Typical Word Count for Humor Books... please? :)

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had any luck getting a response in the Humor section, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

I'm looking for typical word counts on humor books. Not funny novels, but straight up humor books. Essays, satire, faux-manuals, etc.

I know there are likely no strict guidelines, but I wonder what the range might be that would cause a humor book to be immediately dismissed by the agent - no matter how hilarious the premise and no matter how well-written the work. 20,000? 200,000?

What do you think?

Also, does anyone know of a website where you can find word counts to published books? I thought I saw something like it a long time ago, but my best google tricks aren't yielding any good results.

Thanks for your time!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Best I can offer is that you search Amazon for similar books to the one you are writing. Page counts are listed. Concordances list word counts too, but aren't available on every book.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

What type of humor book? A little gift type book? That could have a fairly low word count.

The average length for non-fiction is 50-100K. Which gives you a lot of leaway. But a little gifty book could go lower.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses!

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

What type of humor book? A little gift type book? That could have a fairly low word count.

The average length for non-fiction is 50-100K. Which gives you a lot of leaway. But a little gifty book could go lower.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I have a couple of humor projects I am working on, so I am very curious to know the high and low end of the range. The project that I am most worried about, however, is one that I feel will be too short for the likings of agents and big publishers. Naturally, it's also the one that I like the most.

It's a little guidebook for a fictitious scenario (this isn't it... but similar to a field guide for surviving the robot uprising. That type of thing.) I've written about 15,000 words of it. I have a feeling the joke will run it's course by 25,000 words or so. Anything more than that would just become filler and repetitive.

But pitching a 25,000 word humor book to an agent seems like a tough sell. I wonder if the project should be scraped (or converted into something else - like a website.)

Is there a market for 25k humor books?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Little gifty books do sell. And some agents hanadle them. If you can market this as a little gifty book, it might do okay.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal