The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I've desperately wanted to write all week. And now, I am writing! About database management. Which is one of the dullest things ever.

Life, you got a mean sense of humor.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Reading reports of black-outs and battle rage from modern military psychiatrists are fascinating. It helps me a lot, because I refuse to believe soldiers haven't been suffering from PTSD since the first neanderthal rock battle, and as the majority of my characters are soldiers/were at one point, they all have their own issues with 'battle fatigue.' Makes an oddball out in fantasy, but it pisses me off to read about people slashing and hacking and being fine with it afterwards. They aren't. And they never have been.
THIS. It's so annoying when stories are full of violence and trauma but act like it has no consequences beyond the physical. I bet your story is going to be wonderful, and I don't think you'll be a total oddball either. Abercrombie uses his background in psychology a lot in his writing and his books are very popular.

At least, I sincerely hope solid psychology for characters isn't a strike against a book. Because if it is, I'm screwed. Childhood trauma and the psychological effects of prolonged isolation are big parts of my WIP.

See, if you'd just get over your aversion to many-legged monstrosities, we'd have a lot in common. :D

I have the nasty feeling being a cool kid might require a special sort of hat Mac hands out....
I want a special hat! Then I could banninate my enemies and give people special creepy avatars against their will. :evil

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Reading reports of black-outs and battle rage from modern military psychiatrists are fascinating. It helps me a lot, because I refuse to believe soldiers haven't been suffering from PTSD since the first neanderthal rock battle, and as the majority of my characters are soldiers/were at one point, they all have their own issues with 'battle fatigue.' Makes an oddball out in fantasy, but it pisses me off to read about people slashing and hacking and being fine with it afterwards. They aren't. And they never have been.
THIS. It's so annoying when stories are full of violence and trauma but act like it has no consequences beyond the physical. I bet your story is going to be wonderful, and I don't think you'll be a total oddball either. Abercrombie uses his background in psychology a lot in his writing and his books are very popular.

At least, I sincerely hope solid psychology for characters isn't a strike against a book. Because if it is, I'm screwed. Childhood trauma and the psychological effects of prolonged isolation are big parts of my WIP.

Ooooh. These are exactly the kinds of things I'm currently writing about, though with other stuff going on too. The topic I've researched most is probably the politics and history of medicine, particularly the non-physical varieties.

If you're interested in some of the turning points I suggest Combat Stress in the 20th Century: A Commonwealth Perspective. I have mixed views one the latter half of the book, but the first 1/4th taught me a lot of cool shit on how society and doctors viewed various neurological, psychological and psychosomatic illnesses in the decades before WWI.

I heart you both.

I have an odd fascination with extreme dissociative states, possibly due to the horribly trippy flavour of my own PTSD-ness. The berserker states observed in warriors throughout history (for a clear-cut example--- Cuchulainn) definitely fall under this heading. Changes to the body and to the perception thereof related to trauma are also a big one, but I'm currently trying to expand my knowledge of the subtler shit, trauma-induced irritability a la Donald Duck and whatnot.

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score

See, if you'd just get over your aversion to many-legged monstrosities, we'd have a lot in common. :D

*blushes very hard*
Blushing_Emoticon_by_Myouchi.gif
Aww, thanks! I feel like I still need to lace it in more with one character, but I was so sick of reading and never finding any sort of disorder anywhere. I have an anorexic princess, and it honestly makes me a little nervous because I've never seen that in a fantasy novel. (She has an obsessive need for control based on life events, and it manifested itself in food restriction.)

I want a special hat! Then I could banninate my enemies and give people special creepy avatars against their will. :evil

I should probably be terrified of saying this, but I'd love being a mod. I think the work they do is awesomesauce.

Ooooh. These are exactly the kinds of things I'm currently writing about, though with other stuff going on too. The topic I've researched most is probably the politics and history of medicine, particularly the non-physical varieties.

If you're interested in some of the turning points I suggest Combat Stress in the 20th Century: A Commonwealth Perspective. I have mixed views one the latter half of the book, but the first 1/4th taught me a lot of cool shit on how society and doctors viewed various neurological, psychological and psychosomatic illnesses in the decades before WWI.

I heart you both.

I have an odd fascination with extreme dissociative states, possibly due to the horribly trippy flavour of my own PTSD-ness. The berserker states observed in warriors throughout history (for a clear-cut example--- Cuchulainn) definitely fall under this heading. Changes to the body and to the perception thereof related to trauma are also a big one, but I'm currently trying to expand my knowledge of the subtler shit, trauma-induced irritability a la Donald Duck and whatnot.

Thanks for the book rec! I will totally check that out when I have time. My favorite thing is reading about battle black out, when the entire forebrain shuts down and blood flow moves away from the extremities to limit bleeding. It's amazing what the lizard brain can do when it wants to live.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
*Flops into Cantina*

Three hours and I haven't finished a first draft of this query. I don't get how people can write short! *Passes out in dark chocolate and thin mint haze*

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
*Flops into Cantina*

Three hours and I haven't finished a first draft of this query. I don't get how people can write short! *Passes out in dark chocolate and thin mint haze*

*pat pat pat* It's hard. I'm on my 8th draft in QLH, which makes it something like my 13th+ overall. Have you been going on QueryShark? I don't always like the queries she does, but it gives you a great range of stuff to look at.

ETA'd ION: I got the topic of my paper changed! Now it's 1000 words on ebooks and epublishing. Hells yeah!

Last edited:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I have an anorexic princess, and it honestly makes me a little nervous because I've never seen that in a fantasy novel. (She has an obsessive need for control based on life events, and it manifested itself in food restriction.)

Win, WIN, so much win! This is the kind of thing that I would like to see more of in all genres, and that I feel is missing from fantasy right now.

I have a bit of a conundrum with my current MC in that I'm not sure what modern-day diagnosis to have in mind while I select his behaviour. I know what they call it in the year 2462, but without a 2013 equivalent to work from I'm always worried to death about realism and shizz.

My favorite thing is reading about battle black out, when the entire forebrain shuts down and blood flow moves away from the extremities to limit bleeding. It's amazing what the lizard brain can do when it wants to live.

Heck yes, and amazing/scary what the brain will do to itself long-term to survive too.

Last edited:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
*Flops into Cantina*

:Hug2:

Writing short is evil and was injected into the world of querying by alien entities who harvest our frustration and bemusement.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Win, WIN, so much win! This is the kind of thing that I would like to see more of in all genres, and that I feel is missing from fantasy right now.

Oh, that makes me feel so much better! I've always found it dumb that fantasy/sci fi ignores the damage it does via plot to its characters' minds, but I thought that since it wasn't out there, nobody wanted it. Yay!

Though I will say it's hard having a character with such a severe eating disorder. I really wanted to help her get rid of it, but the more I write, the more I realize it's always going to be there. Maybe not as badly as it is currently in WIP #3, but still there. It's so sad, because she's wrecked her health to the point where children are impossible, and she desperately them.

I have a bit of a conundrum with my current MC in that I'm not sure what modern-day diagnosis to have in mind while I select his behaviour. I know what they call it in the year 2462, but without a 2013 equivalent to work from I'm always worried to death about realism and shizz.

I'm a psych major, so feel free to toss the symptoms at me and I'll see if I can help. :)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
*pat pat pat* It's hard. I'm on my 8th draft in QLH, which makes it something like my 13th+ overall. Have you been going on QueryShark? I don't always like the queries she does, but it gives you a great range of stuff to look at.

ETA'd ION: I got the topic of my paper changed! Now it's 1000 words on ebooks and epublishing. Hells yeah!
I've been on Queryshark, and QLH (even the stickies) but I just can't seem to get it under 250 words. My darlings scream. They scream! *Shivers*

Also, yay, that sounds like a pretty fun paper :)

:Hug2:

Writing short is evil and was injected into the world of querying by alien entities who harvest our frustration and bemusement.
I'll drink to that! *Tosses back a shot of mint chocolate milkshake*

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on Queryshark, and QLH (even the stickies) but I just can't seem to get it under 250 words. My darlings scream. They scream! *Shivers*

It took me 4 drafts to get there. It's so difficult. Basically, what I did is let it run whatever length it ended up being, then took a chainsaw to it. Lessened the pressure of writing short. I tend to write fairly tight anyway (added 12K after finishing as opposed to cutting). I've also done the reverse and over simplified it and then gone back and expanded. :Hug2:

Also, yay, that sounds like a pretty fun paper :)

I'm so happy it got changed. Database management is insanely complicated (to me) and I know nothing about it. This? It took me a 1/2 hour to find my sources because I knew what to look for. Something this semester will finally be easy!!! :hooray:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
All the effort I put into my big urban fantasy/romance/whatever-the-hell-else idea... and it's just been taken over in my writing priorities list by something else. Though that's probably good in the long run on account of this new one being more centrally focused and not as vague, sprawling and unmanageable (yet, give it time and it will be), but it's still mildly irritating when an idea you devote so much effort to just gets left in the dust.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
CAAAAAAN YOOOOU FEEEEL THEEEE WUUUUUUV TOOOONIIIIIGHT?

I'm just going to say that was stress psychosis and leave it at that.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
Our local used bookstore was having a "tentless tent sale" today. $1 for hardcovers. And I've made a lot of progress working through my stack lately so I let myself splurge a little. :D

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
All the effort I put into my big urban fantasy/romance/whatever-the-hell-else idea... and it's just been taken over in my writing priorities list by something else. Though that's probably good in the long run on account of this new one being more centrally focused and not as vague, sprawling and unmanageable (yet, give it time and it will be), but it's still mildly irritating when an idea you devote so much effort to just gets left in the dust.
Well, maybe some time on the backburner will help bring that previous story into a tighter focus? Then you can get back to it with fresh eyes!

Ugh. Query finished, but not enough rum in the house to convince me to try posting it. >.>

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Well, maybe some time on the backburner will help bring that previous story into a tighter focus? Then you can get back to it with fresh eyes!
True, true.

Ugh. Query finished, but not enough rum in the house to convince me to try posting it. >.>
Why is the rum always gone?

ION: It's currently 1:45am... what in the name of billy blue :censored am I doing still being awake?

Last edited:

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
:Coffee: and good morning Cantina. I'm off to the AW meet-up in London in just over an hour.

I know that several of you are Princess Bride fans, so please raise a glass for Margery Mason, who played The Ancient Booer in the film, who celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday.

Hope you had fun at the meet-up!

*tips a glass to Margery Mason*

So, having just signed the contract, I can now tell you that I'm gonna be... a QC Co-ordinator.

Congratulations!

Good morning Cantina. I got some writing done! Not nearly as much as I'd hoped, but I always run out of steam after about two hours. :( Still, we're almost to the end of act 1` and the turn into the stuff I'm really looking forward to!

Woohoo! Congrats!

Whenever I apply for a job I always end up feeling like :chair

So... :chair

Good luck!

Nice! Let us know when you get brave enough to post. ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen enough of the ER this month. This time it was not for me though, but for a friend that was having issues and not really wanting medical care. She let me take her though and asked me to stay and call her sister. So her sister and I hung out with her and I translated some medical stuff too.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH PEOPLE. One body is all we have, and even when it fails us, we must nurture ourselves. If you don't look after your health, nothing else matters.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I'm lying in bed, drinking wine and watching Let's Plays. Relaxation!

Addendum: Autumn avatar! =^_^= Which shall stay up until a week from Halloween. (Or Squenix releases a new trailer/render for Lightning Returns.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.