What are you reading?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally gave up on The Deed of Paksenarrion, a trilogy by Elizabeth Moon. I got partway into the final book and realized that the MC was never going to make a decision for herself. I suppose there's something to be said for an MC who's a perfect soldier - strong, brave, innocent and unquestioning of her orders - but when she started turning saintly I decided I'd had enough. Sorry, Paks.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Absolution by Patrick Flanery

Just finished Absolution. Stayed up too late last night and spent most of this evening on it. Interesting structure and timelines. Three first person narrators and third person omni to fill in between them.

Next up: Aerogrammes by Tania James

woozy

I'm the nude girl; not the creature
Registered
Reaction score
The Green Knowe Series by L.M. Boston
The latest Sookie Stackhouse
And just started the first Book of Patricia C. Werde's Frontier Magic series.
And the short stories of H.P. Lovecraft

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson.

adm

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading "From those wonderful folks that brought you Pearl Harbor". Iti s an inside look at the advertising world of the 60s and 70s. I learned about it after reading, "Mad Women". It is interesting how times have changed (I think for the better) some of the language and labels used in this book wouldn't fly today.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I picked up my first fiction work in quite some time (I don't have much time to read so when I do it's usually non-fiction), Zone One by Colson Whitehead.

Looking forward to climbing in a chair and cracking it open.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
I'm about to open Making An Elephant by Graham Swift. I hope it's going to be all about Swift's choice to abandon literary fiction for smutty romance novellas...but what are the odds?

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
Tender is the Night, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I feel awful saying that I find it a long, hard slog.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I was desperate for a light beach read and bought (at a book sale) Sizzlin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize it's printed in large type. And I don't need reading glasses. Yet.

ETA: Todd--I loved Kahled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'll be rereading it again soon, since I read it right after it was published. For me it was one of those books that I won't even lend out for fear of not getting it back.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
Alive in Necropolis by Doug Dorst. Nearly finished with it and I very much like it so far, though I have no idea why he even bothered to include the ghost bits as it seems the story could stand just fine without all that, but like I said, I haven't finished it yet.

That being said, I'm afraid that it's not going to end up like I'm hoping. I keep wishing Mercer would see that in spite of her age, he and Fiona could be quite good together. Fiona is practical and professional and that's one thing he seems not to care for in Kelly, who is basically walking-talking sex and Little Miss Rulebreaker.

Can you tell I don't like her? Heh.

Anyway, Mercer just seems like the kind of guy who wants something a little steadier (in terms of personality) and I find it hard to believe that a possible lack of regular sex is the problem he might have with Fiona as he even admitted that he goes into periods of celibacy with no problem, so that makes it hard for me to believe that he's feeling neglected in the bedroom. Besides, I've heard women in their forties tend to want it quite often.

I keep hoping that Mercer will realize Fiona's a good match for him and that he'll stop being ashamed of her age and all that stuff. I understand his worry that maybe he's with her only because it's convenient, but Kelly? Geez. If he's going to ditch Fiona, he sure is picking an odd chick to replace her with. Other than his being sexually attracted to Kelly, their personalities don't seem to vibe, IMHO.

Anyone else read this book? What did you think?

ETA: I am really enjoying Toronto's storyline too, slim as it is. Poor thing. Mia really did a number on him.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It was so good, I didn't cook, didn't eat, didn't work, didn't even log into AW, for 18 hours. ;)

Dang, she can write. I loved the ending, though I'd heard it was not universally appreciated. It made me LOL.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Charles Frazier's Thirteen Moons (disappointing novel, almost put it away several times. Enjoyed his two other novels, though).

Picking up John Irving's latest - In One Person - tonight.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
30 minutes ago I finished reading The Firm by John Grisham. It was one of the best novels I have ever read. Easily in my top five.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Pet Sematary by Stephen King.

Found a big box of horror novels in the attic. This is the first I went to. Liking the story but not really feeling much horror.