Should a forwarded query get a follow-up?

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
So, my query to Agent A gets a response of, "my client list is full, but this sounds awesome and I'm forwarding it to my colleague, Agent B." I say thank you.

Almost three months later, I have not heard anything from Agent B nor have I queried anyone else at the agency, even though I have a new manuscript that's ready to go. Do I follow-up with Agent B or simply assume that I'm getting the "silence means no" treatment and send the query for the new novel? And in the latter case, do I mention the old query at all or act like the whole thing never happened? (Important note: the old query was just that -- a query. The submission guidelines specified no pages.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Does the agency state that no response means no thank you? If so, you've got your answer: move on.

If not, then follow up. You have nothing to lose.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
The submissions don't state if I should expect to hear a reply or not. Agent A has send in interviews that s/he responds within a month.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably do a follow-up and mention that I have another manuscript. At least then I won't sound like I've been doing nothing except refreshing my inbox for ten weeks. ^_^;;

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If they don't say "no response means no" then I'd definitely nudge them.

Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's no reason at all not to inquire. No one is going to get mad, or bite you, or put you on a list of naughty writers. The worst that can happen is nothing.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to look at response times here (search for the agent or agency) and on query tracker. The one month note may indicate good intentions rather than reality. If you see shorter times there, follow up. If they are all longer, wait a bit more.