The Bouncy Castle in Space

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I am dragging my heels on starting a new MG project that I've been planning... I need some motivation... *sigh*

If bouncing doesn't help, maybe try starting with your favorite scene? Sometimes, if I can't get started I write the scene that made me want to turn the idea into a book. I've even written a scene that I knew would never make it in the book, just to get my creative juices flowing.

You might end up re-writing the whole thing, but if it gets your wheels going, then it's worth it.

Just my thoughts on it.

Last edited:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've had a busy September, with kids and new schools and stuff. I'm very excited, because I think the ARC to my book is coming in the mail soon, and I can't wait to share.

Ruth - congratulations on the fan mail and the Highlights story! Awesome!

MJWare - that review cracked me up with how inappropriate it was. Holy cow, I hope they take that down. On the plus side - 418 5-star reviews!!! WOWZA!!

CheG - I agree with MJ, sometimes I start with the scene I want to write, even if it's not the open. I've found my opens end up changing a million times during the process anyway. Also, sometimes when I'm feeling stuck, I read a good how-to book that will provide the spark I need to get going. And sometimes, just sitting down and starting is the hardest part. Once you start writing, the words come. I don't know if any of that is helpful, but I hope you find your motivation soon!

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I am dragging my heels on starting a new MG project that I've been planning... I need some motivation... *sigh*

I agree with MJWare and Shelia. Also, if you still don't feel any inspiration, try making yourself write 200 or 500 words. For me, at least, the physical act of typing sometimes becomes motivational!

Hi everyone! I've had a busy September, with kids and new schools and stuff. I'm very excited, because I think the ARC to my book is coming in the mail soon, and I can't wait to share.

So exciting, Sheila! Please post a pic if you can. I can't wait to see it :)

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Thanks guys! I'll those a shot! Maybe I do just need to SIT DOWN AND WRITE ON IT LOL! See if it goes where I'm hoping it does.

It's also a format that I've always wanted to write but have yet to actually do- it's an epistolic novel.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I agree with MJWare and Shelia. Also, if you still don't feel any inspiration, try making yourself write 200 or 500 words. For me, at least, the physical act of typing sometimes becomes motivational!
So exciting, Sheila! Please post a pic if you can. I can't wait to see it :)
Ditto!
I just went to a B&N yesterday. It's the first time I've been to a large book store in since my Boarders shutdown (that's like 3 years). It really made me realize how much I still want to see my book on one of those shelves.

I'm so thrilled several of our members are almost there!!!

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
BytoZ4BCMAARz13.jpg

Wow, beautiful!
I remember reading part of this one; was it a contest entry or monthly prompt?

Last edited:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I really like the work that Joe did on the cover, and on the interior illustrations. He really gets the humor and the aw-shucks humility of the main character.

I haven't been told of my release date, but this Goodreads link shows a release date of April 21st, 2015. I'm assuming my publisher put that up. So I'm still 6 months out. It's going to be a looooong wait.

MJ, yes, you remember correctly, it started as a monthly prompt (3 or 4 years ago - ha ha! My path to publication was not speedy. I was rejected so many, many times). That scene is now a few chapters in, but it was thanks to all the great feedback I got here that I kept going with the story.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Sheila! That is such a fantastic cover! Congratulations. Can't wait to see it in the wild!

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Been a while since anyone's bounced in this poor, forlorn and dusting castle in space... Congratulations Sheila! I remember when you were querying, and now you'll be a published author! How awesome is that? :) Quick note: I shocked myself today. Got done writing a chapter of my middle grade book, read it to my mom, and then realized I'd inadvertently finished the thing and left it at a perfect cliff hanger. Now my mom's elbowing me to make it into a trilogy. Guess I'll see how it goes. Here's hoping :)

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ramshackle and Ruth! It's a surreal feeling to have it actually out there :)