Worried about my agent's ability to rep my book

eclecticwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have a great and well respected agent in California. He's repped me well on my non-fiction works, and now he has my novel. He's had it for a year (he mainly reps NF works), but he's not told me to whom he's sent the manuscript. When I've asked, he's vague. And he's shared (verbally) some feedback from a publisher, telling me that the novel has passed reads within the publishing house (or houses, he's not clear whether there is one publisher or more than one interested).

Is this typical, for an agent to be so vague about where a manuscript has been read and rejected or gone on past the first read? Even after asking several times? Am I out of line to press him for this sort of information at this point, a year after he's taken on the project to rep?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by vague, but: Confront him about it. You're in a relationship--a business relationship. A lack of clear communication is a major problem in any relationship. Don't bash his head in, but say you feel uneasy about his vague responses and would like more clarity and information about the situation.

If you feel as if he's not doing a adequate job, get a fiction agent. Talk to him about keeping him as your exclusive NF agent, and having a exclusive fiction agent.

eclecticwriter

Registered
Reaction score
By vague, I mean no specifics about which publishers have actually seen the manuscript. Thanks for your response. It's helpful. I've wondered a lot about whether this is just not his genre, although he assures me he can rep any book. He's done well for me in the past, but...

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I have a great and well respected agent in California. He's repped me well on my non-fiction works, and now he has my novel. He's had it for a year (he mainly reps NF works), but he's not told me to whom he's sent the manuscript. When I've asked, he's vague. And he's shared (verbally) some feedback from a publisher, telling me that the novel has passed reads within the publishing house (or houses, he's not clear whether there is one publisher or more than one interested).

Is this typical, for an agent to be so vague about where a manuscript has been read and rejected or gone on past the first read? Even after asking several times? Am I out of line to press him for this sort of information at this point, a year after he's taken on the project to rep?

Unwillingness to provide names strikes me as suspicious. At the least, it strikes me as a dealbreaker when it comes to being your business partner, that he's not willing to share information.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ask him for a list of all the editors (get names and imprints) who have seen the book, and what their responses have been so far.

This is basic information which he should be able to provide without too much effort.

TheZenofLinda

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While I agree with everyone that an agent is supposed to be working for and with you, and that he owes you clear information when it's requested, I want to point out that it's not so easy to get a fiction agent. I had one many years ago and parted ways after a year because she hadn't sold my book and I thought that was long enough (yes, I was young and stupid). Years have passed and I still haven't found another agent to rep my fiction. While there are many reasons for this -- more stupidity, time off to raise kids and earn a living, etc. -- it's also because agents are very, very particular about what novels they take on. With the contraction of the publishing houses, that's only gotten worse. So I'd say think very carefully about how you proceed and if there's any way to make things work with this agent, give it a go.
good luck!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Is the agent part of an agency? If so, could your present agent partner up or pass the fiction to someone else in the agency? My own fiction agent offered to do that on a NF I was considering writing.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Follow Old Hack's advice. If you are looking to get another agent for your fiction (you don't need to dump your current agent to do that, since he's repped you mainly for non-fiction), then you are going to have to get a list of who he's submitted the novel to anyway. Another agent is going to need that information before s/he takes you on.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A agent who withholds specifics is an agent you should dump immediately. There is no good reason to do this, ever.

If you can write well, another agent won't be difficult to find, but every second you waste with this agent just means a second of your life gone forever. You need the specifics, and you need them now.

You also need a second finished, polished novel as soon as possible.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Your agent should absolutely not be coy about who he/she is submitting your manuscript to. In fact, my agent always sends me the list ahead of time if I ask for it, and usually even if I don't. I would find it extremely irritating if she were unwilling to share who she sent material to, especially a year in to submissions. She doesn't give me a running update every day or anything, but she absolutely keeps me informed on the important things. Bottom line, however, is that you should certainly be proactive and discuss your concerns. You are in a business relationship and it's your career, and it's certainly okay to discuss things with your agent whenever you have concerns.

eclecticwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Have a meeting set up for this week to discuss with him. I appreciate the responses, and hope that I can get some specifics about where the novel stands at this point.