Can it all fall apart at this stage or is it just a tech snafu?

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
So, last week after weeks of back and forth and lovely emails I get the golden ticket: Lets set up a call today!!

I sent my number and waited, and recieved no call. I waited another day, and nothing. I sent another email, but have not recieved a reply.

It's been nearly a week now, and the radio silence is deafening. Surely it can't be falling apart NOW?

My question is, am I at the stage in this relationship where I could call the office in a couple of weeks to see where I am and what's happened? We have lost emails before, and quite frankly, I have R&R & full requests from other agents I could be working on right now than twiddling my thumbs, y'know? :deadhorse

(*BTW: new agent, big tier agency. Should I assume a big workload?)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Double-check your spam folder to make sure you haven't lost an e-mail from her. Also, when you sent your number, did you send a time? It seems to me that professionals like to make you choose the time, no matter how much you encourage them to choose.

Assuming that there's nothing in your spam folder, and you did give times that were passed over, if more time goes by, it might be worthwhile to call. I'd say give it two weeks from "Let's set up a call today," with another attempt at an e-mail at the one-week mark. That may seem like a lot, but if the e-mails really aren't going through, then you don't want too much time to pass before you try an alternate route.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a time. I'm 15 hours ahead so the time window is pretty small. :-/

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I would have called the agent by this point, or at least sent a DM via Twitter or some other venue than e-mail. Yes, things can fall apart at any stage, and there could be a number of reasons this particular call was stalled, but I would try to get in contact.

That said, I'd also be working on those R&Rs, if you agree with what those other agents advised. Keep yourself busy. And good luck.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the season clifhanger resolves as: Tech Snafu.

Somewhere along the line G-Mail hates me, or something of that nature.

SO, we'll try again. I have sent the number, suggested a time. What will happen to our heroine as she waits by her phone at 1.00 AM tonight....?

(And thanks for your replies everyone. I'm grateful people suggested I keep trying to make contact.)

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
Can I just add a shout-out for the "gmail hates me" comment?

IMHO, an email program has one job to do, and one job only, and that is: DELIVER MY EMAILS.

I can't tell you the number of times I missed emails that got lost in gmail's catastrophic "conversation" mode. You can switch to non-conversation mode (and therefore ensure you receive your emails) or just leave gmail in the dust, where it belongs, and use hotmail or yahoo!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yahoo switched to "conversation mode" a while back also. I've only recently figured out how to turn this off. I find it incredibly confusing and MUCH prefer the old style where a new email shows up as its own thing vs. being part of a huge thread. I agree that it's very easy to lose emails this way.

Treehouseman, I hope you are able to figure this out!

JackieS

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, don't get me started about yahoo mail. I discovered that yahoo turned a bunch of my queries into a conversation. I suspect it's because the title was the same, but I took great pains to research each agent I queried to personalize my letter. I can't be sure if the recipients see each other on the thread, but I am embarrassed just thinking about it. Went so far as to have dreamed a rejection in which the agent said, "at least agentX liked it," ass seen on the conversation, LOL. I have been using my work email to query ever since!