I am Burning Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenning

Brewing My Knucklehead
Registered
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am new here, have read some great posts and finally get down to writing this. Everyone, Hi!

Well, I have a dilemma, would very much appreciate if anyone could pitch in.

I have finished my Lit Fic. From start to now has been 4 years. Edited it to death. Even rewrote it twice. And tested my versions of cover letter and synopsis and three chapters by sending out to a few agents at a time. While waiting for their reply, I'd read award-winning novels, lit magazines as such, and if I don't hear from any agents, I know that my stuff didn't work and by then, I had put away the novel for a few months. So I take it out and revise with a fresher eye, revise my synopsis and cover letter as well.

I didn't use beta reader nor attend any creative writing class, didn't pay any freelance editor neither. I guess I didn't feel comfortable with those methods.

Obviously, every time I return to my mss, I can see what was written badly before which I was blind at. And every time I finished revising, I felt confident with my mss to do new rounds of sending out. (I have done maybe 4 times) But my question is, I have been burning many bridges of good agencies. And I still don't have anyone ask for full. It is becoming worrisome.

Any suggestion?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest:

You edit the work as much as you can as of right now. Proofread the living hell out of it.
While doing so, be an active member of the community and jump into some interesting discussions. You might want to check out the SYW section as I think it's a great place to learn.
When you get 50+ posts, put your first chapter into the SYW section here (which is password protected so the work isn't published, and not just anyone can steal it. You do hold copywrite on your work as of this moment. You don't have to worry).
Good chance you'll get a lot of help from that first chapter, content and writing wise. With new thoughts, edit your work again.
Possibly put the first chapter back into the SYW section for another scrubbing.
As for beta-readers. I see no reason why you shouldn't do this; there's threads in the beta-readers section to help protect you. (You don't need to take classes, or have a degree, nor have an editor go over your work. IMHO, the SYW section and a critical beta-readers will do you much more good, and to pay for this all you have to do is help other people out)
If you think it's good, go into the SYW section Query Letter Hell, read all the stickies and follow the guides. Put a query up to be bashed to hell and back.

Then cut your losses with the agents, and try again.

Zenning

Brewing My Knucklehead
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Will,

Thanks for the reply.
I've been navigating around and still don't see the talked-about SYW and QLH …
Can you give me a pointer? Something's wrong with my eyes..?!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Zenning

Brewing My Knucklehead
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kyla!
It does get overwhelming, as the moment I want to say or ask or answer something, I dither and thought, it is probably said and asked and answered somewhere, some time ago, on some threads before!
Knowing those links you've given me, I'll try ease myself into the community now.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, take your time, and have fun with it. You'll find your way around soon I feel sure. Feel free to ask if you need help, too.

:)

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You can use the Google custom search bar at the bottom of the page (every page of AW I think) to search keywords of your question. There's also a lot of stickies in each forum/sub-forum that you might want to read up on.

Zenning

Brewing My Knucklehead
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be bugging back in, it's so windy outside, I'm back into my lair. I've been (my mail has been) to NYC and London, gotten back two more drops of 'rejection' rain. Something is wrong with me.
I just want to ask, how come there seems to have no beta reader for mix lit / comm fiction, or have I not scroll down enough pages to look for one? And, man, I am dying to do a swap with someone the same. If not the whole ms at least the 1- 3 chapters.

aehearn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aehearn.com
I also suggest Beta readers. Nothing compares to their feedback. I use alpha readers (my weekly critique group) for feedback on what I'm writing as I'm writing it. Really, they help with the process. Beta readers are great for answering questions of overarching narrative arcs, character motivations, and plotting. It doesn't matter how much you line edit if those elements aren't up to snuff.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can post in the betas wanted area for anything, you just say what you have.

However, once you have 50 posts, you're also free to post a chapter and your query in the SYW sections and you'll get much more feedback than from just one beta.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be bugging back in, it's so windy outside, I'm back into my lair. I've been (my mail has been) to NYC and London, gotten back two more drops of 'rejection' rain. Something is wrong with me.
I just want to ask, how come there seems to have no beta reader for mix lit / comm fiction, or have I not scroll down enough pages to look for one? And, man, I am dying to do a swap with someone the same. If not the whole ms at least the 1- 3 chapters.

Under SYW, spend some time in the 'hook me in 200' threads in whatever genre you right. You may post snippets immediately, but I'd advise critiquing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.