What writing gigs should I pursue to start generating a decent income?

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been unemployed for the past few months and am a single mom with three kids. I haven't been able to find a full-time job. I was in the only company around that hires for my line of work. I need to do something new anyway.

I'm re-writing a novel and have several picture books sent out but I need money yesterday.

What can I start immediately to at least bring in something?

I wrote for a weekly newspaper years ago but have since packed all my clips and have no idea where they are.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
From my experiences, freelance writing is not a get rich quick by any means.

Well, I suppose you could try content writing that pays horrible, but if you spend a lot of time at it, you might earn enough for some coffee...

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
You can apply to educational publishers for freelance work and use your picture books as clips, but this won't get you quick cash even if they like your work. Here's a listing of educational presses. http://www.evelynchristensen.com/markets.html

Consider looking for writing gigs on topics related to your past work. Not likely to pay many bills, but something is better than nothing.

Have you considered trying to find two or three part time positions?

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't tried to get anything part time but I may need to. Thanks for the link Debbie V!

Deleted member 42

Get something part time. Regular income can save your life—and may offer health insurance.

It's way easier to quit a job than find a job, so I always suggest finding something that's predictable while you get your freelance income started.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
You can apply to educational publishers for freelance work and use your picture books as clips, but this won't get you quick cash even if they like your work. Here's a listing of educational presses. http://www.evelynchristensen.com/markets.html
Thanks for that link! Very useful if I ever go through with my half-arsed idea of writing some educational children's books on science.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
On another note, you might also check out the Paying Markets sub-forum on this site. You might get lucky and realize you have an old story sitting around that never went anywhere and could be repurposed. Or find something else that strikes your fancy.

Most of it isn't regular income AFAIK, but still worth a look.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What can I start immediately to at least bring in something?
Sell blood.

Seriously. Writing is not a way to bring in money fast. Or regularly. Or in any decent quantities. Especially, and here's the kicker, since you have been unemployed for a while and did not immediately start writing.

You worked a regular job, 40 hours a week. If you are not writing, researching, looking for a regular job or going to interviews for 40-60 hours a week, you will not be earning an income writing. Writing is a job. Treat it that way.

Jeff

Last edited:

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Writer Trek.

WeaselFire,

You're right. I've been stressing out over not having a job instead of putting in hours of writing. I've worked some on a novel but I should be putting in more time writing whatever I can get my hands on. Thanks.

RedStringSoul

Chaos Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a community newspaper? Community newspapers may be looking for stringers. They likely won't pay much and terms may be Net 30/60 whatever but anything is anything when you really need money.

If you get desperate, there may be listings on Craigslist, Elance, etc. I'd advise against these "markets" as they usually pay absolute crap (fractions of a cent per word) but I also know what it's like to be desperate for money.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WeaselFire,

You're right.
Don't tell my wife, I don't want to spoil her opinion of me. :)

One that might work is a blog for single mothers, along with links to your Amazon Associates account for people to guy things you reference.

Jeff

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
RedStringSoul,

I live in a small town but we have like five local newspapers so that could be a good possibility.

WeaselFire,

I have a couple ideas for blogs with possible advertising...I haven't thought of a single mom blog, though. Good idea.

Thanks for the suggestions!

tylersmama

Registered
Reaction score
I am a freelance writer/copy writer/subber and certainly agree that is isn't a way to make lots of money fast. Sometimes the cupboard is so bare, I consider eating the hinges.

But I echo what another poster said about content writing. It does pay horribly sometimes, but it's a good way to get a portfolio going and it is how I started. I think I would get £5 per 250 words (wince), however, I did it for the experience and to beat on my craft. Once I had done it for a few months, I was able to approach magazines, newspapers, marketing companies, etc, with a few samples under my belt and a few references/recommendations.

A blog is also a fabulous idea. Once you have started a blog, sign up to Bloglovin - it's a community for bloggers. A little like Twitter (you can follow/be followed) but for blogs, and it's a great way to conjure up viewers. Twitter also does have a good blogger community - another way to get your blog link out there and mix with others.

Good luck!

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I would definitely recommend freelance, it's very easy and you can find lots of jobs by searching the internet, and it doesn't take up a lot of time, especially if you enjoy it!