Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASC McLaren

Intended for mature audiences
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it can. It's not like taking a clump of dirt that wants to crumble into smaller particulates. Or a piece of chalk - or even glass - that you can mortar and pestle into oblivion.

You can create metal shavings, easy. But powdering it? Think how small and particulate a powder has to be. How *fine* it is, even a coarse powder. Turning already fashioned metal into that?

That's a whole other thing.

How fine does it need to be? We have issues with Al, Ti and Fe being used on the same belt sander. Between the disc and belt sander and the Al drilling we have Aluminum chips and dust everywhere.

ASC McLaren

Registered
Reaction score
We don't get it that fine. The finest we get is like sand. But, due to some iron residue on a belt sander that was grinding aluminum, we had a flashy, hot surprise two weeks ago.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Almost anything will combust if powdered fine enough. Take corn, wheat, flour, or virtually any product which can be ground up to a fine powder. There are reasons you do NOT smoke in grain elevators. Aluminum will burn if it gets hot enough (I've seen pics of an aluminum hull destroyer burned virtually to the waterline after a catastrophic fire inboard).

Common glycerine has some interesting properties when combined with certain metal powders as does hydrogen peroxide. Both are essentially accelerants that liberate oxygen from certain normally non-combustible items.

As a kid I used to play around tons of pelletized ammonium nitrate on farms. I didn't learn until many years later what interesting properties it has when ground to a powder and combined with certain liquid fuels.

Even something as simple as Palmolive liquid soap is interesting when combined with liquid fuels.

Then, of course, there's sodium metals, magnesium, etc.

I've even seen concrete burn (of course it was under enormous pressure at the time (18 thousand lbs concentrated on a single pointed corner of a machine being moved).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Is it good or bad when you can't put down your own book? I mean, it's been "resting" for about two months, and I've been plowing through it like it's the latest thing from Seanan McGuire (my favorite urban fantasy author). Pretty well plotted, if I do say so myself. At least I think so. But I can't tell if it's the Golden Word Syndrome talking, or if it I actually wrote a really good book.

I do have a couple of betas lined up, so maybe they'll put me straight. Still--this is fun. I really like this story.

And how are the rest of the Hounds tonight?

ASC McLaren

Registered
Reaction score
OH F#@%! This is not horror, but I just saw a add for A Memory of Light. I actually have goose bumps.

ASC McLaren

Registered
Reaction score
Just a month ago, I felt all kinds of writer energy. Now I sit down to write and get a headache. And then while I'm at work I can't wait to get home to so I can get some stuff written. I can't imagine why I'm like I am.

For me it was the last bullshit write up at work. I have just began to take up in interest in any of my activities (writing, Mustangs, models, etc.). Are you depressed?

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Writing is a pita in my world off and on lately - craziness abounds and when things finally settle down, my brain has all the consistency of soup, some days a nice, thick chowder, but other days more like chicken broth.

I started a SIP - synopsis in progress - that kind of helps. When I want to write but my brain is best contained in a bowl, I go back to what I have written and handwrite a summary of it, chapter by chapter. Helps ease my head back into the story and where it's going without trying to make it go. :Shrug:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes the squirrel's brain with a stick*

More like jello...

Y'know, if you guys are in need of inspiration, or - well, more prodding or whatever, there is always the prompts. Or the challenges, or whatever. Don't make me get out the list.

:popcorn:

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
*pokes the squirrel's brain with a stick*

More like jello...

JELLO!!!

*shakes head*

Ooo, yeah, that'd be it today.

:e2thud:

Y'know, if you guys are in need of inspiration, or - well, more prodding or whatever, there is always the prompts. Or the challenges, or whatever. Don't make me get out the list.

:popcorn:

And it's a good list, a very nice list. My problem is getting the ol' word machine to produce better sentences than "I like cheese." That's been the problem lately - I start to crash at like 8:30, try to stay up till hubs gets home from work, and end up unconcious by 9.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
My problem is getting the ol' word machine to produce better sentences than "I like cheese." That's been the problem lately - I start to crash at like 8:30, try to stay up till hubs gets home from work, and end up unconcious by 9.

Ah. Okay - there are some techniques to get over that.

First open a word document of your choice and mark positions - like, every two pages - with breaks. You have to fill these with wordage. If that doesn't jog the brain into creativity, then you can try the snokwflake method to produce something worthwhile when you really would be doing something else.

Or take a break. Taking a break isn't bad, and it isn't something people should be massively self-conscious of (whatever is said in Basic Writing Questions).

Give yourself time, and the words will appear. Trust that the bit in your brain which is putting things together is still doing so while you aren't conscious of it. :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
It is safe to come out now, guys.

Guys?

Where are you all hiding. C'mon.

Not cool, leaving me in the dark all by myself. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.