Successful Queries

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Yes my agent asked if I had any other manuscripts and looked at two of my others-- this was after she offered representation.
The focus was always on Lottery however.

writingmom

Happy To Be !
Registered
Reaction score
Need advice please !

Ok here's the story. I cannot write my own query letter, please don't laugh. I find myself writing different ones trying to make the last one clearer. I need help, if any of you can advise me where to go or better yet who to go to for specifics, (and please don't recommend books). I know I'm being unreasonable but do need help, thanks :D
Oh if you could e-mail me.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
You could try Anne Mini's site. She has just finished a in depth series on writing queries:

Here ya go.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I will say writing the query letter was the hardest part of this whole process. And I will say it again - writing it over and over and toiling over it is the only way you will succeed.

Newport2Newport

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyeshore.com
I may have entered this question on the wrong thread (Writing Nonfiction). Please forgive me for cross-posting, but I'd love to hear your thoughts...

The draft query for my memoir proposal cannibalizes some verbiage from the Overview and About the Author sections of the proposal itself. While I could write something altogether different, I think those sentences capture the essence of the project and (I hope) might just catch the eye of my dream agent.

My bottom-line question: Do you think agents might find the overlap objectionable?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I did the same thing with my prologue and query - even in my letter to the reader in my ARC - I wouldn't worry about it - each of those things need to stand alone if need be - that was my reasoning - I don't think it's a problem IMHO

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I posted my entire successful e-query for LOTTERY under AW bookclubs on the LOTTERY thread - lots of AWers were asking for it so I thought why not. Let me know if it helps.

Newport2Newport

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyeshore.com
I posted my entire successful e-query for LOTTERY under AW bookclubs on the LOTTERY thread - lots of AWers were asking for it so I thought why not. Let me know if it helps.

Thank you so much! This helps quite a bit, as did your earlier reply to my question. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer -- not once, but twice. :)

Newport2Newport

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyeshore.com

Ancient Secrets

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Did I miss something or were all these successful queries by published authors?
Any successful query by a new author?

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I think these are all successful queries by first-time published authors, ie.they're all published now, but weren't when they sent these queries.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score

JulieJames

boldly going nowhere...
Registered
Reaction score
WOW!!! This is awesome! I'm so glad I found this thread!!! I need to get to work on a query letter...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It was on the shortlist for the Orange Prize

Grandmaster

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm blind, too tired, hung-over or a combination, but I didn't see a query on either of the linked pages in the O.P.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Grandmaster, it happened in post #19.

Last edited: