while it would be tempting to gloat someday, I'd like to think that I have a bit more class. Answering snark with snark only puts me at his level.

Noddy

carmar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so I'll just take a chance.

I'm curious about Jessica Regel at the Naggar Agency. She requested a partial from me but wants exclusivity. Does anyone know how long she typically takes to respond once she has the requested material?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
carmar said:
I'm curious about Jessica Regel at the Naggar Agency. She requested a partial from me but wants exclusivity. Does anyone know how long she typically takes to respond once she has the requested material?
I don't think she has an official time frame, but she has indicated she tries to respond within a month.

carmar

Registered
Reaction score
rugcat said:
I don't think she has an official time frame, but she has indicated she tries to respond within a month.

Hey-thanks for the info! I guess I won't have to pace the floor and chew my nails nearly as long as I had feared!