The Bookity Book & Tall Grass Salon

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I've been lax about showing my gratitude for one good poem--sometimes a great poem--daily.

Today's listing about Will Rogers and Wiley Post contained much information I didn't know. Sad, too.

Mr. Maryn has decided to take my advice and seek shorts while it's still summer. I told him this in June, so I suspect the choices will be pretty picked over. We shall see. At any rate, after making me grind my teeth behind a forced pleasant expression while we grocery shopped together, I think being apart for a few hours is pretty smart on his part. This retirement business is not always easy.

Maryn, who hasn't been alone anywhere near enough for a long time now--when is she supposed to sing out loud or dance in the living room?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I remember one summer day when I was about twelve. My grandmother was sitting in our kitchen, almost in tears, telling my mom about Grandpa, who had recently retired. She was upset because he even followed her downstairs to tell her how to do the laundry. Funny how things stick with us. At the time I can remember thinking--but Grandpa is fun. Why cry? --s6

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Well, Maryn, I can only say I hope it gets easier. Too bad he's not a gardener, that would so keep him busy and out of your hair!

Shakey, that's just kind of poignant about your granddad. He maybe didn't know much of any other way to interact? But whatever it was, it would be hard to live with. I remember my mom had somewhat similar issues with my dad. He wanted them both to stay at home and she was always much more sociable in general than he was. They did enjoy most of what they did together, though, I'm glad to say.

And I'm happy to post the almanac; it's easy enough to do and starts my own day off nicely -- unless the darned thing is late getting to me for which I blame my email and not the almanc. :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the time, Grandpa was fun! But like candy, too much Grandpa can make you feel ill.

I don't know if I was just irritable this morning or if Mr. Maryn was shopping like a man who's never been in a grocery store before. (He's shopped solo a bunch of times now.) Get this: He reads the next item on the list and goes to find it, without regard to what items might be together. While I grouped such items together when I added them to the list, he had not, so we were way past the produce department when his favorite kind of apples appeared on the list. We also went right past some items in his pursuit of what was next, so we did lots of back-tracking.

I know, everybody's problems should be so serious, right? The very pregnant woman in line in front of us could not pay for her very full cart, her check and credit card both refused. I felt rich--but not so rich I could treat her to a couple hundred bucks' worth of groceries. If she'd been twenty short, I could have helped.

Maryn, lucky woman

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If I fail the qualifying exams again this time, I'm saying fuck it and applying to MFA programs.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We shall cross our crossables, in that case, Kuwi. When do we need to begin?

Maryn, wishing you success

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are you qualifying for?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What are you qualifying for?

PhD qualifying exams. I'm into my 4th year and my research is going fine but I haven't passed the comprehensive exams yet. I just can't into the more theoretical and math-heavy stuff. This was my last chance before I'm dismissed from the program.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can always be my houseboy, Kuwi. I'm pretty messy, but I serve wine a lot.

Maryn, carrying in a fake flirtation from another thread

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PhD qualifying exams. I'm into my 4th year and my research is going fine but I haven't passed the comprehensive exams yet. I just can't into the more theoretical and math-heavy stuff. This was my last chance before I'm dismissed from the program.

That's rough. But the good work you've done, even without the Phid, will serve you. I've seen that play out over and over.

Still, hope you do qualify, if it's what you really want.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That's rough. But the good work you've done, even without the Phid, will serve you. I've seen that play out over and over.

Still, hope you do qualify, if it's what you really want.

I started because I wanted to do research and didn't want to look for a job yet.

If I pass, I'll see it through. If not, I'm okay with that.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's to hoping your hard work pays off, Kuwi! I won't say good luck because I know you've been working hard for it and it won't come down to just luck.

I actually liked my PhD oral prelims. I studied for about six months, and got to play smarty pants for about three hours. If it helps, I was a little bit to a lot wrong on every single answer. The hoop you have to jump through is a lot larger than you think.

In other news, I've posted a slide show of my time in Uganda on YouTube. Feel free to check it out. I'm leaving for London in about an hour then fly to Minneapolis tomorrow. Excited to be going home, but England feels more like home than home does. And Swanny, your post in SYW is still on my list!

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheer me up, Internet! It's turning into a rotten day. Nothing bad, I'm just beating myself up for a boneheaded stupid mistake that put me out some $$$ and time. I'll laugh about it once I forgive myself.

Although a self-described gypsy gave me a tiny bouquet of flowers and went on to say that I will have my strongest wishes surprisingly fulfilled when I arrive home. Then she asked for £10.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Chris, LOL!

Now, in today's almanac, I believe the poem is precisely for you. It's amazing and magical.

The Writer's Almanac for August 17, 2014

And Ted Hughes' birthday is today, shared with two even more iconic figures, Mae West and Davy Crockett.

:D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shakey, we've got a poem from Robert Bly for you today, a dark and magnificent one.

The Writer's Almanac for August 18, 2014

It's the anniversary of the publication of Nabokov's Lolita, which I read while I was in high school, and enjoyed.

It's also the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, "giving" women the right to vote.

There you have it. Another wierd day.

:D

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
And a damn good one it was. I will still be chewing it over, long after my sandwich and Vienna Fingers are gone. The story about Harry Burns was brand new. I had heard stories of the amendment from my aunts and grandparents who were alive at the time, but never that one. As for Lolita--I read it fifty odd years ago and still don't know what to think about it. I didn't enjoy it--somehow I felt sorry for poor Lo but couldn't see that I was supposed to, that was Nabokov wanted me to feel. The times were so very different. I don't think I could ever explain them to someone younger--s6

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm delighted to report that I did know about Harry Burns. It helps that Mr. Maryn, in the first winter months of his retirement, agreed to do some research for me on Anthony, Stanton, et al and shared the highlights. At some point, however, he appointed himself my co-playwright and the project ground to a halt, since he's never written anything that wasn't academic or law-related.

Maryn, who'd planned to write it solo

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Lolita. My roommate at the time was outraged that I was reading it, since he thought it was glorifying pedophilia and all that. To me, there was nothing sensual about it, and more Humbert's confession about what he'd done. As to Skakey's comment, perhaps such tell-alls weren't as common back when in it came out. We're pretty used to them now. But beyond the subject matter, I thought it was beautifully written, with lots of nice word plays. "Dolorous Dolores." I love it!

As for writing with a partner, I suggested to a writerly friend of mine that we do a "he said/she said" travel memoir of a trip we took together. The idea never got beyond an idea, which might not be a bad thing since not much interesting happened on the trip. "The waiter forgot our drinks." "No, he never took the order, remember?" That's some gripping reading there, folks.

Today is the last bit of my homeward travel. I got to Minneapolis last night and my cousin is driving me to my "home of record" in Michigan's Upper Peninsula today. Strangely, it doesn't feel like I've been gone even if all the kids are two years taller.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chris, welcome back to the US!

The Writer's Almanac for August 19, 2014

The text of today's poem, by Mary Oliver, is not available online.

And today is the birthday of Ogden Nash, a marvelous poet of broad humor. :D

Other birthdays of note include that Gene Rodenberry who gave us StarTrek, and some fella from Beaver Utah named Philip Taylor Farnsworth, who invented the television.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Kayla!

I was a late convert to Star Trek. I didn't get into it until The Next Generation series and I thought Voyager was a great show.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

The Writer's Almanac for August 20, 2014

The poem today is deeply satisfying to me. Took me somewhere.

Today is the birthday of H.P. Lovecraft, poet Heather McHugh, and Jacqueline Susann.

Winston Churchill made a speech.

So it goes. (Wasn't that a repeated sentence in one of Kurt Vonnegut's novels? Or did I make that up? :D )

Chris, how are you settling back in? Shakey, how are YOU settling back in?

I wrote a really odd little poem last night, I'll probably post it for crit today. Have to have more coffee and look it over a few more times first.

Last edited:

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Geez, out of touch for 3 days and all sorts of stuff happens! I'm at our cabin, have company, the internet went down and the refrigerator broke. It's now an icebox - literally. We found a new one yesterday but seeing as we're in the back woods and 50 miles from the store, it won't be delivered until Sept. Never a dull moment.

Weighing in on Lolita - I loved it like Chris. Perhaps it was a precursor to my novel where the 12 year old marries (it is set in 1200, so that was "normal" then...)

Glad you're home safe Chris. A friend of mine just went into the Peace Corp - she's in Burkina Faso. I'll bet you have some stories to tell.

I'm lucky - Mr. Swanny's need for being alone matches mine. Although I sometimes wish he would read some of my writing. I think he thinks he will hate it and then what would he say? Thus my critique group.

It's thundering here - rolling down the mountains. Rip Van Winkle time...I'm off to the writing. Cya tomorrow, internet willing.

Oh, and Kuwis, sounds like either way the chips fall, you'll be ok. And as Chris said, you're hard work will definitely pay off, perhaps in a surprising direction.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Kuwis, sounds like either way the chips fall, you'll be ok. And as Chris said, you're hard work will definitely pay off, perhaps in a surprising direction.

In the long term, I think so.

In the short term, I'm starting to worry about what may happen, since if I get kicked, I need to figure out how I'm going to pay rent until my lease is up next summer.

I have enough saved for size months or so, and plenty of wiggle room if I'm allowed to finish this semester, but not sure what I'm going to do if I'm ousted a couple weeks into this semester.

Last edited: