Has anybody who's sold their audio-rights give me some perspective?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Did your publisher ever sell your audio rights? If so, were the sales good, did you get input on the voices used to narrate? What do you think about audio sales? Are they comparable to your e-book or print book sales? Of course every genre is different, and I wrote a New Adult Contemporary Romance. Are audio sales of books on the up, especially with the rise of companies like Audible? I understand they also buy audio books from other audio pubs.

My publisher, Harlequin Carina Press, has just sold the worldwide English and library audio rights to my debut novel, to Tantor Media. I understand they are well-respected, with publishers like Penguin having sold rights to their books to them.

Of course, I am doing a little happy dance as I never thought my little book would get picked up for audio, but this is new territory for me and I'm wondering if anybody can share their experiences of the audio book world? Did it impact your sales or lead to more visibility? I have to confess I cannot wait to hear my book being read. Very excited!

Thanks for sharing!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Authors don't usually get any approval over who narrates the audio versions of their books: it would have to be included in your contract and if your agent has already done the deal for you it's probably too late to sort this out now.

There's quite a big market in audio books, but they don't usually match the sales of print or e-books. They do make a valuable contribution to royalties, though. They're great if you have multiple books published, as if one does well you're more likely to sell audio rights to further books.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I had an audiobook put out through Carina. I really wasn't very involved in the process at all. They told me they were doing it, they did it, I got a bit of money. That was it.

One of my other publishers, Dreamspinner, has asked my opinions of various narrators - they send me clips of the people reading a section of my book and I chose the one that I think suits the mood best. I like it that they include me, I guess, but I actually find it a bit nerve-wracking! I don't KNOW which one is best!!!

And I can't remember which publisher it was with, but I've been contacted by someone checking on the pronunciation of a word - and I can't remember the word, either, but it was something with two possible pronunciations and I guess there was some debate about which I'd wanted. That was kind of fun.

Mostly, though, I just sat back. Out of my hands.

(And, just as an aside - I found I could not STAND hearing my books read aloud. I absolutely hate it. I can make it MAYBE two minutes in and then my skin just starts crawling. No idea why, but it's horrible.)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Old Hack and Captcha!
I've since found out that I have no input on the actors doing the voices, but I'm totally fine with that! From what Captcha says it would be nerve-wracking. I'm really looking forward to hearing my book and I do hope I don't have the same reaction as you, Captcha! Then again, I have a certain idea of what my hero and heroine sound like. And as for sales, thanks for the perspective. Anything, even small, that can add to those elusive royalties has to be a good thing!
Thanks for the input.