How can one show pacing in a one-page synopsis?

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score
Most agents I plan to approach ask for a one-page synopsis. How can I show the novel's pacing in such a short summary?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
You don't.

That's not what a synopsis is for. The synopsis needs to show the overall story from beginning to end, including only the major plot points and the main character's arc throughout.

Pacing should be fairly obvious in the sample pages.

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
While I'm pretty new to this whole thing (also see signature), it seems like the pacing of your synopsis would/could possibly give a little hint as to the pacing of your novel. But I'm also with Wilde in that the pacing is more the work of the sample pages.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think showing pacing is crucial. Back when I first started, two editors told me to use the jacket synopsis on the cover of a published novel as a model. The inside jack synopsis of a hardcover novel usually works best.

That is a synopsis the publisher uses to sell readers the novel. It shows the overall story, but does so in a vibrant, exciting way that reveals pace, character, plot, and more.

The only real difference is that your synopsis should reveal the ending. It takes some practice to get it right, to use good, vibrant language without being over the top, but I've sold a lot of writing with synopsis just like this.