Two questions.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
The first one has probably already been asked (I apologize but I couldn't find it.) From what I've gathered on this site it seems the normal time for giving an agent with a full is 6 months. Once 6 months is coming up though what is the "correct" way for a nudge? Just sending a quick email to see how they are liking it?

Second question, I've been thinking of jumping careers and becoming a literary agent. Now I know this won't happen over night and because of my current career I don't want to just quit my job and try to make it. I'm googling agencies near me, and I plan to contact them. But my question is, is it normal for agencies to give paid internships? For those that are agents what's the normal progression to becoming an agent? Again, I don't plan to become an agent over night, or in a month, I expect it to take a couple years, but I was hoping people here could give me some information.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
An email nudge is standard (reply to the original request for the MS with a nudge to keep the chain of request in tact and make it easy on the agent to see he/she really did make a given request.)

Internships are unpaid.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
For the nudge, I always send, "I was checking in to see if you've had a chance to read AWESOME NOVEL, which I sent to you on Date. I look forward to hearing from you again.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Everything I've seen regarding nudges on fulls says 3 months or so is standard. As stated above, e-mail's the way to go.

All agency internships will be unpaid; the upside is that many of them are also remote (as in, you don't have to move to take them).

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Playground, you might be interested in the post Bookends did today on internships.

Very interesting read! Thanks everyone for your help. I plan to look up some close agencies that I can possibly work for as a filer or whatever or do an unpaid internship (not sure if they'll do that for someone already with a degree.) Is there a website anyone knows of I could use to search by cities maybe?