Hello, I am new

TroubleEntendre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

My name is April, and I'm currently in the Portland, OR area. I write really dark fantasy for adults, and plucky, optimistic superhero books for YA readers. I am the hospitality chairperson for the Cascade Writers convention in the Pacific Northwest, and currently run the Twitter account for that convention as well. If you went to Cascade this last year, you probably saw me running the game of Werewolf on opening night.

I'm currently looking for an agent, but they're very well hidden.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I would like to hear more about your YA Superhero books. They sound interesting. Do you have a Blog or website? Visit my Blog sometime

TroubleEntendre

Registered
Reaction score
Well the, superhero book is called Dreadnought, and is about a young transgender girl dealing with the problems of inheriting the powers of the world's greatest superhero. It's an unapologetic power fantasy for trans kids, who don't often get to see depictions of people they relate to being important and capable. It also turned out to be way more of a howl of outrage on behalf of my friends who are survivors of abusive households than I had intended it to be.

What kind of stuff do you write?

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Agents are masters of camouflage. I hear the best way to find one is to lure them out of hiding with a high quality query and book.

That said, welcome!

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
Hi April -- you need to get that YA superhero book published ASAP, because I NEED to read it! An LGBTQ+ superhero book would make me so happy. Have you read Hero by Perry Moore?

TroubleEntendre

Registered
Reaction score
No, I've actually only read maybe 3 superhero novels, two of which were novelizations of DC comics storylines. I'm sort of shocked it turned out as well as it did, given my lack of experience with superheroics in prose.

And I do want it published, but it's apparently a real hard sell right now, because no superhero book has ever really taken off the way publishers have hoped they would. We shall see.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the watercooler. Stop by the Pub for a drink and some cookies. There was cake. But I may have eaten all of it. :welcome:

AliceWrites

Writing jazz
Registered
Reaction score
Hi April.

Your writing sounds interesting. I love superheroes and comics. :)

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome April!

I was wondering about this:

...inheriting the powers of the world's greatest superhero.

Like a thinly veiled Superman? Marvel doesn't have such a single, emblematic figure, Spider-Man is maybe the most popular but not the most powerful.

And of course you could come up with something original and not a paean either.

But as said before, yeah a link - it sounds like a blast to read!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Harlequin's Australian eBook companion published Auralee Wallace's SIDEKICK, so you might give Harlequin a try. Also, I collect data on new stuff like this for my Blog at New Pulp Heroes http://newpulpheroes.blogspot.com As for myself, my stories are more along the line of masked pulp heroes - men and women, and they are tough characters (G). I also write SF, some western, some mystery, a lot of action and adventure stuff. I do like to read super hero stuff, and review a lot of books on my PULP DEN Blog http://pulplair.blogspot.com Check out my Blogs sometime.

TroubleEntendre

Registered
Reaction score
Like a thinly veiled Superman?

To the extent that any flying brick is a derivation of Superman, yes. I tried hard to make Dreadnought her own thing, though.

Also, I try to keep her relative power levels lower than Superman's, mainly because I want her girlfriend (cowgirl Batman, basically) to be able to keep up with her, or at least not be so outstripped she's made redundant.

She can win a fight that Superman wouldn't have much trouble with, at the cost of getting pretty badly beat up herself. Bullets don't kill her, but they hurt. What makes Dreadnought "the greatest" is that few other capes can match her mix of speed, power, and durability, which means that while she's often facing someone who can do something better than she can, but she's got a few edges of her own in different areas.

EDIT: Also, thank you for the lovely welcome, everyone!

Side224

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds an amazing idea! Hope it works out well.