The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Remember...

Coppertone ads with the little girl having her bottoms pulled down by the puppy?

HAMM'S BEER...from the land of sky blue waters.

Double Mint Gum...when the original twins were young.

When you shared a phone line with someone else and you heard three rings and the phone was for you, as well as hearing the breathing of those easedropping.

Soupy Sales

Romper Room with Miss June?

Bazooka bubble gum for one cent

I remember going to the meat packers in town to get meat from our locker

Yep, 17 cents a gallon and then the gas wars at 24 to 25 cents.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
mban1784l.jpg

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Whitey Herzog goes into one of my favorite taverns to drink with the bar manager - who is one of his old buddies.

haggis remembers when these guys played, I just see 'em at the tavern.

:)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you 50+ years old? Do you remember when gas was 20 cents a gallon? Do you remember when a penny postcard didn't cost 26 cents? Do you remember when there was actually a key representing the symbol for "cents" on the keyboard?

Maybe I do, maybe I don't.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
1950s-car-251x158.jpg

sorry it's black and white, but I think those were the only two colors the cars came in back then;)

I saw one of those the other day when my car was getting an oil change! I was surprised, because owners of these beauts don't normally take them to garages, they work on them themselves. I said as much to the guy behind the counter and he said, "The owner is working on that car. It's the boss's car."

And it was blue and white, not black and white.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
"It's the real great adventures of me, Tom Terrific! With Mighty Manfred, the Wonnnnder Dogggg...!"

"I want my Maypo..."

Mickey Mantle sez: "What are you doing still using that greasy kid stuff? Here, try some Brylcreem. A little dab'll do ya...."

Dad, let's go to the drive-in! It's one dollar a car night, and they're showing Butterfield 8 for you and mom, and The Invisible Boy for me!!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I remember proper currency - pounds, shillings and pence

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a little girl, my dad drove a car that looked like this:

chevywagon.jpg

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I remember as a GI in the 1950s when the dollar was God in Europe. Had a driver all night to 6AM New Years Eve in London for about $5 including generous tip.

A liter of wine in Spain, 10 cents. But a bottle of coke was 15 cents.
New Pensione on Majorca, $1.65/day with meals.

Earlier in the early 1940s, 10 cent Saturday matinees One hour of cartoons, Newsreels, previews and two films.

Started U.C. Berkeley in 1949. Tuition $37.50/semester, no charge for units, Student body card $12.50. Fraternity room and board except Sunday -- $75/month, and International House three years later was $62.50/month with meals and maid service. No SATS then either. B average earned entrance to Cal and UCLA, C average got you into the State colleges, and San Francisco City College cost $2 -- part of the city public school system.

Orchid corsage for my high school senior prom date $5.00 -- $10.00 for white orchids.

1948, my father paid $3,500 for a new Packard.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Here's how old I am...

We still used typewriters in journalism school when I was getting a Masters Degree!

I remember when a Xerox (the only brand of copier) was space-age cutting edge technology and you needed special paper to operate it.

I remember when power steering was cutting age technology.

I remember The FBI (In Color)! I remember when The Man from U.N.C.L.E. switched from black&white to color. I remember when there were only two TV channels, on of which you couldn't get if it were raining.

I remember when there was only Disneyland, no Disneyworld.

I remember the civil rights movement, Vietnam, and the tail end of the McCarthy era. I remember "White Only" bathrooms and "No Jews Allowed" motels.

I remember hiding under our desks, ducking and covering and knowing that the Commies were going to kill us all.

Not all of the 'good old days' was good.

Gawd, I'm old.

(Just so you'll know, my memories go back when I was 18 months old.)

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Also:

I got my BA for less than $7,000 and that was out-of-state tuition. Women weren't allowed at the Univ of Virginia or in many vet schools. That was perfectly legal and no one thought anything of it.

I got a MA for less than $5,000.

Higher Education should be FREE!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I remember as a GI in the 1950s when the dollar was God in Europe. Had a driver all night to 6AM New Years Eve in London for about $5 including generous tip.

A liter of wine in Spain, 10 cents. But a bottle of coke was 15 cents.
New Pensione on Majorca, $1.65/day with meals.

Earlier in the early 1940s, 10 cent Saturday matinees One hour of cartoons, Newsreels, previews and two films.

Started U.C. Berkeley in 1949. Tuition $37.50/semester, no charge for units, Student body card $12.50. Fraternity room and board except Sunday -- $75/month, and International House three years later was $62.50/month with meals and maid service. No SATS then either. B average earned entrance to Cal and UCLA, C average got you into the State colleges, and San Francisco City College cost $2 -- part of the city public school system.

Orchid corsage for my high school senior prom date $5.00 -- $10.00 for white orchids.

1948, my father paid $3,500 for a new Packard.

Oooo. I think donroc is the King of the Ol' Farts!:Hail:

I bow down to my elder brother. :Hail:

Can anyone beat Don?

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Are you 50+ years old? No Do you remember when gas was 20 cents a gallon? Yes Do you remember when a penny postcard didn't cost 26 cents? Yes Do you remember when there was actually a key representing the symbol for "cents" on the keyboard? Yes Then this is the thread for you.

If you're younger than 50, just what the hell do you think you're doing here? I fart too. You never call; you never write. You're out of the will. Get off my lawn. Go away. Why, when I was your age....

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.