Status
Not open for further replies.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
What Maryn and Para said. I still have a lot of really crappy self-image days, but for the most part it's getting better and I enjoy exercising after school to let off steam and refocus. It's been really helpful and while nowhere near skinny, I'm much fitter than skinny T. ;)

First day back at school today, one week before students come back. Alllll the inservice training and LOTS of new faces. It'll be an interesting and busy year. I'll have classes Wednesday nights and most Thursday nights throughout the year, plus having sold one of my prep period and wanting to take the PRAXIS (the second one that you need to take within your first three years of service). I may be a masochist. :tongue

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dys, your energy makes me tired. Seriously.

Yesterday my eye problem got bad enough that I had to get off the computer and not read--what, you mean there are other ways to occupy one's self?--and I made a cute little tote bag for the stakes which hold down our massive beach umbrella in a stiff breeze. Total cost three bucks, for two garden flags at the end of the season. I already had the coordinating cord for the drawstring, from a damaged gift bag.

See, saving junk and buying everything which takes your fancy and is a huge bargain is good!

Maryn, who has too much stuff

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
I started the day grumpy, cleaning, baking bread, and getting a book review written for my blog. But then I got a partial request from an awesome agent, so I got that ready and submitted it (had to be snail mail for this one) and picked up food for our dog. Fun stuff.

Then I had a follow up email from an agent. She is enjoying my book and wanted some more info, so I wrote that up. Then I treated myself to some of the yummy homemade bread and worked on my Project Life album.

Now, my youngest is home and happy. He caught up on the school work he was behind on my asking his teacher if he could skip recess to do it. Hello maturity. Where did that come from?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heather, that's a winner of a day, especially after a grouchy start.

Mr. Maryn and I are playing a game we have played many times before: Let's find a lamp as bright as the one which must be replaced because it shocks people who dare to turn it on. Apparently nobody makes halogen lamps any more, and it's a rare lamp which throws 300W of light or the CFL equivalent. Hell, most lamps aren't even rated in lumens, so you can't tell how much actual light they provide, which is kind of the whole point. We asked about it at the city's only lighting store and got blank looks from the employee. What are we, wacky for asking how much light a lamp provides?

Maryn, in a dark room

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Maryn, good luck on the lamp quest!

Heather, sound like GREAT news on the agent front! Fingers crossed!

And speaking of tired, I forgot how tired a long day of school makes you. So much to do, so little time.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Evenin' folk.

Spent the day trying to find out my test results from last week. Answer: my doc's office forgot they ever ordered any tests, had to request the report AGAIN and that could take a couple of days, at which point the doctor will still have to review it blah blah blah, etc. Etc.

You would think that sudden breathing difficulties in a patient with a history of cancer would garner a bit more urgency.

On the upside, in my own self-treatment efforts, I've found that icing my ribs is having a very good effect on my breathing. Been doing it for three days now, and each day has been better.

In writing news, hope MBG will be going out on sub soon. Picked a pen name if they want it, and I'mraring to go.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Evenin' folk.

Spent the day trying to find out my test results from last week. Answer: my doc's office forgot they ever ordered any tests, had to request the report AGAIN and that could take a couple of days, at which point the doctor will still have to review it blah blah blah, etc. Etc.

You would think that sudden breathing difficulties in a patient with a history of cancer would garner a bit more urgency.

On the upside, in my own self-treatment efforts, I've found that icing my ribs is having a very good effect on my breathing. Been doing it for three days now, and each day has been better.

In writing news, hope MBG will be going out on sub soon. Picked a pen name if they want it, and I'mraring to go.

I hope things go better for you, Tas. I just got out of the hospital (in and out three times) for major respiratory failure. You would think that they'd get it right the first time and nip this thing in the bud. I hope you get some fast and needed treatment. Get well--the sooner the better.

Tri

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So since it has been announced on Facebook, was the best man in a wedding and wanted to not steal their thunder at all, the engagement was announced. And I can say that Tas is my Best Maid. Hence why she's not allowed to die.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, I'm married, so technically I'm your Best Matron. (I like Best Maid better)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Good news: chest xray is perfectly clear which rules out cancer.
Bad news: I still feel pretty miserable, no one can tell me why of how to fix it, and they STILL don't have the lung function test results.

I'm so tired of this.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tas, I'm just throwing out ideas, but does the hospital where your cancer was treated have a patient advocate? As a past patient who beat a serious illness, they may be willing to get tough with your doctor, the place that ran the lung function tests, and whoever else is giving you a hard time when you can't freakin' breathe.

Maryn, wondering what it costs to hire goons

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Tas! :hooray:

and

{{{Tas}}}

This.

I also like Maryn's suggestion of hired goons. Hugs.

Not much going on here, other than INSANITY. Alll the professional development this week and most of it is totally redundant, tbh. The only cool thing is that I get to network a LOT with my English department which results in some good ideas to apply this next year, so not all is lost.

Still, my brain is FRIED. I'm trying to edit my Journalism disclosure and then meet up with best friend for some much needed nerdiness.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Another vote for hired goons. I have some relatives I haven't seen since they were guarding the presents at a cousin's wedding... (we all gave them a WIDE berth :eek:)

Plain ol' exhausted today. Got Chinese takeout. Wrote 1.5 pages while I waited. That's either obsessive or panicked. :tongue

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Maybe there's something in the water with all that exhaustion.

Met with best friend, who gave me all kinds of cute jewelry she made. I once again encouraged her to open up an Etsy shop.

Then I had a beer and watched TV and that actually gave me enough energy to finish my disclosures for all of my classes.

Oh, and I registered my own domain today for my teaching site. I feel so legit now. ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see pictures of the handmade jewelry, Dys, but not if it just adds to the insanity. Next month, or the one after, is soon enough.

Lily's mention of Chinese take-out reminds me that we don't do Chinese any more. Our favorite restaurant had a fire and closed, later reopening under new ownership that doesn't cook the same. The original owners have opened a place that does only take-out, but it's in an urban area where it's a bitch to park. (The one time I went, I ended up parking four blocks away and walking. Which, luckily, I can do, but the food was decidedly cool by the time I got it home.)

We occasionally try a Chinese place someone recommends, but none of them seems very good. So many use so much oil I get sick within an hour, too, even if I ask for them to use a minimal amount. (I'm not ordering anything deep-fried, just wokked.) I blame WeightWatchers, which is seriously stingy with fats.

I hardly wrote a thing yesterday, but I hope to do better today.

Maryn, good intentions

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I dreamed last night that I could fly, but I could only hover about three feet off the ground, and only go in circles backwards. If that's not a metaphor for my writing career, I don't know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.