Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #101
kibou
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

kibou is on a distinguished road
I definitely cast, but like many have said, it has to be someone I don't know. There is no way I could cast famous people.
I have an idea in my head, say race/hair colour/age, and then I have to find a picture that looks similar to what I'm envisaging. This can take some time!
When I write, the characters act out the scene in my head (much like a film), so I need to be able to visualise them. I often seek out visual representations of clothing, locations etc etc.
I find unless I have a face and a name (I can spend days looking for the right name), I cannot get them to act in my head. Personalities, mannerisms and voices come from this acting, so that isn't picture specific.
I work on Scrivener, so I have a character template complete with photo for each of my main players and a few of the minor.
I couldn't work any other way.
kibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #102
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputation
As I write, a picture grows. Sometimes I come to visualize someone I know or an actor. Colin Farell with blue eyes for my (so far) favorite MC, Liam Neeson in a later book. However, I don't build my character accordingly. It works the other way around.

The men are always clear to me, the women not so much.
WriteMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #103
cmi0616
practical experience, FTW

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
I don't usually do it, but I knew I wanted to write a book with a hippie character in it after watching Goats with David Duchovny.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #104
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
I rarely do it, but must admit that one of the main characters in my most recent draft just happens to look exactly like an actor named Tyler Hoechlin.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #105
TheWordsmith
practical experience, FTW

TheWordsmith is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieglinde View Post
I do that a lot. My current WIP's two leads look like David Tennant and Misha Collins.
Well, yeh. I could cast them in anything ... well, maybe not cement! But, I couldn't use them as characters in my work. Too limiting. But I do like your train of thought!
TheWordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #106
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudge
The only novel I've "cast" anyone in I cast with real people. Not people I know, just people I've seen: a motorcyclist getting pulled over by a cop in the parking lot of my gym; the kid who works the drive-thru at the chicken place I like.... that kind of thing.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote