The Tenth Circle

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yaaaay Calla!!! Wheeeee! *hands you celebratory chocolates*

I have a question... I sent my agent the first fir chapters of my revised book 2 weeks ago. When can I nudge her? *Is impatient*

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Calla!

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
How's everyone doing? It's an unusually hot British summer here (yay!) so I think we need some sunshiney cocktails. *hands out Pimms, G&Ts and Pina Coladas*

I've just completed my first-ever editorial notes and sent the book back to my ed, who printed it out right away and took it off to read... so there might be some staring at my inbox going on. Luckily am off on my lovely retreat in France in a couple of days so that'll take my mind off waiting, so looking forward to it :)

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Ooh, I'll take a G&T, please.

*puts feet up*

First of all, congratulations on finishing your notes! And oh my goodness, France! Where will you go?

I am now trudging away on another sample chapter and trying to ignore the fact that I feel paralyzed and terrified. I've read so many things about these people that everything new I read sounds like a plagiarism. Luckily (?) I have so much other stuff to be working on that I'm just plowing forward in the time allotted.

How's everyone else?

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first set of editorial notes from my publisher and they were brilliant. He did an overview and then a chapter by chapter one line review. Sometimes he'd just put "good," or "great," or "snap" and so when I got to the sections where he wanted changes, I was ready to kill for him. Love my new publisher!

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Erin, I went to Burgundy, a big house in the middle of the countryside, it was really lovely and relaxing, though I have to say I did more lazing than writing. But now am back and feeling refreshed and ready to dive into my sequel so it was totally worth it. Fingers crossed for your sample chapters.

Congrats on loving your new editor, Peggy!

Now, apart from the writing, am back to staring at my inbox waiting to see if my Bk 1 edits took, and various other bits of news have been waiting for forever... *pours self wine*

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Wheeee, my ed loved my Bk 1 edits so we're straight on to copy edits :D Nice surprise, was expecting more tweaking. Also exciting news - I now have an illustrator for my books! Can't wait to see what he comes up with...

How are you guys doing?

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
*tiptoes in* Hi, everybody! I think I know you all from the Next Circle.

I'm almost ready to hang out here. I think. Just waiting on an official something-or-other.

Yay for approved edits, GF! That's one hurdle I'm trying not to obsess over, because I already know I have a significant rewrite ahead. I just wish I had some sense of deadlines...

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Yays all around!

My yay: It looks like I *might* make my self-imposed deadline of a chapter by Labor Day. PHEW. This writing thing is no joke.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
So...this may sound like "my diamond shoes are too tight"...but I'm working on my 3rd contracted book, and I feel lost. I'm on deadline, but my confidence is shot. My mojo is nonexistent. I'm trying to just keep going, but I can't find the magic, and the words all feel flat and empty.

Any advice?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Keep slogging, every single day.

I'm in a similar situation. I agreed to turn in a book every 7 months.

I'll pause for you all to gasp, point, and laugh.

Normally I say 8 months is my minimum, but this was a phone call (aagh) with the owner of Henery, and I had to convince her I could write to spec. (My agent knows I can, but, hey, I understand. She didn't know me from Adam.) I got the strongest feeling that I should *not* say 8 months. So I signed a contract for 3 books at 7 months each. I wanted this contract. I knew what I was getting into. Only because this is for my existing series can I do this. I know the characters.

I'm a little fried, but I have to do this, so even when I'm whipped from the Day Job and no mojo is forthcoming, I write every single night.

Flatness and emptiness can be spiced up in edits. :)

Good luck. We are sisters in exhaustion. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys :) and welcome to the tenth circle, Fuschia!

Calla - love your new cover, so so cute, congrats!!

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Calla...you are so silly. But you'll get through. Maybe the deadlines will keep you spry? *ducks*

ARoyce, I SO identify. I try to just adopt a workmanlike attitude and remind myself that no work is wasted work, if that makes any sense.

Finished the chapter and sent it off to the agent. Fingers once again crossed. I am working on this contract book thingy that needs to get out the door and once that's gone I will start writing my Big Scary Novel. Not entirely sure I'm up to the challenge, but I shall try.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I just wish I had some sense of deadlines...

Be careful what you wish for ;)

I have one (well, one and another one after that) novel deadline and two short story ones and a case of "oh crap I can't..." especially as one short is to be in someone else's world and what if I cock it up..meep

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for ;)

I have one (well, one and another one after that) novel deadline and two short story ones and a case of "oh crap I can't..." especially as one short is to be in someone else's world and what if I cock it up..meep

Yikes — and bon courage! I'm sure you won't cock it up. :)

I'm hoping I get enough lead time to schedule a vacation from the day job so those merciless weekly deadlines don't get in the way. It can be tricky.

Question: When is the best time to send your agent a small thank-you-for-being-awesome-and-selling-my-book gift? Does after the contract signing work, or did I miss my opportunity?

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Aroyce, I'm in a similar boat. I have to begin Book 3 in my contracted series and my original idea is not working out well. I'm drained. I need an burst of something, just not sure what...