My potatoes need company

Pikko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pikkoshouse.com
I have four potatoes I bought for baking, but in typical me fashion I forgot to buy something to go with them. Any suggestions for what to pair them with besides steak? I rarely eat baked potatoes (we eat mainly rice) so I could use some suggestions.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Cut them into 1-inch squares, pat them with paper towels and let them dry on the counter for a while, and fry them in a cast-iron pan with a lot of red pepper and onions until golden brown. Season to taste.

I'm not a big fan of baked potatoes since they can be boring as all hell. If you do want to bake them, you can go for toppings; butter, sour cream, ranch dressing, bacon bits, green onions, (cheddar) cheese.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I happen to like twice-baked potatoes. Once they're baked, slice in half along the length, scoop the potato meat into a mixing bowl, leaving the skins as untorn as possible.

Arrange the skins like open boats in a baking dish. Mix good things in with the potato meat, after mashing it with a bit of butter and milk or yogurt: add grated cheese, chopped parsley, diced onion, spices in addition to salt and pepper if you like those, maybe some crumbled bacon or diced ham. Heh. Sour cream.

Return to the hot oven and bake until the cheese in the stuffing melts, maybe 25 minutes.

Nom.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Shred them up with an onion and some zuccini. Add eggs, salt and pepper and a bit of flour. Fry glops of them in a pan.
Latkes.

Cut them into large pieces. Spray with olive oil. Sake pepper and a bit of salt over them. Bake until tender.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cut them into pieces no more than one inch in any direction.

In a bowl large enough to hold them, put 1 - 2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil, some garlic (or garlic powder), sea salt, and cracked pepper. If your meal wants some color, add parsley as well.

Toss the potato pieces in the oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet, skin side down. Roast in a preheated 325F oven for 30 minutes. Increase the heat to 425F (without removing the potatoes) and cook an additional 12 - 15 minutes, until the cut edges are browned but none are burned.

We have this quite often, and while baking potatoes aren't my favorite for this dish, they work. The skins can be a little tough and soggy, so if you have the energy, peeling them takes care of that.

Maryn, good cook

Pikko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pikkoshouse.com
Okay yeah, maybe chopping or skins is the way to go, cause I bought them for my husband, who had a high blood pressure/potassium deficiency scare last week and IIRC, I bought them because the potato skins have what he needs. I think if I bake them, he probably will just scoop and toss the skin. lol

Still, I was more asking what I should make the potatoes WITH! :D I guess I should have mentioned that I was going to go back to the market, so I needed to know what I should buy to cook. My kids have become addicted to using our tiny Weber to have little cookouts, so maybe grilled chicken?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Okay yeah, maybe chopping or skins is the way to go, cause I bought them for my husband, who had a high blood pressure/potassium deficiency scare last week and IIRC, I bought them because the potato skins have what he needs. I think if I bake them, he probably will just scoop and toss the skin. lol

Still, I was more asking what I should make the potatoes WITH! :D I guess I should have mentioned that I was going to go back to the market, so I needed to know what I should buy to cook. My kids have become addicted to using our tiny Weber to have little cookouts, so maybe grilled chicken?

What I would do is to make some kind of bolognese or chilli, and serve with a crisp green salad with a sharp dressing.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. vvvvVVVelveeeeetaaa!!!

*not meaning to be quite that enthusiastic, but my shift key is going wonky*

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Pork chops are great for the grill. You can just use salt and pepper or a pork rub and grill them up. Get some BBQ sauce and you're good to go. The potatoes would got great with them too.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

It may not be cheese, but by dang, it's Velveeta!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow you are BRILLIANT! Though we don't have velveeta so I'll have to make cheese sauce but mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pikko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pikkoshouse.com
Whenever I hear the word Velveeta I immediately get some kind of mental image of broccoli being completely ruined by oozing cheese. That had to have been a commercial in the 80s or 90s or something.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK,

Thanks a lot y'all...

Now I'm craving fried potatoes and onions. :flag:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Velveeta. No thanks. You all enjoy it where I don't have to see it, okay?

Maryn, kind of queasy today

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I use sour cream (simply kraft is the only tasty one of the 6 varieties available around here o_O ) and shredded sharp cheddar - not a fan of bacon or other meat in potatoes so I don't do that part. You can bake the potatoes, then cube them and melt the cheese over them, then let individuals add cold sour cream to taste, or you can cube the potatoes, mix with the cheese and sour cream (optionally add a few tablespoons of mayonnaise) then bake the whole thing (careful it doesn't burn though).

With potatoes I often serve sausage - kielbalsa if your stomach can take it (mine can't anymore T_T ) or chicken and apple sausage if you want to be healthy, or smoked turkey sausage is good too. Something green and leafy is also a good addition.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've just looked up 'Velveeta'. That's not right, guys. You can't tell me that's right.

It is not right. It is the opposite of right.

Not sure what you looked up, but did it say its delicious and it melts into a uniform creamy consistency that other cheeses do not?

So would my flip flop. Melting into a uniform consistency is not a blanket indication of edibility.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It is not right. It is the opposite of right.

So would my flip flop. Melting into a uniform consistency is not a blanket indication of edibility.

I wonder if people who criticize it have even tried it.

And I doubt seriously if your flip flop would melt at all and certainly not to any uniform consistency.

And my indication of edibility is taste. Sheesh. Really, people? If you've tried it and don't like it, fine. Don't go making shit up.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Although I rarely buy it I do have a sneaking fondness for Velveeta myself. Especially Velveeta grilled cheese sandwiches (must be white bread and buttered with real butter and fried til crispy, golden and all melty *swoon*) and my favourite, tuna, minced onion with mayo spread on bread topped with Velveeta and put under the broiler til everything is hot and the cheese is brown and bubbly.

Now I have a yen for Velveeta. :(

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I wonder if people who criticize it have even tried it.

And I doubt seriously if your flip flop would melt at all and certainly not to any uniform consistency.

And my indication of edibility is taste. Sheesh. Really, people? If you've tried it and don't like it, fine. Don't go making shit up.
I've been fed Velveeta several times. I think it fails to actually taste cheesy, so in my own cooking I use cheddar of one kind or another instead. I feel the same way about provolone which lacks smoke flavor - it fails at being tasty, so I don't use it. I don't really care if other people want to use velveeta in their homes, but I'd certainly be unimpressed if a restaurant did.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Mom raised us on Velveeta (my God, that word is in my auto complete dictionary) until Dad rebelled and we switched to 2 lb loaves of Tillamook cheddar. Thank you Dad!

The only thing it is good for is melting for cheese sauce. Roux with melted cheddar is much better.