How far do you distance yourself from your pen name?

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to publish under a pen name & I guess I'm just confused about how that works. I know I want some semblance of anonymity from the general public, but I'd also like to be able to say "Hey Facebook friends! Look what I made!" {by Facebook Friends i mean one step above the general public. acquaintances.}

But when I say "it's under the pen name Blah Blah" well, there goes my cloak of invisibility. i guess my question is: if you adopt a pen name, do you keep it a deep dark secret? am I about to become Clark Kent?

(I'd just like to point out that this analogy makes my husband Lois Lane :roll: )

am i making any sense? :Shrug:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How far you distance yourself from your own pseudonym is entirely up to you.

Just don't assume that working to keep it fully separate is going to work: I've seen so many writers get linked to their pen names in all sorts of unexpected ways. It's no protection.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
My pen name isn't any big secret, but I don't post it on places I've joined under my real name, like Facebook. I don't particularly need people I went to school with 10+ years ago and haven't talked to since (which describes a good number of my Facebook friends) to know about my writing. Maybe one day I'll put it there, but not for now...

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
I keep them as separate as possible, but people who I wanted to tell know who I am and what I write. Like the other posters said, it won't work for the determined "stalker" but you can control simple access/links to your real-life persona without too much trouble.