Finally registered - long overdue hello!

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
Hello! I've been reading these forums for years, but only just now made an account. I may still lurk, but I'm going to try to be active. :hi:

I finished my first novel earlier this year and have since gone through the whole editing, polishing, beta reading, etc. process. Somehow, I've come through it all intact with a shiny novel to put out into the world. I JUST started querying agents last week and and mostly consumed by that process right now, though I'm trying to reign in all these crazy plot bunnies so I can figure out which one is mature enough to... breed a whole story from? Okay, this metaphor is getting out of control.

I'm a teen librarian [a librarian who specializes in serving teens] and enjoy YA fiction of all genres. I've been a sci-fi/fantasy girl since birth. As you can imagine, I mostly write YA SFF, though I occasionally try my hand at some contemporary. I'm very committed to diversity in literature and actively seek out diverse books to buy for my library at work and at home. I also write diverse books because... y'know, the world. #WeNeedDiverseBooks!

When not reading, writing, or librarianing, I can be found playing video games or tabletop games, singing awful songs to my dogs, or running around in the woods.

Glad to be here! Looking forward to getting to know you all. :D

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Have you considered using the experience of being a "teen librarian" (or, actually, a teen working in a library) in a story in some way? I can think of a number of ways that could be used as a starting point of a story (it doesn't have to be the way your job is in actuality).

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
I guess I should clarify that being a teen librarian means being a librarian who serves teens, not a teen who works in a library. I'm an adult, I swear. ;)

I'm the teen services coordinator for a medium-sized urban library, which is an awesome job in its own right, but it's also great research for writing teen characters. I definitely have some library-related story bits here and there, but nothing that's fully percolated in my brain yet. One day, though!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the watercooler. Stop by the Pub for a drink and some cookies. There was cake. But I may have eaten all of it. :welcome:

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
No problem Alleycat, a VERY common mix-up -- I should have known better!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. :D Better than the welcome in the pub...they hit me with a bedazzler. I'll never be the same again.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!