Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You may scoff, but being a GM really helps your writing.

How the hell do you think I got so good at plotting? I have to deal with characters who can and will fuck up my plot...not because of some vague metaphysical reason, but because they are evil bastards named Scott and George and Lucy and Nike.

Nothing gets your plotter brain working better than having a party up and murder your bad guy 2 hours into the adventure, before they're even supposed to know he's a BAD GUY yet.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH! that would really piss me off! good luck with the plotting for the game!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm crappy at making plots. I tend to just write and see where things end up. And then if the plots awful, i'll change it at the end. Obviously the over all feel of the story stays the same, but it's fun to chop and change :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
you have no idea how lost i am right now! hehehehe

Ok so far i've written 4.1K today...

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
i managed 2500 words and i'm sorta stuck in a rut. Started to re-write, or at least, write it separately incase i wanted to add it, the introduction. My mind is wandering.

The funny part is that i looked at the character details, and list and stuff, and i noticed a character and was like "oh dear, i don't remember writing about her." Oops. so even my own story can get confusing. Too many characters me thinks.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This actually gives me an idea!

Begin with the heroes killing the evil dictator. Then the rest of the book is his or her significant other DESPERATELY trying to keep an already unstable realm from falling into even worse chaos, because sometimes life just sucks and the Emperor can only do so much...sorry, buddy.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
my stories get really really really complicated... but that because its a series, and some stuff carries over. Luckily i think about my series so much that i dont loose track of much, but what kills me are the dates and times and stuff like that of past books... God i forget how old Faith should be every single book i start!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I admire anyone that can write a series. I mean, i don't know if my story has enough substance to it to carry over to another book. And even if it did, how would i know when i'd finished? Oh it's oh-so complex :s

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah... it was never ment to be a series but after the first one i loved my characters too much to stop writing with them. But each book can pretty much stand alone because there is always a new adventure and new bad guy, the only thing that ties them all together are the characters and what they are Freaks and Monsters.

Ironically i just figured out how i'm epically going to end my series last week. 14 books in all... although the last 2 are really 1 book i'm going to split into two.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right. You must have an epic imagination :)
Sadly i had a reply from the SwanEzine site that i applied my short story to and they said it couldn't be entered because there was a 500 word limit. Would have helped if they'd supplied that little bit of info in the entry details -.- but they did say they liked the vampire theme and would like to put it on their website. I'm like ... *jumps up and down with joy* Yeah, sure, i'd love for you to put it on your website. *is cool as a cucumber*.
I'm probably very naive, but even someone liking the story makes me happy. :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
that's not naive at all! Congrats that is awsome!

And i dont actually have that much of an epic imagination... just the two last books will be epic because I finally figured out how to get my series to have a full circle ending, and how to answer all the un answered questions and how to tie together all my books together better!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I would like to be capable of writing a series but my ideas don't allow that to happen. Like my idea for a next mystery involves finding out that the MC is the murderer at the end... so it's kinda difficult to have series. And I don't have the imagination to have more than One adventure with the same MC, I always want to change the setting and chars.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
oh i change the setting a lot... end of the world, run down house, mansion, byberry asylum (look it up it was in philadelphia), a school, town in the middle of no where surrounded by an electric fence, government run medical testing facility, college campus, haunted house, woods, drug/weapons/sex dealing underground, and more...

But i just utterly love my characters WAY too unhealthly much for me to ever write about something without them!

Well i do have one book outside my series but that a whole different long story.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say i'm in love with my characters. All i do know is they are messed up. Sibling rivalry and family issues galore. Oh and a Vampire Council who could give the women on the View (only watched it once but they seem bitchin') a run for their money. LMAO! They're meant to be mean and evil, but dude, they're looking more like puppies!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I need to come up with stronger, more interesting characters to get attached. My last protag was not very good but I have a better idea for a new one - mom dead, dad recently murdered, dropped out of HS not b/c he was stupid but because he's distracted, wants to pursue acting career but when dad is murdered, discovers that there is more to his dad than he realized... I think he's a much better char, but your chars must be very strong for you to be so attached to them.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly i had a reply from the SwanEzine site that i applied my short story to and they said it couldn't be entered because there was a 500 word limit. Would have helped if they'd supplied that little bit of info in the entry details -.- but they did say they liked the vampire theme and would like to put it on their website. I'm like ... *jumps up and down with joy* Yeah, sure, i'd love for you to put it on your website. *is cool as a cucumber*.
I'm probably very naive, but even someone liking the story makes me happy. :)

*Googles* This contest says limit of 1,000 words... I'm no Writer Beware and I didn't search that in-depth, but this contest actually looks pretty solid to me... Strange.

Last edited:

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah i know, that is strange. But then again, i didn't even see where it said 1000 word limit. My story was 1200 words so... oops. My bad.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi again. Kinda new to AW and this forum. Does anyone in this forum write mysteries? Noir or hardboiled? Thanks. Wanna work my way around...

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Also how do you subscribe to a thread. I know this isn't the right place to put this but I wanna subscribe to this thread...

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I would like to be capable of writing a series but my ideas don't allow that to happen. Like my idea for a next mystery involves finding out that the MC is the murderer at the end... so it's kinda difficult to have series. And I don't have the imagination to have more than One adventure with the same MC, I always want to change the setting and chars.

CT is my first attempt at a real series. I'm struggling a little bit to figure out exactly what the plot arcs for the next two books are going to be. I haven't even started revisions yet, though, so I have time. BB has series potential, but not with the same characters. I kind of want to do companion books with a couple of the minor characters.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
CT is my first attempt at a real series. I'm struggling a little bit to figure out exactly what the plot arcs for the next two books are going to be. I haven't even started revisions yet, though, so I have time. BB has series potential, but not with the same characters. I kind of want to do companion books with a couple of the minor characters.
Yeah that sounds cool. I have one minor char who I love from my last book. She's Julia: a rather corpulent, sour, cantankerous secretary who detests her job and people in general. She's also very explicit about her feelings

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a bit silly that i've decided to end my story at just over 50,000 words? I mean, the girl is narrating it (well, most of it) and she's telling the over-all story and it sort of ends on a cliff hanger... like if I did another story to it, it would carry on. You'd get to see what happened next. I just... I just worry i'm ending it because it seems I don't know how to carry on, ending for the sake of ending. And I do know how. I just don't want this story to be a one off, if that makes sense.

I'm making myself dizzy.

I'm going to be adding parts to the rest of the story, so I was thinking if I play it like i've finished the ending, and edit now, then I know the length of the novel will be a lot longer. Am I rambling? I am, aren't I?

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm being smart. I've got 2 copies of my first draft. One is the first, the original, no edits. The other is the edited version. Woot! That way i won't forget what i wrote... originally. haha. My friend would call me "special" right now... i know it!

Oh and i realised who that extra character was. Wasn't even extra. She was the mother! Oh my god, i think i need to sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.