Which dog story would you rather read?

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Now that my novel is finished and on sub, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to work on next. I wrote a memoir about one of my dogs, which needs a re-write, and I'm also considering writing a different memoir about one of my past rescues. I'm really having a hard time deciding, and I was hoping to get some insight on which might be the better way to spend my time, and I was trying to get some opinions on which story you would you rather read:

(1) A funny story about a woman who spends years taking her disobedient dog to a dozen trainers trying to make her dog into something he wasn't.

(2) A tearjerker about a couple who adopted an abused dog with behavioral and health issues because they thought they could give him a better life, but inadvertently made him worse.

Also, if neither one sounds interesting, I'd like to know that too. Thanks for any insight!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score

1 sounds like it'll annoy the living hell out of me. I can't stand people who can't raise their dogs/children and complain about their own mistakes, reflected on their "children". I apologize , but I had to say it.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com

1 sounds like it'll annoy the living hell out of me. I can't stand people who can't raise their dogs/children and complain about their own mistakes, reflected on their "children". I apologize , but I had to say it.

Don't apologize. I'm looking for honesty and I got it. Thanks!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One all the way!

But then again ...

Your choices sound like two sides of a similar coin -- both interesting. So why not combine them and work some of that doggy-tragi-comee magic? By doing this you'd have plenty of laughs and plenty of tears meaning a much fuller and more engaging novel.

The only problem I can see is that the satirising human behaviour through the way people treat their dogs has already been done -- and done bloody well -- in the film Best In Show.

That said, if you combined the sad and the humorous you might be rocking a different formula.

Woof!

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care for sad. So, I'd be more likely to read #1, particularly if it is something like someone trying to get obedience out of a Pyrenees...

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
One all the way!

But then again ...

Your choices sound like two sides of a similar coin -- both interesting. So why not combine them and work some of that doggy-tragi-comee magic? By doing this you'd have plenty of laughs and plenty of tears meaning a much fuller and more engaging novel.

The only problem I can see is that the satirising human behaviour through the way people treat their dogs has already been done -- and done bloody well -- in the film Best In Show.

That said, if you combined the sad and the humorous you might be rocking a different formula.

Woof!

Thanks. I actually tried that the first time round, and it just didn't work as well as I had hoped. (Two different dogs, two different time periods, not much to relate the two)

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I don't care for sad. So, I'd be more likely to read #1, particularly if it is something like someone trying to get obedience out of a Pyrenees...

Not a Pyrenees, although I could see why that would be interesting. :D

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I actually tried that the first time round, and it just didn't work as well as I had hoped. (Two different dogs, two different time periods, not much to relate the two)

Ghost dogs at a haunted training centre? :eyebrowpopsmiley:

taichiquan.panda

not the popular one and ok with it
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely # 1.

We have 2 dachshunds, a female who's 8 and a male who's almost 7. Our female is a rescue we've had for 6 years, and she is the sweetest, most lovable dog. Our male we've had since he was a pup, and he's the most stubborn dog I've ever seen. After training, medications, aromatherapy, and exercise till we both fall down, the best behavioral modification tool we found is a squirt gun. Seriously. :)

Last edited:

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Thanks everyone. Number 1 is actually the one I originally trunked, and it still not coming out the way I had hoped, so I trunked it again. Maybe one day I will re-write it again from scratch and see if that helps, rather than constantly fiddling with what I have already written.

taichiquan.panda - your 7 yr old daschund sounds a lot like my Lab - the one the book is about. My girls are both SO much easier. :) Maybe it's a male thing?!

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I stopped reading dog fiction when I was 10 years old. My mom asked why and I told her that the dog always died in the end. My mom was trying to teach me about life, I guess, and said to me, "Honey, dogs do die."

"Yeah," I said. "People die, too. My the main human character in every novel doesn't die in the end."

So, I'd read either if the dog didn't die in the end. (I'd like to see a happy ending, either way.)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'd vote for 1 - especially if it were told from the dog's POV.

I always imagine my dog is mocking me behind my back when I'm trying to train her.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I'd vote for 1 - especially if it were told from the dog's POV.

I always imagine my dog is mocking me behind my back when I'm trying to train her.

From the dog's point of view is a great idea!

As far as your dog mocking you . . . I have a Fila. I've had three -- all bitches. Believe it, they're mocking you, lol.

No true, self-respecting Fila will EVER win an obedience title -- and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Raspberry

Germlish Speaker
Registered
Reaction score
No idea whether the originator of this thread is still around, but there is book about (1) published in Germany. Just saying. :)

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
No idea whether the originator of this thread is still around.

I haven't been to the forum in some time, but happened to pop by and see that this thread is still active. Thanks everyone for the thoughts...

In the end, I decided to keep the original dog memoir in the trunk, forget about writing a new one, and I moved on to a second novel. I just couldn't wrap my head around an idea that I was one hundred percent on board with, so I figured it'd be better to - not to be too corny - just let sleeping dogs lie. :)