Hybrid Hurricane/ Winter Storm

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
Well, we seem to be in the calm before the storm here in southeast VA. At least a little bit inland. I've heard Norfolk/Virginia Beach are already seeing the surge pick up. I don't know when the winds will really get here, but I imagine they'll probably kick in some time tonight. Odds are, we'll lose electricity some time between and noon tomorrow. It'll be a miracle if we don't.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
In metro Boston, the wind is blowing and it's raining. Who knows what the morning will bring. It's still supposed to reach its peak between 11am and noon.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
They cancelled everything here in CT. Schools, businesses, you name it. We've got power trucks from Canada and Kansas roaming around. They're talking about 10-14 feet storm surges. I'm going to work from home until my power goes. I'm all set: batteries, gas, food, wine & chocolate! Stay safe everyone!

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Steady rain here in Southern Maryland.

So now I sit here at my bill paying job at the local electric cooperative, waiting for the flood of calls to come about people not having power. And I work in the Fleet Maintenance department!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Steady rain here in Southern Maryland.

So now I sit here at my bill paying job at the local electric cooperative, waiting for the flood of calls to come about people not having power. And I work in the Fleet Maintenance department!

It occurs to me that this would be a great opening for a book...

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Rain, wind, the water is very choppy, but hasn't surged yet. We've already got a few trees down around town and my husband went to work. He took a long coastal drive down to a town that should get hit harder than where we live, and reports that everyone's there. It's not an essential business, but they're working on a big project. I'm already worried sick about his drive home, whenever that may be.

Called to arrange my paratransportation for tomorrow and as I suspected, they're recommending rescheduling any appointments you can, because there will be delays. Waited for this appointment for months, and if I don't keep it, I have to reschedule several others and possibly delay surgery. At least I still have phone service.

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
Here in Central Jersey - in the middle of the Jersey kidney - closer to Philly than NYC - woke to power. Tonight and through the night will be the real test.

***EDIT - missed the horse mentions - we own a horse; he's a bit freaked out. What can you expect from an Arabian?! :) But he'll be fine; shee-oot, I wish I had a college dorm as nice as that stall he craps in! HA! Now the incontinent cat we keep outside, she's prolly gonna get wet!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Checking in from the Jersey Shore.

We still have power which surprises me. But it really hasn't hit its full stride yet. That'll be this evening.

Nature is right now just doing a bit of cleaning: a few large dead branches from the oak trees are now down. I'm glad because I was afraid they'd fall on someone's head while walking under them. And we had the trees trimmed just last year.

The leaves are tucked under bushes so they'll stay there for the winter to keep the roots nice and cozy.

Tonight the weather people are now saying the coast will be getting gusts of up to 100 mph.

Ugh.

I understand the ocean is now over the boardwalk in some sections. I can't see it since we're on a curve. And we're far in enough.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Keep safe all who are in the path of the storm.
We in Australia just got an update, this NEVER happens unless it's something huge.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
We don't have horses, but my dog has been acting really weird since yesterday. Very barky and almost nonstop.

Right now it's very windy, and although the rain is steady, it isn't torrential. Think I'll just stay inside, with the covers pulled over my head, until Wednesday.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking that no-one is planning to go out wading through the middle of it all, taking photos. Someone always does that and it makes me so cross. Stay inside, be sensible. Knit, or something.
Take care.

Last edited:

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
@Jersey Chick: When I called my parents yesterday, my mom said the cats have not left her alone since the storm clouds started rolling in. They know something's coming. I feel bad. The kitties get so scared when it storms. >.<

Oh, by the way, we haven't lost power yet down here in inland southeast VA. In my home area (the Northern Neck peninsula), there's already about 1100 people out of power, but the brunt of the storm has not arrived yet. I think the forecast said we'd start seeing the winds really pick up at about noon.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm off the hook. The boss told me not to risk commuting if the storm keeps building, the transit authority announced they could shut down service without notice and are only running it to let emergency personnel get to their stations/workplaces, and I have been informed that the deadline for my vital task is pushed back till tomorrow. Yay! Because the wind is building and the rain, though still misty, is being visibly driven pretty much horizontal.

Mura is safe at home with her WIP.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
First, I watched my neighbors put out their garbage cans. Two minutes later, I watched my neighbor's sons chase all the garbage that was blowing down the street, put it back in the cans, and drag them back up the driveway.

What were they thinking?

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
We don't have horses, but my dog has been acting really weird since yesterday. Very barky and almost nonstop.

Right now it's very windy, and although the rain is steady, it isn't torrential. Think I'll just stay inside, with the covers pulled over my head, until Wednesday.
My dogs are acting weird, too. Antsy as all get out. They were like that yesterday, as well. They're smart and know when something's up, in the air so to speak.

Same w/ the wind, here at the moment and drizzly. Now and then it gets rather gusty. So far, 7k have lost power.

Checking in from the Jersey Shore.

We still have power which surprises me. But it really hasn't hit its full stride yet. That'll be this evening.

Nature is right now just doing a bit of cleaning: a few large dead branches from the oak trees are now down. I'm glad because I was afraid they'd fall on someone's head while walking under them. And we had the trees trimmed just last year.

The leaves are tucked under bushes so they'll stay there for the winter to keep the roots nice and cozy.

Tonight the weather people are now saying the coast will be getting gusts of up to 100 mph.

Ugh.

I understand the ocean is now over the boardwalk in some sections. I can't see it since we're on a curve. And we're far in enough.
My leaves are all blowing in what I consider the correct direction; a lovely gas/time saver. They're going off the property into the woods and some are gathering around bushes that need them during the winter-smart leaves.

I've heard that some areas are under water, a couple of streets in low lying areas, so the 1st high tide was a trouble maker and the 2nd one is going to be worse. That one will be around noon, and another tonight. That's the problem, no time for the water to recede.

They're concerned about a electrical substation in Stamford, near the water, which if knocked out will shut the power down for a very long time. So, one has to wonder why it was built so closely to the water? Crews are quickly building a dyke around it. Hope it works.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Not too bad here yet. Wind's howling, but it's not super strong yet, gusting up to I'd say 30 mph or so. Glad I have the day off. God forbid we close the store just because we'll be risking our lives commuting in the face of a hurricane, or anything...:rolleyes:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As I left for work the news coverage was a journo in full wet weather gear standing knee deep in ocean waves.

Dumbass.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Here in Boston, the Mass Bay transportation is shut down after 2pm. All buses and trains/subways won't be running.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
We have 2 feral cats we feed, both showed up early last night and we fed them extra. I made a little opening in the garage door and we put extra boxes of kitty litter in there for them and old rugs for them to sleep on. Woke up this morning and they are in the garage sleeping. I would let them in the house but I don't want the house cats getting into trouble with the feral cats, or catching anything from them.

Right now the winds here just outside of DC in Northern Virginia are starting to pick up and the drizzle has turned into a steady soft rain. The banks are closing at 12 noon, and there is very few cars on the roads around me for a Monday. Of course, whenever they shut the federal government, the roads are less jammed.

Our latest forecast is still calling for 4-8 inches of rain, and wind gust of 60 miles per hour after sunset through sunrise tomorrow. We could also wake up to a couple inches of snow in the morning. Further to the west and north they are calling for 1-2 feet of snow in the mountains.

I suspect we will lose power sometime tonight, and we are prepared. Cell phone is on the charger, lap top is fully charged and I have wireless Internet connection, (Cricket). I suspect I will lose my TV satellite connection before the power goes, so the lap top is a must have to keep up with what is going on. Hell, I even have my Kindle fire all charged so my GF and I can watch a video from under our fluffy comforter if need be.

I am seeing pictures from Rehoboth Beach, De and they are getting pounded pretty good right now. Lots of beach erosion. In another report from Ocean City Maryland, a off shore buoy, is reporting waves of 40 feet. Hope there are no shrimpers or fishing boats out there...

A lot of people in the OC area are comparing this storm to the one that hit OC in 1962. During that storm, a lot of the horses on Assateague died of hypothermia. I hope that does not happen this time...

The Perfect Storm indeed and from what I read, we can expect more of these types of storms as the climate changes take place. Still, that does not stop me from wanting to live at or near the beaches.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Cable is going on and off, so don't know how much longer I'll be able to post.

I was watching tv, and some people have not a clue. There are people here who never witnessed the severity of storms that can hit the coast. They leave their lawn chairs out, think nothing of piling their leaves at the curb (which then clog the sewer lines), wander down to the boardwalk while the ocean is grabbing at the pilings underneath, and --here's the kicker--one guy said that after this first surge, things will get better. Huh?! The eye of the storm is still about two hundred miles away and coming on shore.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If or when you lot do lose power, just know that AW is going to be holding its thumbs for you, and waiting to hear that you're safely back here, with everything settled and calm.

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
Not the worst casualty, but a loss none the less. The HMS Bounty sank. Thankfully, all of the crew members were rescued.http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/...ople-In-Lifeboats-Off-NC-Coast-176228331.html

Another cancelation/closing (in case you're coming to AW for your updates lol) CT has closed all highways as of 1pm monday. I've seen bridges close in wind, but in all my years I've never seen a Governor close the highways.

Stay safe people!

Edit: Article just updated, 2 of the crew members are missing. Thoughts go out to them, their families and the people searching for them.

Last edited: