What are you reading?

LKSebastian

Registered
Reaction score
The Secret History, Donna Tartt. Another thrift store find. (The previous one was good all the way through; it only flagged briefly once. Beautiful writing - No Great Mischief, Macleod.)

This is on my to-read list! It popped up on Buzz Feed's list of 65 Books You Need to Read in Your 20s.

I just started Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell and Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket). Both of them keep startling me because they're so unlike anything else I've read.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Middle River by Paul Thereoux.

I read Dark Star Safari a couple months ago, and I can see where this book is going.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Middle River by Paul Thereoux.

I read Dark Star Safari a couple months ago, and I can see where this book is going.

I enjoyed a lot of Theroux' early travel books, but I think his narrative voice has gotten increasingly bitter through the years. I've never been a big fan of his fiction. I'd be interested to hear what you think when you're finished.

DragonLady

I am Queen of all I see. Heed me!
Registered
Reaction score
And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie

I had to read that one while I was in high school. Most people in my class simply raved about it, but I couldn't wait until we finished the thing and could move on to the next book. It was too slow for me, sadly.

I just finished Ever After by Kim Harrison and The Rising by Kelley Armstrong.

I have several others that I'm reading, but I can't name them off the top of my head right now. Would help if I was at home and had them at hand.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
just finished The Color of Magic, and will probably buy another Pratchett book

currently working on putputt's story, and revising my own

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
just finished The Color of Magic, and will probably buy another Pratchett book

currently working on putputt's story, and revising my own

OooOo, did you just discover Pratchett? Oh man. OH MAN. Yew is in for a treat! Forget my book, pick up the Night Watch books NOW!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber. Got it because I had to get something to celebrate discovering the used bookstore (first one I've located since moving here, great store!)

So far it's keeping my interest.

U2Girl

I can sell you anything
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about half way through Storm of Swords. I don't know why I'm still surprised at how much I'm enjoying the series.

LKSebastian

Registered
Reaction score
I just started My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead a collection of short love stories through the ages, edited by Jeffrey Eugenides. Also, Madame Bovary, which I found at my favorite used book store for .50!

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
On my Kindle, I'm reading a book by Ellen Brown called Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind.

It's interesting how different the process was back then (in the mid '30s) to get a book published. Mitchell didn't have it finished, the chapters were all out of sync, she didn't even have a first chapter, and what she had written was only a first draft. A friend recommened the incomplete ms. to Macmillan publishers (where the friend worked), and all Mitchell sent were a few chapters that were out of order with a very brief storyline. And she was an unknown writer at the time. I'm sure the friend helping her a lot to do with it, but still....

I'm about 20% through the book and at the point in time where Gone With The Wind has just gone to press and Mitchell is exhausted from the all-nighters of trying to get the book in shape within seven months' time. Her husband and friends helped her with editing and retyping the 450,000 word novel.

IrishRover

uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɟ&#3
Registered
Reaction score
At the momment, it's 'The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson. It's a bit crazy and it's very funny, some great momments of black comedy. I've heard of comparisons with Mr magoo and Forrest Gump but I think that's being a bit dismissive. A fun read.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
'Mr Norris Changes Trains', Christopher Isherwood.

It was a gift from a friend, it's great, it reminds me of when I was a teenager during summer holidays when I'd get through a novel in a couple of days - probably because it's set between the wars, and when I was a teenager I worked my way through my dad's library, which was mainly George Orwell and Graham Greene.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sex At Dawn: How we mate, why we stray and what it means for modern relationships by Christopher Ryan.

Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
War - Sebastian Junger

'Mr Norris Changes Trains', Christopher Isherwood.

I really enjoyed it too, Isherwood had a great eye for showing character I think. Saying that, parts of it confused me a little. I lost the thread a bit in the party scene (but if you're going to lose the thread you might as well lose it at a party, right?) but still enjoyed the book as a whole.

I worked my way through my dad's library, which was mainly George Orwell and Graham Greene.

Sounds like your old man gave you a good start there. Unfortunately for me, my father's bookcase held books on chemical engineering and motor-racing.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Stumbled across one of my old Elric books . . . The Weird of the White Wolf. Think that will be my "why did I start this, I need to go to sleep" read tonight :)

But before I do, I've got a fresh pot of coffee to take care of.