Rejectomancy

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R, pangalctic. Two stories that I really like are just about to run out of markets, and it really makes me sad:cry:, (and makes me wonder whether I have any taste at all or not). It's so much more painful when you get an R for a story you like. Hope your story finds a good home soon!

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Finally received my R from Pedestal -- about time!

defcon, I've really been wondering. I'm one of the people who got an R from Pedestal, but it hasn't been made official yet (I'm at 27 days). I notice on Duotrope that Pedestal sends out almost all its Rs at very close to 60 days. Why the wait, I wonder. And why almost always 60 days, give or take a few days? They must have some kind of interesting system in place....

Last edited:

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the R's defcon and pangalactic. I finally got my Pedestal R, too. Along with a form from Clarkesworld.

Pan, I feel your pain. I'm just about to run out of markets for a story, too. And it's one of my favorites. I think it just goes to show how subjective this industry is. Your story is probably fine, just needs to hit the right market at the right time. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Hugs for all the R's. :e2grouphu

defcon, I've really been wondering. I'm one of the people who got an R from Pedestal, but it hasn't been made official yet (I'm at 27 days). I notice on Duotrope that Pedestal sends out almost all its Rs at very close to 60 days. Why the wait, I wonder. And why almost always 60 days, give or take a few days? They must have some kind of interesting system in place....
I wonder that, too. I have a few theories on this, which I mentioned/vented up thread. Last rejection I received from them was at 40 days, but that was two weeks after the issue was published. This time it's only one week.

Hopefully you'll receive your (official) R soon.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, defcon. Yep, I submitted right before the deadline because I thought I'd at least have a quick response :rant:.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Since new year: form Rs from Pedestal, Glimmer Train, Bete Noire and DSF

One from Apex and Abyss too, not sure if form or not? It said "your story was well received here but we've decided not to publish it." Any ideas?

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I finally got an email! :D

It was the wrong kind! lol

R from Wily Writer, first time i could post here though hehe

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Sorry about the R, pangalctic. Two stories that I really like are just about to run out of markets, and it really makes me sad:cry:, (and makes me wonder whether I have any taste at all or not). It's so much more painful when you get an R for a story you like. Hope your story finds a good home soon!

Yeah, it's pretty disheartening. An editor friend has looked it over and it apparently brought her to tears (in a good way, not in an awful, tear-inducing writing way), so it's obviously good (if I do say so myself), just nobody will buy it. It's a shame said friend isn't in the business of short fiction really *wry smile*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I finally got an email! :D

It was the wrong kind! lol

R from Wily Writer, first time i could post here though hehe
THat's the way to look at it :)

:Hug2: and :e2grouphu for all you rejectioneers. I'm sitting on crickets, myself. They're getting louder by the hour.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for everybody! Looks like the new year kicked a lot of editors into high gear.

Does anybody who's subbed with the new system at Apex know if you get a e-mail when they read your story, like the old one?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Clarkesworld and Lifted Brow rejections. That makes three for the new year.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I think that's their standard form. At least that's all I've ever received from them (though often with a line or two of personalized comments).
I've never received that form, usually it's "Thank you for submitting X but we've decided not to publish it."

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never received that form, usually it's "Thank you for submitting X but we've decided not to publish it."

Do you submit flash or short stories there? All of my subs were flash, and from what I understand its a different editor.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I have severe cricket jitters atm. Responses have been going out left, right and center for markets i'm subbed to, all around the time period i've been subbed. Teh nervous!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*smooshes Izz's crickets* :D

Got an R from One Buck Horror. Hmm, methinks this story may not sell pro, I might go down a notch.

Do you submit flash or short stories there? All of my subs were flash, and from what I understand its a different editor.
I only submit flash to them since they only pay for the first 1,500 words.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eeep, One Buck Horror is sending out replies again? I'm at 35 days there on a story that got a rewrite request. Haven't seen anything from them on Duotrope recently but looks like they're clearing the slush pile over the last 2 days, so perhaps soon...

Got a super-fast 10 day personal R from Ideomancer today. They enjoyed the story but felt it was "it's more pure humor than we usually go for"

I have no idea what to do with this story next. Where do I send a humor/SF 450-word piece? So far it made it to round 2 of DSF and got quick Rs from Brain Harvest and Ideomancer. I wonder if Izz might consider it for C&C. Hmm...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*smooshes Izz's crickets* :D
Heh--thanks. Unfortunately, sacrificing those crickets doesn't appear to have got me any responses. Perhaps we need to smoosh more!
I only submit flash to them since they only pay for the first 1,500 words.
A $75 flat rate isn't bad though, at least for anything up to 7,500 words.

Got a super-fast 10 day personal R from Ideomancer today. They enjoyed the story but felt it was "it's more pure humor than we usually go for"
Ideomancer is one of the places i should be hearing back from soon.

On a side note: my slush pile seems to be filling up quicker than previously. :)

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Tried out Scout & Engineer, a semi-pro fledgling print and electronic market. Form-R, but I was impressed with their response time!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: and here, i think, is the link: Scout & Engineer Submission Guidelines
Just to clarify, they are open to all genres. In fact, the piece I sent was a fantasy I felt, at least loosely, qualified. They only recently started popping up on my duotrope listing. Here's what they wrote on their description:

"[We want] Those stories that work as philosophical page-plays and pure luxuries for bookheads? That reveal practiced ideological gardening that goes beyond ever-trendy jabs at human volition and structure? Those are the stories S&E will proudly host."

Combined with their guidelines, it's such a unique, highly specific, list of themes and restrictions. It makes me curious about their origin and purpose.

Last edited:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Just to clarify, they are open to all genres. In fact, the piece I sent was a fantasy I felt, at least loosely, qualified. They only recently started popping up on my duotrope listing. Here's what they wrote on their description:

"[We want] Those stories that work as philosophical page-plays and pure luxuries for bookheads? That reveal practiced ideological gardening that goes beyond ever-trendy jabs at human volition and structure? Those are the stories S&E will proudly host."

Combined with their guidelines, it's such a unique, highly specific, list of themes and restrictions. It makes me curious about their origin and purpose.

I confess, I read that description on Duotrope and had absolutely zero clue what they wanted. Maybe that makes me dense. But I just put them on my mental "skip over these folks" list. Maybe once there are a couple of sample issues (I assume there aren't any yet?) to review I'd be able to get a better sense of what they want.