unpublished subs & timing

Ditherer

Ditherer
Registered
Reaction score
I've just received a contract from a small press for my full length poetry book and I'm stalling on returning it. One of the reasons I'm stalling is that I have lots of individual poems out to lit mags, as usual, as well as in two contests. One of these contests will announce a winner in just 3 weeks, On the very very slim chance that one of my poems might get some recognition, can I delay returning the contract that long? Is the contest poem "unpublished" until I sign the contract or until the book physically appears? That would apply also, I suppose, to the lit mag submissions, or should I withdraw them right away?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You might be best off talking to the publisher about your concerns.

Who is it, by the way?

Ditherer

Ditherer
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Old Hack -- Yes, I think you're right. I've already suggested a cover image to the publisher that isn't like what they seem to favor, and the response was very positive.

It's Anaphora Literary. And the main reason I'm "dithering" is that press's borderline status between traditional and subsidy; I've read all the threads about that in AW and P&E and ultimately I'll have to decide on the basis of my own goals, I think. Earlier this summer I turned down an offer from a small press with no book purchase requirement because they had practically no distribution mechanism and offered no or few services. So all this is making me a little anxious.

BTW, I am VERY grateful for AW and P&E and all the time you folks have taken to help each other. No matter what decision I make, I'll feel that it's an informed one.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's Anaphora Literary.

This Anaphora Literary?

There are so many red warning-flags in that thread that it's like a reel of bunting.

And the main reason I'm "dithering" is that press's borderline status between traditional and subsidy;

There is no "borderline status" between trade publishing and subsidy. If a publisher asks its writers to contribute to any part of their publication, the publisher is a vanity press. Good publishers do not require their writers to buy their own books. And good publishers understand that copyright and publishing rights are not the same thing.

Please be careful.