The Walking Dead - AMC

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I hope we get a flashback showing how Merle survived. F'r instance, did he take the van? (I.e., in Season 1, when Rick, Daryl, T-Dog & Glenn went to try and rescue Merle, they took a van from the quarry to the outskirts of downtown. When they came back, though, the van was gone.)

I hope for a flashback too.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Andrea is such a useless character. And Michonne is pretty ridiculous --I mean, a little better now that she doesn't have the pet zombies anymore, but still. I didn't like that they spent the whole episode on them, rather than showing us what was going on at the jail.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I didn't quite understand why the Gov killed the soldiers. Soldiers are trained to follow orders; these only had a lieutenent. They would have jumped at the chance to do whatever the Gov told them to do. It seems like they would have made excellent additions to Woodbury.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I didn't quite understand why the Gov killed the soldiers. Soldiers are trained to follow orders; these only had a lieutenent. They would have jumped at the chance to do whatever the Gov told them to do. It seems like they would have made excellent additions to Woodbury.
It would seem he's rather a self-appointed Governor, so I'm not so sure those those soldiers' experience and physical power would not have been a threat to his little set up in Woodbury.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
It would seem he's rather a self-appointed Governor, so I'm not so sure those those soldiers' experience and physical power would not have been a threat to his little set up in Woodbury.
That's the way I saw it. He won't accept any potential challenge to his authority.

I like the way they've cast him as a somewhat charismatic, relatively clean-cut looking politician; the Governor in the comic looked like a meth dealer.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. By this point they are probably more loayal to each other than to anyone else and they have no reason at all to accept the "Governors" authority. He's a civilian and the last status was probably "martial law". I'm pretty sure they would have seized power over the community.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. By this point they are probably more loayal to each other than to anyone else and they have no reason at all to accept the "Governors" authority. He's a civilian and the last status was probably "martial law". I'm pretty sure they would have seized power over the community.
THere were like six of them and they were portrayed as so inept they didn't even fire I shot. But I guess your theory is as sound as any other.

I still think it makes no sense. On the face of it, anyone would want to join Woodbury--that's what makes it so sinister--"we" (the audience) know there is more to it than it seems. But by the time the soldiers found out they would have been integrated into the community ("tea-ed", if you will). I mean the Gov being an evil meglomaniac would want to amass power right? Sorry, the benefits of recruiting the soldiers still seems to far outweigh the risks, imo. Captains, Majors, Colonels and Generals might have tried to seize command, but, as I stated, soldiers are trained to follow orders.

I think the writers did it to portray the Gov as evil--however, it comes across as not "smart" evil but "stupid" evil.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Andrea is such a useless character. And Michonne is pretty ridiculous --I mean, a little better now that she doesn't have the pet zombies anymore, but still. I didn't like that they spent the whole episode on them, rather than showing us what was going on at the jail.

Really? I didn't miss the people at the jail at all. I thought this episode was the best so far this season.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I didn't miss the people at the jail at all. I thought this episode was the best so far this season.

Have you read the comics? I think most of the people who like Andrea/Michonne are people who have read the comics (I haven't), where --I'm told-- they're both pretty awesome characters.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
but, as I stated, soldiers are trained to follow orders.
But not anyones orders. Why on earth should they listen to this so called governor? Under martial law the military is the authority. They would listen to the highest ranking soldier in their group.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to watch a few epps of this, but I'm such a sook and my imagination works overtime.

I watched 2 epps back to back, the for days imagined zombies hissing at me trying to eat me alive, rip out my organs and feed on my flesh.
It was very traumatising lol.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
But not anyones orders. Why on earth should they listen to this so called governor? Under martial law the military is the authority. They would listen to the highest ranking soldier in their group.
So, wait. The soldiers were evil then? Because why wouldn't they want to join Woodbury? It's safe and clean and their base had just been overrun with walkers/biters and as far as they knew all their comrades were dead. Even if most of them opted to carry on themselves with the army (and, again, why would they?) one or two would probably have opted to settle down in Woodbury.

Again, cost analysis. The Gov could even have arranged to kill any of the soldiers who didn't want to follow him afterward and still earned one or two new recruits.
I rather enjoyed the change of focus myself. And I love Michone. And I don't dislike Andrea.
Have you read the comics? I think most of the people who like Andrea/Michonne are people who have read the comics (I haven't), where --I'm told-- they're both pretty awesome characters.
I have never even seen the comics.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Again, cost analysis. The Gov could even have arranged to kill any of the soldiers who didn't want to follow him afterward and still earned one or two new recruits.
But why would he want any of them? He's the big fish in the pond of his choosing. He's handpicked his town's population and it looks as if he has enough henchmen. The Devil he knows is the Devil he's made. As for the soldiers, all he wanted was their stuff.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
You also have to keep in mind that he's probably not anticipating the soldiers liking the idea of giving their weapons away, which they most assuredly would have had to do if the governor was going to even entertain the idea of recruiting them.

But I'm with Perks, if I'm a cold bastard like the governor, I don't see any real advantage to recruiting a bunch of military-trained soldiers who might be better at killing (if given the chance) than the makeshift militia that's protecting my throne town.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
So, wait. The soldiers were evil then? Because why wouldn't they want to join Woodbury? It's safe and clean and their base had just been overrun with walkers/biters and as far as they knew all their comrades were dead. Even if most of them opted to carry on themselves with the army (and, again, why would they?) one or two would probably have opted to settle down in Woodbury.
That's not what I meant. Of course they would like to stay in Woodbury, but not under a random civilians authority. I'm pretty sure they would just take over the city, because during martial law the highest ranking officer makes the laws. The "governor" could follow their orders or be killed. Og course he doesn't want them in his town. They outrank him, both on paper and in practise.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Also, after the Governor and his men killed the soldiers, when they showed up back in Woodbury (with a truck, humvee and weapons and gear), the Governor made a little speech about how "They didn't have our walls, and so the biters got to them before we could." That reinforces (for the townspeople) the idea that Woodbury is the only safe place, and they'd do best to stay in line.

ETA: "Biters" is actually a better term than "walkers". I love how, since the word "zombie" doesn't exist in the popular culture of the "Walking Dead" world, each little group has its own name for the corpses that keep moving around.

ETA some more: I thought Merle didn't look any too happy with what they were doing (killing the group of soldiers). He's loyal to the Governor, but he's also ex-military, and, as Daryl said, "the toughest sonofabitch I ever met." If he decides to go against the Governor, things might get ugly.

Last edited: